Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Denton , Texas
Small holes on Zip Dee awning

Hello fellow Airstreamers.
I am a full timer and just saw several small holes on my awning near where it attaches to the body of the Airstream.

I have a 2019 25FB Globetrotter.
We have had a very wet, damp summer in Fort Mitchell, AL.
I always retract the awning if I am leaving even for the shortest errand.
Has anyone had issues like this with their awning? Please see pictures added.
Any ideas of how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BF2BCCE-182D-42D6-B30D-83392EC362C5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	404903   Click image for larger version

Name:	5901F825-92D5-4CB3-83C9-92E2FE2DC38E.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	404904  

Rak187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
We had similar holes. Seems to be caused by minor debris on the awning when retracting and it gets caught between the awning and the plastic tape on the skin under the awning. I bet if you inspect the plastic tape you will see tears and scapes where the holes are located
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
We had similar holes. Seems to be caused by minor debris on the awning when retracting and it gets caught between the awning and the plastic tape on the skin under the awning. I bet if you inspect the plastic tape you will see tears and scapes where the holes are located

We have noticed on recently. Any advice on how to repair it other than replacing the whole awning? Thanks.
Neen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I'd contact Zip Dee directly. If there is a suitable way to patch the fabric they'll know and be able to direct you. Perhaps there is a way to use adhesive to glue on pieces of matching fabric to patch the holes.

Short of that, I'd be looking for a way to patch the fabric before I replaced the whole thing. Zip Dee will be able to sell you the matching fabric by the yard, and one idea would be to sew a second layer of fabric about 12" wide across the top of the awning from end to end to cover all the holes. Of course, this or any other similar repair is going to mean taking the fabric off the awning to get it in a sewing machine.

But before doing anything I'd want to know if Zip Dee thought it was a workable solution.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I'd contact Zip Dee directly. If there is a suitable way to patch the fabric they'll know and be able to direct you. Perhaps there is a way to use adhesive to glue on pieces of matching fabric to patch the holes.

Short of that, I'd be looking for a way to patch the fabric before I replaced the whole thing. Zip Dee will be able to sell you the matching fabric by the yard, and one idea would be to sew a second layer of fabric about 12" wide across the top of the awning from end to end to cover all the holes. Of course, this or any other similar repair is going to mean taking the fabric off the awning to get it in a sewing machine.

But before doing anything I'd want to know if Zip Dee thought it was a workable solution.
I have become a big fan of Tear-Aid patches. There are 2 formulations, type A for fabric and type B for vinyl. I have used both on outdoor gear for years. Good stuff...sticks and lasts well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
I always travel with a small plug-in leaf blower. Always quickly blow off awning before rolling up. Doesn't take much. Careful not to disturb follow campers.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Reviving this thread. Same issue on my GT 25FB. A 2022 model year. See photo. I did two things:

1) Filed a service request with my dealer as I’m still on warranty. They were gonna call AS about it. Awaiting their verdict.

2) Found other threads where folks have gotten matching fabric from Zip Dee and have applied patches using silicone caulk. Called Zip Dee and that is indeed the method they recommend.

I’ve yet to decide what I’ll do. Waiting for the answer from my dealer. If they turn down the replacement request, I’ll patch using the above method. Will be sure to report back either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	434413  
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My awning has those holes in the same place. I believe they were cause by the pull down strap. Anyway, I put some Goop adhesive on the top side. It's clear and is easy to use.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
My awning has those holes in the same place. I believe they were cause by the pull down strap. Anyway, I put some Goop adhesive on the top side. It's clear and is easy to use.
Thanks for the Goop adhesive tip. Will check it out.

Cannot be the pull down strap in my case. It’s a powered awning.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
City , State
I had a burn hole in my awning on my Globetrotter.

Don’t buy a yard of fabric. Buy a sample or two. The Globetrotter awning fabric is Sunbrealla Tillman Shale.

I bought a sample for a few dollars from Sailrite.com. It was more than enough for at least one hole.

Cut the patch larger than the hole and apply an adhesive like Tear Mender. I used it and it was great. It is low viscosity and gets into the weave of the fabric. Any other sealing/adhesive material may not saturate the fabric so well. The Tear Mender set up very quickly.

Best!
RamTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTruck View Post
I had a burn hole in my awning on my Globetrotter.

Don’t buy a yard of fabric. Buy a sample or two. The Globetrotter awning fabric is Sunbrealla Tillman Shale.

I bought a sample for a few dollars from Sailrite.com. It was more than enough for at least one hole.

Cut the patch larger than the hole and apply an adhesive like Tear Mender. I used it and it was great. It is low viscosity and gets into the weave of the fabric. Any other sealing/adhesive material may not saturate the fabric so well. The Tear Mender set up very quickly.

Best!
Another good tip. Thanks.

How long has your patch been on the awning? It’s been holding for a long time?