Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss View Post
Thanks for your posts. I have a quick question regarding the ProPride compatibility w/ the 27FB...do the ProPride weight distribution jacks impede access to the front storage compartment? Does the compartment door open as fully as w/o the ProPride?

Many thanks, trying to decide between a new 28 and 27...the P3 is not optional.
On our 2015 30' Bunk the ProPride does limit the opening of the front compartment due to the jacks being behind the tank cover but it is workable. Not an issue considering the benefits of the P3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3 Front Storage Door.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	237827  
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
The picture of the 30' above makes it look a bit tight, but yes our P3 does prevent opening the door all the way, but that said, we use the front for storage all the time as we spend 5 months a year in the rig...we just have to finagle larger items through the opening. I agree that this slight impediment is a small price for the stability and handling of the P3.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Dakota

Although you began this thread some time ago, I wish to reiterate the comments you made about Windish. I went there two years ago to purchase some parts (typical replacement stuff, nothing too expensive or unusual) - I was there almost two hours and every time the guy was helping me, he stopped to answer the phone (for someone else) or to respond to someone from the service dept. Have poor luck with them. Later, tried to get them to do an inspection in mid-March - said they were all booked up and could not get to me. I have heard that unless you purchased your TT from them, they are not interested in helping, following up, or providing any service. Terrible situation.

You mentioned that you took your TT to a different service shop and really liked the person who helped you. Please feel free to pass along that contact. As you can see, I am also in Colorado.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mtn',

There used to be a dealer in Colorado Springs, but they no longer sell them. I think they still service them. The name is Intermountain Coach. We talked to a salesman there in 2007 and he told me things that weren't true and then disappeared, so we disappeared too. I met someone several years ago who told me their service dep't was good, but neither story says much either way.

Our experience with the Denver dealer included difficulty getting things done in general plus what I told in post #5. Though Airstream pays dealers to finish all the adjustments and get the trailer ready for use, it appeared Windish did as little as possible—one of the window locks behind the gaucho was loose allowing the window to move and then get sucked out by a passing truck—result no window. Windish refused to take responsibility, but I talked to someone at Airstream and they sent me a new window at no cost. The frame must have been bent slightly and the window didn't close right, but when I took the trailer to the factory for warranty repairs, they fixed that at no cost.

It is unfortunate that it is difficult to find good dealers, but you can buy them online from the more reputable dealers and if you are far from a dealer, work out something with Airstream for warranty work nearer to you. Or you can go to Jackson Ctr. where they do very good work. None of this encourages people to buy Airstreams, but they sell everything they make, so there is little economic impetus to have a better dealer network.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Gene

My TT has now been at Camping World for almost one month. I asked them to perform routine inspection and repack wheel bearings. Bearings, no problem (but then I got a surprise as the price quoted on the board was 'starting at' which really means per axle). I did not know this. Routine inspection still in progress... they can't seem to inspect much without either finding something wrong with it or charging to tinker with it. And they claim they haven't been able to finish inspection for several reasons. Very frustrating.

Incidentally, I am in the market for certain parts - a new fridge, a hot water heater, and possibly a furnace. The size of refrigerator that I had has been discontinued and only sizes larger or smaller are available. I learned yesterday that there is some sort of a kit for smaller refers, but I will have to completely rebuild the cabinet to make the larger unit fit properly. And I find it near impossible to get anyone to make suggestions or give advice, mush less deal with anyone who has dealt with AS before. I guess RV dealer seem to think we're all made of $$. Even if I were loaded and couldn't care less about $$, I still do not think I would appreciate being treated as if my sole purpose on this planet was to transfer my wealth (assumed or not) to someone else.

After my recent experiences, I have made two firm promises: When purchasing an AS, check it out thoroughly and do not hesitate to pay a bit more for one that has been well taken care of and maintained. Also, do some research and learn to do EVERYTHING yourself; do not depend on any dealers or service centers. This is a bit like DIY home improvement - I only wish I had a bit more experience so that making repairs were easier and did not take so much of my time.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Gene - after looking at your post again, it would appear I'm just a bit closer to Jackson City than you are! I hadn't really consider that as an option but perhaps it may make more sense to have several things done at the same time and with one trip!
Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
It seems too many dealers are more interested in selling Airstreams than servicing them correctly. If I have any major work needed on my Classic 25fb I'll probably take a week off work and haul out to Jackson Center, only 627 miles.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mtn',

A month at CW? That's crazy. I have seen stories on the Forum over the years about CW fixing things on an Airstream (plus overcharges) and they pretty much follow your experience. Sounds like they go out to your trailer every few days when they get a bill from a utility company, mortgage, or supplier and decide to have you pay it. I'd get it out of there fast (before Cristo makes it impossible to travel along the Arkansas R.). Among other things, there are threads here about how to repack wheel bearings (reminds me, I have to do mine). Airstream recommends every 6 months or some low amount of miles. I do them about every 15-20,000 mlles. I don't like to do them, but it is not the only thing I do that I don't want to. You're 300 miles closer to Jackson Center.

Wow, three parenthetical clauses in one paragraph—and now a dash. No semicolons—maybe I'm losing my mojo.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Gene

I picked up the rig yesterday. Just in time to drive home in the rain (actually, it's been raining here for almost one week). The only items completed on my checklist were the bearing repack and changing the head on my cord. I would have changed the head myself but I was told the part had to be special ordered and it was installed in between visits to see what was happening. I have to install a new fridge and this has proven to be a real nightmare... most AS people choose to replace the condenser or buy a new fridge. I would have done this except that my fridge was discontinued several years ago due to a defect in the valve. Because of this replacement parts are a bit difficult to find. They also made a model with the same dimensions but this too was discontinued a few years ago. This leaves me with two options - install a smaller one or a larger one. And the clowns at CW were either stumped or unwilling to offer any help (at least, not without charging me for their time).

When I first brought the TT to them I believed this would take only a few days. They appeared to be stalling. When I called a few days later, they told me that my TT had not been finished because this was 'not a priority.' I had to make a reservation just to get them to work on it - how could my place in line be any more or less of a priority as compared to someone else? I really didn't care for their answer. Then they stalled a bit more. And they willingly accepted when I asked them to install the fridge, but then nothing much happened. I found they had removed my old fridge but could not fit the new one. But of course, no one called to update me or tell me there was a problem.

A bit later, when other problems were found, I asked them to write up everything that needed to be done. Keep in mind that less than 50% of the inspection that I paid for had been completed. The list included 'diagnosing' any item that failed to work on initial inspection - actually looking at or trying to fix anything required that I also pay for the diagnostic for that item. The list of items came to $4000! And any repairs would be billed at $129.99/hr. I thought this was outrageous! And the problem is that I don't think they could actually do the work (but they sure would like to bill me for it).

My TT is now home. Now I just need to find the time to do all of this myself
Old 05-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Interesting, and disappointing info about both CW and Wildish. It's looking like I will continue to do 100% of my own work on the trailer. As well as the truck. And the boat.

We are presently in the process of getting our sailboat ready for hurricane season storage and we're heading back to the USA in three weeks. Can't wait to spring the truck and trailer from storage in Fort Collins and get up into the hills.

House in the islands going on the market, if anyone wants a home overlooking the Caicos Bank....
Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Try contacting Trailer & RV Refrigeration - Sales and Service Gas RV Refrigerators They redid the fridge in a friend's SOB. They actually rebuild the condensers themselves and have an excellent reputation.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Quote:
Try contacting Trailer & RV Refrigeration - Sales and Service Gas RV Refrigerators They redid the fridge in a friend's SOB. They actually rebuild the condensers themselves and have an excellent reputation.
I can't do that any longer... when you pay the RV dealer to 'dispose' of your fridge, they remove the entire unit and pull the doors off. They also cut the circuit board off, rending it unuseable. These guys are not about doing right by the customer, repairing anything, or doing anything to save you money - the entire process is geared towards jacking up your bill, charging you as much as they can, and hoping that you are too stupid or too lazy to do this yourself. I am angry - they didn't do very much and I could have used what I paid to pay for 1/2 of the cost of a new fridge. Shame on me. But now I will pass along my experience to all of you out there is AS land....
Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
There are some dealers (not just AS) who only want a sale of new merchandise and don't care to do a repair, which in many cases is not only less costly, but better. Shame on them.

IN the case of my friend's SOB refrigerator, when it packed out, he found out about the people in Tucson, and made arrangements to go there. One of his issues was that the SOB was constructed from the inside out and the refrigerator could not be taken out through the doorway (too narrow). The folks in Tucson slid the refer out and laid it down on the inside floor, removed the cooling unit and installed one that they had rebuilt. They are more meticulous in how they rebuild their cooling units (especially the welds), so that their rebuilt ones are usually better than the new ones. They take the old defective ones and rebuild them in their shop, ready to install again. RV repair shops who really care for their customers will order from these folks.
WBCCI 8080
Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
I wish I had known more... I didn't really think fixing my fridge was an option, especially in light of the leaky (and later discontinued) valve. I have made some calls and may be able to find a replacement unit in the same size.

Well, after my experiences with local RV dealers, I will definitely be doing more of my own work. It's really too bad... they have the tools, facilities, and experience to get you on your way but most are simply crooks. Nothing pisses me off more than thinking that this is how I will spend my free time, my leisure time, and my disposable income - only to find that they shits are really wolves in sheep's clothing - very disappointing and frustrating. Has anyone out there ever tried to fight back, to protest the charges, to demand a refund? That might be my next step.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
MtnCamper07, put it behind you and consider it a lesson in the course of life. Over the years I've had various RV's, and I learned that most dealers are interested in sales, not service. When I acquired my 1987 Excella in 2011, I took it directly to JC (the mothership) and found that service was done well and while-you-wait. Since then I have made it a point to go to JC twice a year and get whatever servicing I need. I do this on my trip to-and-from Ontario, Canada to Arizona. The only caveat is that you must book in advance.
WBCCI 8080