Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Augusta , Georgia
Question RV restoration up in Dalton GA

Has anyone used this company and if so, do you have anh photos, or wish to share your experience?

Thanks,
Elizabeth in Augusta GA
1969 Tradewind
da_lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I used a company in NJ, but you might want to post a link to the company's site, in order for people to comment. What is the name of the company?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Augusta , Georgia
Here is the website.

http://www.rv-restoration.net/

Thanks,
Elizabeth
Old 09-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Elizabeth,

The website leaves much to be desired. I really didn't understand some of the work that was done, such as sectioning the frame on the '78 Sovereign, or fabricating crossmembers, especially given that the fabricated crossmembers look to be nowhere near the same size as the originals...you can still get original crossmembers...I had two crossmembers replaced in the rear of our Sovereign. Only 1/2 of the thickness of insulation is being replaced in the belly too...2" vs 4". Not good, when you're in cold weather. I'm not a big fan of using styrofoam either. I like the pink stuff. When you start Jerry rigging stuff, I get leary. Maybe someone with some experience with these guys can chime in, but it looks suspect to me.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
The website leaves much to be desired....but it looks suspect to me.
As much frame and belly pan damage as was shown there HAD to be some perimeter floor rot.

Not one shot of any interior panels being removed.

As far as I know, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of re-fastening the "C" channel to the floor and then to the frame without removing interior panels (possible exception is the famous factory "Elephant Ear" fix of years past, now known to have fallen out of favor).

I don't care who does it, without proper photographic documentation of a proper fix, you might as well not say you did anything at all. Too much is at risk and things are too easy to cover up by simply putting new flooring (or a new sub-floor) over an old rotted floor.

Also, make sure you run any "rebuild" over a set of scales prior to purchase - all the "new" looks great, but every bit of it adds weight.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Lets just say that I live a very few miles from the outfit in Dalton, Ga. When it came time to do a bunch of work: New heat pump, recondition the exterior, an awning, some plumbing, and more.......I checked these guys out and ended up going the 800 miles to P&S in Ohio......Well worth the trip.......Good luck.....Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Augusta , Georgia
Is there anywhere close to the Augusta area, that is reputable with good results and customer service?

Preferably within 250 miles????

Thanks,

Elizabeth and Tom
Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #8

1966 22' Safari
Martinez , Georgia
Rivet airstream polishing and repair

I know this response is extremely late to your request for someone near Augusta, GA who works on AS's but here goes my pitch... I've been working on a shell off renovation of my 1966 Safari 22' for about 2 years while still being employed full time at a local chemical plant as a boiler operator. Previous to my present job I had over 20 years experience in carpentry, plumbing and residential electrical and wiring that I gained while being a Navy Seabee of which I retired from almost 20 years ago. I've always enjoyed construction and renovations of which I did allot of while I was in the military. It was never work to me, it was more like being able to do my favorite hobby every day I went on the job site. I've been able to experience that same love and passion while renovating my own AS. So, if you're still in need of some work on your baby, I'd be more than interested in talking to you about it. I'm about 2 years away from retiring from my boiler operator job but will be building a shop on my property within the next 2-3 months to start my 3rd career of Airstream polishing and repair work. Not sure if including my email address on AF's is appropriate, but here goes: tmcnutt@bellsouth.net. I'm ready and raring to get started on working on my favorite thing...Airstreams
tims2twins is offline   Reply With Quote