Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Malfunctioning grey tank valve

Just picked up a 2021 AS FB23 last week and am currently on the road having a problem with grey water tank valve. Black water valve works perfect but when we open the grey water valve completely only a small amount flows out. It takes two hours to drain the tank leaving it wide open. Where should I look for this issue?
viking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Are you sure you are opening the valve all the way? It usually should be 31/2 inches to open fully. if not then take some Silicone spray and shoot it at the valve rod moving it slowly back and forth it may just be hung up.
If that dose not change things then.

Take a hose at the entrance to the the grey valve and open it and back- flush it, there might be some debris hanging up at the exit.
If that dose not work then check your vent stack opening on the roof (you might need to remove the cover and poke a light down. ( I suspect that should not be your problem).

Good hunting
Old 10-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
Are you sure you are opening the valve all the way? It usually should be 31/2 inches to open fully. if not then take some Silicone spray and shoot it at the valve rod moving it slowly back and forth it may just be hung up.
If that dose not change things then.

Take a hose at the entrance to the the grey valve and open it and back- flush it, there might be some debris hanging up at the exit.
If that dose not work then check your vent stack opening on the roof (you might need to remove the cover and poke a light down. ( I suspect that should not be your problem).

Good hunting
Thanks. We did open the valve all the way and even poked a stick up inside as far as it will go.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking1 View Post
Thanks. We did open the valve all the way and even poked a stick up inside as far as it will go.
As mentioned, try sticking a hose up the main waste pipe and try to 'catch it' where the grey drain pipe intersects and then flush it. Mine was trickling recently and it turns out there was a lot of debris (coffee grounds in my case) that had built up and blocked the opening. If that doesn't work try a short flexible snake that you can wiggle up into the grey tank drain pipe.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Parts book has illustrations of the drain valve and piping layout which may help in getting the hose in the right direction for the grey tank. It shows the grey valve in and to the left the small pipe entering on the 90 ell of the larger pipe the valve is ver close. Run the water hose up the pipe till you hit the restriction. Probably construction trash...... hope it comes out.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
2021 workmanship

A sloppy pipe connection may be the reason for slow draining because the sliding valve seems to be opening and closing correctly. Maybe some kind of Mickey Mouse patch for a poor alignment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6076.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	382531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6074.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	382532  

Old 11-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
We had a similar problem with the black water tank on our Class C. It turned out that when they used a hole saw to cut out the opening for the pipe. When they did this, the disk fell into the tank, and subsequently covered most of the drain hole. One possibility might be to move the trailer forward a little and brake sharply (trying to move the disk over a little). If you get improved flow (even for a little bit, until the disk drifts back over to the drain hole), this might be your problem.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I open the black tank, close the grey hook up a hose and back flush.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6AF114F7-896A-4C30-9606-35383BD6A7AE_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	382543  
Old 11-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
We had a similar problem with the black water tank on our Class C. It turned out that when they used a hole saw to cut out the opening for the pipe. When they did this, the disk fell into the tank, and subsequently covered most of the drain hole. One possibility might be to move the trailer forward a little and brake sharply (trying to move the disk over a little). If you get improved flow (even for a little bit, until the disk drifts back over to the drain hole), this might be your problem.

Now that I'm home I'll the snake line.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
So I finally scored a repair date for warranty work on the grey tank valve and low-flowing furnace vents. Although my initial salesman in Texas told me via email that his techs insist that the grey water valve was intentionally designed this year to flow extremely slow for whatever reason, the local guys in Temecula found different. Seems like some kind of cap was loose in the grey water tank that was causing the blockage. They found it and pulled it out.
I have not tested the valve yet because I am still waiting on a solution for the low-flow furnace vent. No one seems to have an answer to that yet...ho hum