Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Keys failing to operate flip lock.

Ok AS addicts, all the sudden my keys won't open my flip lock for the outside compartment. I have removed it from the inside, sprayed wd40 in it. Tried all four keys giggling, wiggling and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1599171317576354491542359732243.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	377629  
jjgoodie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Wrong key? Ask me how I know....

More likely a frozen tumbler or broken tumbler spring. So work the tumblers with the key by moving it in and out after liberal use of WD40 or a carbon lubricant. Also rap on the tumbler housing to free it up while working it by inserting and withdrawing the key.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Had the same problem last week. Locked fine in the morning; no movement in the afternoon. Mobile locksmith came out, cut new keys, fixed in 40' for $60.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Wrong key? Ask me how I know....

More likely a frozen tumbler or broken tumbler spring. So work the tumblers with the key by moving it in and out after liberal use of WD40 or a carbon lubricant. Also rap on the tumbler housing to free it up while working it by inserting and withdrawing the key.
LOL, I think it's RS141 CH751 mysteriously fits also
Old 09-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
This happened to me on the road with my compartment locked shut. I had to break the tumbler with a screwdriver to get in. I have looked online for new tumbler but cannot find the correct item.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
brighton , east sussex
UK Airstreamer

I have a 2018 534 and the locks are not of the highest quality. I have had three replaced under warranty . The pins inside just decide to give up the ghost without warning . Happened on my gas bottle locker recent completely without warning . No cup of tea for about 3 hours until I finally took a drill to the offending lock. Ah the joys of owning an Aitstream
robertwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Florence , Alabama
Just a fyi- WD-40 attracts dust and will hang up the pins in locks. It goes in good and will work better after first use, but after a while as dust starts getting attracted to it, you will have problems with the pins sticking. I deal with commercial locks and have seen this numerous times over the 20+ years of working with locks. Only use some kind of dry lube. You can try tapping the bottom edge of the lock with the key in it and see if it starts working.
rowejd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
I had the same problem when on the road. I had to open from inside the small hatch under the bed. When I removed the essential stuff I needed for the remained of our trip, I reassembled the latch (still in the locked position) until we got home. Our AS dealer told me the only remedy was to replace the latch. After doing so, I will not lock this every again. It seems AS could install a more reliable latch on such a high end trailer.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowejd10 View Post
Just a fyi- WD-40 attracts dust and will hang up the pins in locks. It goes in good and will work better after first use, but after a while as dust starts getting attracted to it, you will have problems with the pins sticking. I deal with commercial locks and have seen this numerous times over the 20+ years of working with locks. Only use some kind of dry lube. You can try tapping the bottom edge of the lock with the key in it and see if it starts working.

I used to use graphite, but my local locksmith told me they don't use that anymore. He switched me to a Teflon lubricant. It works great!

When I was younger, I went through a mail-order locksmith course. Locks are kind of a hobby of mine. I was disappointed in the locks used on airstreams. It takes my about 5 seconds to pick one of these. These locks only keep the honest people honest. I would probably replace them but it doesn't take much effort to defeat the compartment doors so I haven't decided if it's worth the effort.
DanHogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
This happened to me on the road with my compartment locked shut. I had to break the tumbler with a screwdriver to get in. I have looked online for new tumbler but cannot find the correct item.
Thanks for reply. I took my bed apart and was able take lock to locksmith. He's trying to get it but so far no luck.. I may have to buy new lock. Anyone have a link?
Old 09-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
jrproducts.net look for door locks. They have the ones keyed to the 751 key.

I bought a couple few years ago just in case.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
My locksmith swears by WD-40. He says it repels the moisture eliminating internal corrosion. I think the older locks are are more durable.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have a friend who's had one replaced at least 2x for the same thing. I fiddled with one of the ones taken off for a bit and never did figure out what had stuck the thing in the locked position.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Arlington , Washington
Just used the key lock.

After locking ourselves out twice with the flip lock, I disabled it and just use the keyed bolt lock. I had taken the lock apart several times with no success. Did not want to buy a new lock, so bought a newer trailer instead that does not have the flip lock.
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proton View Post
After locking ourselves out twice with the flip lock, I disabled it and just use the keyed bolt lock. I had taken the lock apart several times with no success. Did not want to buy a new lock, so bought a newer trailer instead that does not have the flip lock.
If you read the post, you'll see that it refers to the compartment locks and has a picture of one.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
SAN DIEGO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgoodie8 View Post
Ok AS addicts, all the sudden my keys won't open my flip lock for the outside compartment. I have removed it from the inside, sprayed wd40 in it. Tried all four keys giggling, wiggling and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

You are better than me. First day owning the AS, Today!!!! I borrow that 141 Key right in that keyhole. Any suggestions on getting it out and replacing without going to dealer? Can you keep the plastic and replace the metal lock?

Cheers everyone, stay safe this holiday weekend.
mooseson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:13 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
SAN DIEGO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brundom View Post
I had the same problem when on the road. I had to open from inside the small hatch under the bed. When I removed the essential stuff I needed for the remained of our trip, I reassembled the latch (still in the locked position) until we got home. Our AS dealer told me the only remedy was to replace the latch. After doing so, I will not lock this every again. It seems AS could install a more reliable latch on such a high end trailer.

Bummer... I am going to make a better solution than this piece of junk.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
The lock fix

Quote:

After a half an hour with a good lock smith, he found the answer. The soft aluminum cover where the key goes in gets bent inward after use. He took a small pick and bent the indentation back straight so the key goes in the correct depth. Moral of the story, be gentle with this cover, it bends in very easly an you key wll stop working. Thanks for all the replys, and learn something everyday...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200905_130456.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	377757  
Old 09-06-2020, 06:28 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
SAN DIEGO , California
Quote:
After a half an hour with a good lock smith, he found the answer. The soft aluminum cover where the key goes in gets bent inward after use. He took a small pick and bent the indentation back straight so the key goes in the correct depth. Moral of the story, be gentle with this cover, it bends in very easly an you key wll stop working. Thanks for all the replys, and learn something everyday...

Thanks for sharing. Now, how do zo get the broken key out of the hole?
Old 09-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Arlington , Washington
Removing broken key

If you can not remove the lock from the backside, take a small fish hook and straighten it out. Insert in the key hole and use the barb side to fish the broken key out. You can also buy a complete set of professional broken key removal kits on line. Regarding the mechanical flip locks and sliders, they are the same ones that are on the cheapest Jayco trailers. I agree with the observation, that buying a top of the line trailer should also include top of the line accessories, but they are the same ones in all the R.V. trailers. I haven't bothered to lock compartments for the same reason. You don't have to pick these locks, a hammer and a flat head screw driver inserted in the lock work fine.
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote