Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #1

1996 30' Excella
1998 33' Land Yacht
Orlean , Virginia
Furnace problem

Recently the furnace on our 2015 27’ FB quit blowing hot air. I took off the exterior cover for the furnace and discovered that the switch was off. After turning the switch on the furnace came to life, but only for about 30 seconds and then turn off again. It repeated this action while I checked all the wires. After about 20 minutes I gave up and started to put everything back together. When I reinstalled the exhaust pipe the furnace came back to life and ran as it should. Did I stumble onto an easy fix or is there a sensor that shuts everything down when it gets too hot? Also why did that switch turn off, who wants to remove 11 screws in order to flip a switch?
Charlie
charlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
As I understand that switch, it’s an “on/off/reset” switch, which leads me to suspect the furnace “tripped” itself to off. Since you took it apart and reassembled it and that fixed it, I would guess there was some sort of restriction somewhere that you dislodged.

These are just guesses, but they make sense to me.

As to why the switch is in that spot, my presumption is that many trailer models have an easier means of access vs Airstream.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I recall a similar thread like this and it turned out to be a ground wire problem. The exhaust pipe was acting as the ground.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #4
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have seen loose connections on the Scotch Lock electrical splices. Try wiggling all the wires when the furnace is running. If loose, use a butt splicer to connect the wires. You will have to double over the single conductor so the other two wires will have enough room to fit in the other end of the splice.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote