Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Fort Worth , Texas
Exterior care/prevention for new Airstream

Hello!
We will soon be picking up our new Airstream! Upon getting the unit, I'd like to know what exterior preventative measures we should take right away. What should we do later on and intermittently? For example, I recall reading months ago that we should treat all the seams and rivets to prevent corrosion due to a breach in the clear coat in the areas. My husband thinks I'm crazy and says most new Airstream owners don't do this and it's therefore not necessary. I like to be proactive rather than reactive. See my list below. Please suggest best products, timing of treatments and note anything I'm missing?

1. Treat Rivets (which product? / how to best apply? / how often? / Is this a common maintenance item for most airstreamers, or is it done by only a small percentage of owners?
2. Treat seams - I found the acrylic pen in Airstream store. (how often?)
3. Treat window seals (I've seen 303 mentioned. Is that the best product to lubricate the seals to prevent from sticking and drying out? Please advise.)
4. Walbernize (pink version) - Should we apply this right away upon taking delivery before our first road trip? Twice a year? We live in N. Texas and it will be stored under cover on three sides.
5. Which soap is best for washing her? I've seen Maguires mentioned. Is there a particular one we should use? Or another brand?
6. WD-40 for non-aluminum surfaces?
7. Lastly, are there any sealants (for leaks in various places), corrosion preventatives, etc. that we should keep on hand at home and on travels? Please suggest brands and usage.

Final newbie question: What do you use to block vents, etc. from water intrusion when washing your Airstream? I've looked online and can't find answer.

You people are the best! I know this info. can be found elsewhere, but I am overwhelmed after weeding through the forum entries on these subjects.
Explorers3 is offline   Reply With Quote