Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2023, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Dometic Refrig Not Starting on LP

This is a 2017 FC 23FB.

While prepping for an upcoming trip South I’m testing my Dometic refrigerator. It starts fine on electric, but when attempting to start in on LP it continues clicking and then shuts off. While it’s clicking I can see the blue flame - so I know it’s getting gas - but for some reason it just won’t stay lit. After a couple of attempts the “Check” light illuminates on the panel. Has anyone else had this issue or have some suggestions?

We used the coach this past October and everything worked fine - we came home and winterized as normal.

Thank you!

Curt
ibosket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Id try resetting the propane regulator if you haven’t already. Then you can start looking at the fridge components.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thank you for your reply.

I was just about to do some other tests and cleaning to see if it would help - but I decided to try it one more time beforehand. Of course, happily, it started right up on LP like normal!

It’s been cold and damp here - so maybe that had something to do with it. I had turned on the furnace and warmed up the interior for a while also - but I don’t know if that had any affect either. It’s a mystery!
Old 01-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
One thing I always do before switching to propane after the rig has been sitting a while is to light my cooktop and run all three burners for a few minutes. This seems to take care of any air in the line, and the fridge always seems to light and stay lit after I do it.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Yes, I had done that as well. As I stated earlier I could see that the blue flame was on - it just wouldn’t stay lit.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:19 PM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Check the little spade connectors that connect the flame sensor to the gas valve, they can get corroded and loose and any interruption to that flame sensor, even if momentarily, will cause the unit to shut down. It doesn't take a lot to interfere with the signal because it is in millivolts.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:23 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Do other propane appliances fire up normally ? If yes that a good indicator of healthy regulator.

This fridge flame is real small.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Burlington , Vermont
LP Gas to Dometic Fridge

We have this same issue frequently on our 2011 with an original fridge. It used to be very occasional but now it's something we seem to have to deal with fairly often. I've had the components professionally cleaned and the regulator inspected, but still it happens.

For now, what does seem to solve it is running the range burners first. So it must have to do with air in the lines, but I'm not sure why that issue seems to be happening more often.
TomPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
I’d guess it’s the thermocouple or the control board or the wiring in between. I have a refrigerator about the same age which used to be real finicky, but after several mods she now work’s beautifully. And I live in Texas.

I’m sure the flame sensor has been checked visually. Here is a link to a good service manual.
https://fourwheelcampers.com/NewDome...atorManual.pdf. I keep that PDF on my phone.

I had problems with my lower control board and replaced it with the dinosaur board. Best thing I ever did. When I had problems later with the unit doing a rapid fire switch between gas and AC, I called their tech support. Those are real people with real knowledge of how things work. And incredibly helpful. The guy asked me to check voltage at a point on the board. I called him back and he said that problem pointed to a switch on the upper board. He told me to operate the switch many times and see if that cleaned it up. It did. I subsequently pulled the upper board and cleaned the switch with contact cleaner.

All that to say, I saved a whole lot of money by switching to the dinosaur board. Mostly due to their tech support.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
agree with the above, but i would also check the burn tube for spiders. i rotate in twice a year and place a lg k9 flea collar ( half each at the WH and refer) just below the tubes. never seen a spider or a dauber.

Edit: photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4210.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	427405  
Old 01-20-2023, 05:35 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
agree with the above, but i would also check the burn tube for spiders. i rotate in twice a year and place a lg k9 flea collar ( half each at the WH and refer) just below the tubes. never seen a spider or a dauber.Edit: photo
\

^^^^^^^
This

....Checking & cleaning is now part of every Spring get-ready. It started as disassembly & spraying everything with brakleen...I now use 60psi from the garage compressor and blo the bugs & crud out.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-21-2023, 09:20 AM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Posting your units model number can help also. If this is still unresolved, how long before it does what your described in 1st post.

"but when attempting to start in on LP it continues clicking and then shuts off. While it’s clicking I can see the blue flame - so I know it’s getting gas - but for some reason it just won’t stay lit. After a couple of attempts the “Check” light illuminates on the panel."

The attached Dometic manual has diagnostics for flame failure after 10 seconds or 3 minutes. See pg 4 ref 13 and 14 but some info may not apply due to model specifics.

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Fridge Manual 36044804.pdf (1.70 MB, 32 views)
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 01-22-2023, 05:48 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thank you. As I stated in Post #3 herein, this issue resolved on its own. However I appreciate all the suggestions and will use some of the cleaning techniques mentioned.

Curt
Old 01-22-2023, 07:23 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Curt,

Darn it, missed that by a mile. safe travels.

Gary