Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Strongsville , Ohio
Send a message via Skype™ to sfalvo
Chipmunks

Not sure where to post this but I have at least on chipmunk if not a family I need to run out of my trailer. Any suggestions that have worked for others would be awesome. Really don't want to poison them and have them die and stink in the trailer. Please help!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Airstream Forums mobile app
sfalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Try loud hip hop with a lotta bass.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Worked in Panama.....
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Got a cat? No not to kill just to scare it or them out chipmunks avoid anything that an eat them! Dogs, cats or winged raptors work!
Cliff
Old 05-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Buy/borrow a cat?

The only way is to trap and relocate them, then crawl all over your trailer and find every hole. Anything bigger than a dime needs to get sealed.

I've had good luck with these traps ...
Amazon.com: havahart animal trap
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Chipmunks, (ie. ground squirrels) always return to the same place to live. Running them out is only temporary. We had them bad in the yard (eating all our ornamentals). The wife and kids wouldn't let me use the pellet gun, so I live trapped them and took them about 2 blocks away to the park/wetland. That works well. Use sunflower seeds as bait. I caught 5 - 7 a day this way. In a week they were gone and haven't had them since.
I used the "haveahart" small squirrel/rabbit size

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Baby (better half) has turf law which in short means love animals but not on our turf then they must be let's say a permanent solution yes termination. I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps and she tells me to let the creator sort them out!
Cliff
Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
RM, so you terminate them or let the creator sort them out? I'm confused. This sound like two different solutions.

If you've left it to the creator, he's obviously already working his magic.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
The airstream smell like a rodent farm again or a few dead chipmunks let's see. I do like animals and the whole nature thing but I will kill the rodents and I eat meat (haven't tried chipmunk) squirrel rabbit cow pig chicken. No real difference between killing mice chipmunks or opossums then cockroaches in the airstream!
Cliff
Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
The airstream smell like a rodent farm again or a few dead chipmunks let's see. I do like animals and the whole nature thing but I will kill the rodents and I eat meat (haven't tried chipmunk) squirrel rabbit cow pig chicken. No real difference between killing mice chipmunks or opossums then cockroaches in the airstream!
Cliff
Yep, God gave man fire and pointed teeth for one reason. Cook and eat meat. No sushi nor overly rare food for me!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Like mine still moving!
Cliff
Old 05-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
chipmunk problem

get some wolf pea( I know, that is the hard part) apply to area surrounding trailer....or try some of your own, worked for my shed in the woods!
joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
The two mice invasions we have suffered on the road were while camping without power. We bought a set (four) of those little electronic mouse chasers that plug into the wall sockets (from some big box store or the local Ace hardware )and have never had a mouse when we had power to the trailer.

twobikes + an Airstream: MICE!!
http://airgo.blogspot.com/2012/10/pe...s-that-go.html

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Downy dryer sheets will keep rodents out. Place them all around. Under bed, dinette in cabinets.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Name them Simon, Theodore and Alvin and teach them to sing harmony.

Which of course means trap them live with a small Havahart trap. I even trap my mice in a Havahart trap. They were here first.

I think chipmunks will visit your trailer but won't make it home like mice and packrats.

I have trapped about a dozen skunks in a Havahart trap. Works real good. Of course it could have been the same skunk trapped a dozen times. Not in my trailer though.

Figure out where they are getting in and plug the holes.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have also heard that by placing rubber snakes under your trailer at 4-5 locations will keep rodents away. You can also get bottles of fox urine at most sporting good stores and squirt the ground around the trailer. If they have invaded the trailer already, moth balls will run them out, but I'm not sure which is worse.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
That is a good thought but! If I have to risk the wife shooting the trailer to kill the (rubber and I would not tell the armed sweetheart that she killed rubber snakes) snakes or make the area a haven for Horney foxes pissing on the piss spots!?! Okay the inside smelling like my grandmothers closet!?! We don't want to kill Alvin and his friends why??
Cliff
Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
We've had 6 around the house, I've caught 5 of them with the Have-a-heart trap. It's a satisfying sound to hear the door drop onto the wood of the deck. I know I have to fire up the car and take something for a ride.

Today I watched #6. I've seen him before, around the swing set in the backyard. He's been nibbling the maple tree 'helicopters' and made the occasional journey to the deck.

I've noticed the trap would be tripped from time to time but nothing on the inside. Sometimes a bird would lay on its side and poke through the cage to get the peanuts, dropping the door and scaring them off. I have caught 3 birds in the trap.

So today Mr. Chipmunk (actually, he's a ground squirrel. There is a difference, to my surprise) comes up on the deck, goes to one side and checks out the peanuts, goes around the back and then to the other side, but not to the open door. Then he jumps up on top of it and bounces up and down until the door drops down. Then he jumps down and walks off the deck into the back yard.

Now what?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Smart rodent either let it live or termination time! I do have yard pets that are smart rodents but if they venture near the stream they will die! Sometimes it is a necessary evil!
Cliff
Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Then he jumps up on top of it and bounces up and down until the door drops down. Then he jumps down and walks off the deck into the back yard.

Now what?
Friend had a squirrel do the dance on the trap, he solved it by getting a dog!

Here's an abreviated version of my AS ownership and landlord to critters.

When I first bought the AS and was fixing plumbing found the plumber had made a 4 inch hole for a 2 inch pipe missed and cut another inch. I repaired it knowing it was an open invitation to animals. (picture with aluminum around pipe hole)

A couple of years ago I found rodent had started making nest on motor, used plastic tubes that control the a/c mixing door, chewed up foam insulation around motor, cleaned out and kept mothballs in a mesh bag by radiator, seemed to solve problem.
Thought I had solved the problem but last week I had water in the oil and researched cause and tied it down to Chevy using plastic and silicon gasket. On taking the engine apart I found acorns stored on the manifold and in the space formed by the the head and manifold, mouse outhouse fluids rusted the head, and if I didn't read google posts on intake manifold gaskets I would have blame it on her

Last year with mothballs around motor problem mouse was buiding nest on the gas tank and decide to floss with the wires to the tank, took out the gas gauge, that one brought rocks from the driveway to sharpen it's teeth. No they didn't fly up there, top of tank is above the frame and sealed from both sides, and differential blocks area from front and rearis blocked by spare tire, and I don't drive fast in driveway to throw rocks.

Last month's mouse in RV came up the electric cord(enough space between cord and closed door, found paper towels shredded in the trunk but it didn't stop there, turns out AS in cutting corners to mount wardrobe closets forgot to seal 1x2 inch hole to trunk. Why didn't I see hole?, it is located under the drawer beneath the cabinet, with a flashlight in the trunk, hole can be seen. Similar hole found on passenger side closet but at the roofline. Mouse didn't like the trunk, so started making a nest under the rear bed behind the drawer(brought in insulation along with paper towels), then deciding to have nest closer to food, constructed one in the the galley in drawer under the stovetop using carpet, paper towels and foam insulation. No food was in the RV, drawers were clean the week before.
I was busy all week, fixing, cleaning and working my way forward trying to predict where the next invasion will be. Took off refrigerator outside access panel and looking at it's design decided the one inch square holes needed to be reduced, 1/4 inch wire mesh should be small enough to keep critters out, maybe even the mud dobber wasps that I removed.
Roof vent already has screening over opening. Checked furnace and it seems secure, small openings and only large one is the exhaust and it only goes to the burn chamber, on second thought maybe a plug wouldn't be a bad idea, putting a note on thermostat to
remind me to take out the plug before use.

Researched mouse deterrents and Peppermint oil came up, bought a pint and will keep cotton balls around interior adding oil whenever it needs replacing. Tested with a couple andsmell is pleasant, better than the fir needle oil I used last year.

Havahart trap would be good for a few but population grows too fast to actually trap faster than they reproduce, it is year round here in Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer pipe hole repair.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	213565   Click image for larger version

Name:	mousenest.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	213566  

Click image for larger version

Name:	closetmousehold.jpg