Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Check your cabinet hinges…

I recently posted about driving on rough roads in the Chicago area causing a wardrobe door to dislodge and damage the European hinges. I received the new hinges from Airstream yesterday and installed them. I’m still in the process of adjusting them and fine tuning them, but that’s another matter.

I decided to check the hinges on my large wardrobe door since I was in “hinge repair mode”. To my surprise, one of the hinges had popped off of the baseplate, and the others had very loose screws attaching the hinge to the hinge baseplate. One screw was missing. Everything is nice and tight now, but I was close to finding the wardrobe door dislodged and the contents spilled out while towing.

I think checking all your cabinet, door, and drawer hinges for tightness should be part of your normal maintenance routine. It will certainly be part of mine now.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I recently posted about driving on rough roads in the Chicago area causing a wardrobe door to dislodge and damage the European hinges. I received the new hinges from Airstream yesterday and installed them. I’m still in the process of adjusting them and fine tuning them, but that’s another matter.

I decided to check the hinges on my large wardrobe door since I was in “hinge repair mode”. To my surprise, one of the hinges had popped off of the baseplate, and the others had very loose screws attaching the hinge to the hinge baseplate. One screw was missing. Everything is nice and tight now, but I was close to finding the wardrobe door dislodged and the contents spilled out while towing.

I think checking all your cabinet, door, and drawer hinges for tightness should be part of your normal maintenance routine. It will certainly be part of mine now.
Can you provide me details of what screws you tightened. My wife had a door come of a hinge when opening the door. I was to sure what screw I need to tighten.
mplunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplunkett View Post
Can you provide me details of what screws you tightened. My wife had a door come of a hinge when opening the door. I was to sure what screw I need to tighten.
While I can't address which particular screws Dennis was referring to, I can say that All screws should be checked regularly. It seems they are all prone to coming loose. And sometime a bigger screw (not necessarily longer) is required.

It seems as though I'm always tightening screws.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I agree that all screws need to be periodically checked.

The screws that I referenced above are the two screws that attach the hinge baseplate to the side of the cabinet, as well as the two screws that attach the hinge to the cabinet door.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 08-16-2022, 04:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
I had the same issue with my cabinet doors falling off twice on my 2021FB23 International. Both times my trailer was at the dealer later for unrelated reasons and the hinges were replaced under warranty.
But the hinges are also available online for a couple of bucks--cheap pot metal like the door deadbolt tongue.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
While I can't address which particular screws Dennis was referring to, I can say that All screws should be checked regularly. It seems they are all prone to coming loose. And sometime a bigger screw (not necessarily longer) is required.

It seems as though I'm always tightening screws.
What we had happen is the hinges separated from each other
mplunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
mplunkett, there is a grey release lever to separate the two hinge parts. They require a firm smack to lock again. It’s possible they weren’t fully engaged and came loose or the release lever got bumped.

Try reassembling them and give it a tug to see if they’re secure.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I keep slightly longer screws on hand along with tooth picks and wood glue. I periodically check for tightness. When the screw starts to feel soft I put a tooth pick in along with glue and put the new slightly longer screw in. I also put a latching lock on the large wardrobe door to match the one that comes on the tall pull out pantry.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #9
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I always check mine after almost every trip. This last trip I had to do the toothpick and glue routine in the wardrobe closet. The screws were still there, but when I just slightly tried to tighten them they all just rotated freely. I think the next one will be one of the overhead cabinets.

I've got a full box of toothpicks and a full bottle of wood glue, so I am ready when it is needed. LOL
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Zip Tie... AFTER tightening screws and hardware

I recently posted about driving on rough roads in the Chicago area causing a wardrobe door to dislodge and damage the European hinges.
The wardrobe door has THREE hinges and better than the TWO hinge smaller doors. You can Zip Tie those easily.

Since the 2006 a tip posted on the Airforums SOLVED the cabinet door hinges from coming loose and dropping the door onto the floor.

There is also small flathead screws to snug up when the hinge on the door and the hinge on the side wall are separated.

If you current wood screws keep coming loose, try Lath Screws found at Lowes. Pick the size that will work. Add the thickness of the door hinge.

Once everything is SNUG... take a Zip Tie, they can be purchased at little cost for a package of them. Costco had hundreds in different color for a low price this year. Most of the hinges you can get TWO. Some only ONE.

Run it around the back and front hinge sections. Use pliers to pull on the end and snug it up. You will not break the Zip Tie. If you do... tighten enough that it is snug. Then with wire clippers cut is just short enough, so there is some you can take the pliers to snug up after a trip... if necessary.

We have had NO hinges come loose since finding this easy FIX on the Forum, and this works. Lath Screws... come in many lengths. Look like Fancy Rivets... as well.

You have to snug up the very small flathead screw in between the two larger parts. I have swapped out hinges in the past with better suited hinges. Have a bunch... like Piano Hinges. I have posted this in the past on the Forum.

If you like original and prefer to avoid Zip Ties... OK with me. You will eventually.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Zip ties are the duct tape of the new generation. I’ve already used them in plenty of places in my Airstream. This sounds like an opportunity to add a few more!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-02-2024, 04:03 PM   #12
Globey

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Wayne , Pennsylvania
I found those real small ones on the vertical cabinet door at Lowes - Metric Oval Philips Machine - M4-.70 (8 of them for $2.00
These are the ones that hold the hinge to the plate mounted on the cabinet.
scottj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Those expensive European hinges were not designed to be used in an RV. They were design for your home kitchen. They cannot withstand the vibrations of RV driving. I got tiered of continues repairs and finally replaced them with piano hinges, and I never had to deal with them since. That was some years ago.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote