Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
Center bath or rear bath Sovereign?

well we have a 74 center bath and 77 rear bath mid twins and the weather is getting nice in the old pueblo so the wife and i are trying to decide which trailer we want to put the funds into. appreciate some input.
desertratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
well we have a 74 center bath and 77 rear bath mid twins and the weather is getting nice in the old pueblo so the wife and i are trying to decide which trailer we want to put the funds into. appreciate some input.
If they are both 31 footers, then the only advantage of the center bath, is that the bathroom is not as far away.

How about "his" and "hers" ?

Obviously, hers comes first. You know the old saying, "when momma's happy, everyones happy" .

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's my 2c worth:
  • If you often have company, the mid-bath means that they won't have to walk past you for those late-night visits to the "loo".
  • I believe that it is generally accepted that the mid-bath units are less susceptible to the rear-end separation problems.
  • I also believe that, perhaps for the reasons above, the mid-bath units hold a higher value, given the same overall condition of the trailer.
However, there is more overall space in the rear-bath model's bathroom.

I also have a question: you have both versions: which (if either) of them has the longest bed space?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
hi thanks for the input. well the rear bedroom 74 was twin beds but as momma and i still like sleeping in same bed i would make into queen sized platform bed with storage under the bed. the mid twin rear bath has about same length but would be twins only. the wife likes big rear bath but than she likes one bed so we are torn.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
well andy thus the post as i want to put the effort into the one we or she decides is the one haha!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
well andy thus the post as i want to put the effort into the one we or she decides is the one haha!
Ah, you got the idea.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Which one has the least amount of floor rot. Most trailers that old have rot problems. I have a rear bedroom model and it leaked at the bumper and rotted out the floor. It is a lot easier to replace the rear floor in the rear bedroom model than the rear bath model. Best way to tell what is going on is to pull up the carpet or flooring in the rear bedroom model or pull the rear skins on the rear bath model. The best way to tell what you are up against is to pull the belly skins and see all the stuff that is hidden under toilets and cabinets etc. The pink fiberglass tends to hold water and rust frames and rot floors. If time and money is no issue to the restoration then flip a coin.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
hi well the 74 did have some rot and i have cut out the 3/4" plywood and in process of putting in new. the 77 has no rot at all. the body ie exterior is better on the 77 one scratch which i think i can repair. the 77 had zip dee on it now gone. i called inland that will be 1800.00 to replace. the 74 has old carefree but both plastic endcaps are shot and i will need new canvas. anyone know where i can get those endcaps would appreciate the info. the 74 has electric brakes and the 77 disc but i have a set of electric brakes guy bought from andy at inland and his trailer was distroyed by hail last yaer so he sold them to me so i can do the conversion. another plus on 77 is it has larger living room area. so weighing all this is quite the task. either way will have to fix both but would do the extra mile on the one i decide to keep.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
..the 74 has old carefree but both plastic endcaps are shot and i will need new canvas. anyone know where i can get those endcaps would appreciate the info.
I picked mine up at Awning End Cap for Carefree Awning 26-2575 [26-2575] - $8.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
looked them up say they are out of stock on endcaps. anyone else have suggestions? thx

Tags
sovereign