Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What did you think of repairs you had done at Jackson Center?
LOUSY! They charged a lot and did not check their work! 1 3.70%
Disappointing! Their work wasn't any better than local shops. 5 18.52%
Okay, but I probably could have done just as well locally. 3 11.11%
GREAT! They did everything as expected and charged less than local shops! 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
Mike,
Who do you use "up here", how about in Phoenix.

I found Oasis in Tucson to be excellent.
We use Eric's R.V. in Sequim up here, "Spud" has taken super care of us. Oasis is a great place, we've been there for minor stuff. We have the oil changed, filters, etc., done at "Paul's Arizona Service" in Glendale (623.934.2963) Mention my name and he'll charge you double.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Rick March was our go-to guy at JC as each issue arose. It was two days of a "dance." The tech did something on the list, I checked it out, I went to Rick, Rick checked it out, the task was fine-tuned or done differently.

One task was to install some cabinets brackets. I supplied the brackets because I wanted a particular kind. Not what JC was used to so after about an hour of trying the tech claimed defeat. Can't be done.

I went back to Rick. Rick got a manager over from the factory. That manager brought a guy with him from the factory. So, there's 4 guys in my trailer figuring this out. Here's how you install them, the factory guys say. So, they do.

My point is, once I insisted that defeat was not certain then people responded and the thing got done. And, very good installation, and I'm very happy with the brackets.

My tech was a nice guy - but, it was clear he was not happy about working on my trailer. So, it was a two day battle.

I'll go back to JC again - when I have the energy to be a "supervisor." By the way, I'm a 50 year old woman who knows nothing about how to do repairs, maintenance, etc. But, I do know when someone is doing sloppy work.

I also had to insist that the area around my trailer be swept of shop "junk" before I would pull it out of the bay. I know we pull it over all kinds of stuff on the roadway every day, but it would be nice to at least get it out of the bay without a flat tire.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Just want to chime in with another positive note for the folks at JC based on my 3 maintenance visits there. They have replaced 3 panels on my 19' (because of a falling tree limb), installed a new air conditioner (same tree limb) and I also had them install the solar system and additional awnings.

All the work was done just fine in my opinion with no issues at all. Its a 450 mile drive from my house to JC, but I feel is well worth it. I like the TerraPort camping area and enjoy just taking a relaxing walk around the town of JC. Perhaps it is because I am comparing JC to the hustle and bustle of the Wash DC area, but for those of you who have not yet been to JC, please note the town has one (1) stop lite. That's it. These two roads cross and there is a stop light there and that pretty much sums it up. As a side note - there is a pizza joint on the corner and if you call them they will deliver to the TerraPort.

Anyway, it is a nice small town, with small town friendliness and appeal. I can't imagine having any issues with the service shop or in them not doing something right, that just wasn't my experience. I think the shop is well worth a visit.

Best regards, Dave W.
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Jc

Interesting reads. I'm heading to the factory this weekend for the first time. 700 mile drive and took the week off. Really looking forward to it. (except that the forecast says rain for the next week) I'm hoping they can finally fix the leaks on my 2003 ccd. I've yet to find any dealers in the northeast that can do the job.

Wish me luck.

happy streaming.

James
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I was just there on Monday. Had some work done. Immensely pleased!

Chris Burch does most of the contacts. You check in with him at 7:00 on the day you're scheduled. He'll instruct you to have all your cords & hoses disconnected & stored; fridge & gas off (there's a sign advising a need to make other accommodations for keeping things cold -- bring an ice chest). Stick around. A tech pulls your Airstream into the bay by about 7:30 and wants to meet with you to go through your questions & plans. He'll give you an estimate of the time and then you're free.

Factory tours are every day at 2:00 and well worth it. There's a Neil Armstrong exhibit in his hometown of Wapakoneta just north of J.C. Can't get enough of There's the Air Force Museum near Dayton an hour south.

There's not a lot of passing keys around. I turned over my Safari unlocked and they asked me to be there at the end of the day (before the 4:00PM closing time). Be flexible.

Funny thing -- or seriously. I learned the most about the Service Center right here at AIR. And glad I went that direction.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Indianapolis , Indiana
I read this thread and take it for it's word. The Ugly Truth.... ugh
kfrere and redeagle313's posts above are very disturbing to me.
The reason you'd go through the trouble of taking your trailer to JC, is to avoid that kind of drama and resignation. I'm taking mine there to get some electrical things gone through. I'm not looking forward to it.
Homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Airstream Service is based on Customer Service. We don't always hit home runs. If we have made a mistake gives us the chance to correct the problem. Some times the first place to share concerns are here on the forums before Chris and Rick have been notified about a problem.
We can take the heat for making mistakes and will do what it takes to learn from them. Don't write us off before you have been here.

Thank you
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a very positive experience with AS Customer Service in March, which we posted about here. They needed to get on the ball and deal with something, which they did while we were getting a repair done in Tennessee. By the time the vehicle was repaired, AS had done their part and we were back on the road. Can't ask for anything better than that.

We would suggest giving them the benefit of the doubt, until and unless you personally have a problem which speaks to the contrary.

Doug & Maggie
Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
We've been to the service center twice. In each case our experience was disappointing. They generally seemed uninterested in working on our rig. (1984 motorhome). The told me they couldn't repair the levelers with the notation "no parts". We I contacted HWH they said they have parts for everything they have ever made. When I tackled the levelers I had no trouble getting parts.

They say they do chassis work but I had to insist that they order parts to repair the dash air.

I asked them to install street-side widow awnings. They were totally uninterested.

On items made by Airstream they were fine except when they said parts were NLA. In these cases they didn't offer any alternatives or work-arounds. I have been to other RV MFG Service Centers. They seemed to work very hard at making owners of vintage products feel welcome and valued.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #30

2005 25' Safari
Cookeville , Tennessee
This thread certainly gives one cause for pause. I can't comment on service at JC but the build quality of my 2005 Safari SE is certainly not in keeping with the price I paid for the RV. I bought mine used(1.5 years old at the time) and contemplated taking it up to JC for some service work since the A/S dealer went out of business here in Cookeville but instead decided to do the work myself. I've recrimped the fittings under the sink that leaked, replaced the shower valve, resealed the skylight, resealed the vent fans and fixed the stripped holes holding the vent fan trim pieces and am working on the panel in the rear of the trailer where the sheetmetal has puilled off of the rivets because the rivets were installed too close to the edge of the panel. In addition, when I called AS service they advised that the piping under the sink is 3/8" tubing when in actual fact the size is 1/2". This makes a difference because sourcing fittings isn't just a stroll to the local Lowes. I have yet to figure out how to repair the sender in the fresh water tank to properly show the water level as at the present when as little as 4 gallons are depleted, the indicator shows that tank level in the red.

There is rust and corrosion all over the vehicle where galvanized parts and fasteners were used and paint misapplied that will force me to do paint repairs and rust removal. When I asked for the paint code I was told I would have to buy paint from AS. BS, there is no way I'll source paint from AS, I'll get it mixed locally and make the repairs myself. There are English fasterners all over the vehicle but the marker lights used galvanized metric fasteners that rusted and looked horrid, so these got replaced. The tail light housings are corroded (yes, Aluminum does corrode) in spots which will necessitate removal, abrasive sanding and brush finishing with clear coat reapplied to restore their orginal finish. Every fastener exposed to the elements should be CRES so there is no chance of corrosion. Rust stains are a pain to deal with and galvanized, zinc coated or other cheap fasteners aren't in keeping with the quality of this trailer.

All in all, the RV is great to pull but I've seen a lot of JayFeathers and Dutchman's the same age and older than my AS that have needed none of the maintenance that my AS needs right now and those trailers cost a fraction of what an AS does.

After reading this thread, it seems to me that I will be better equipped to handle the repairs than the factory will and that is a major dissappointment to me.

TM
TMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My experience with JC was terrific. They fixed a leak that others had tried to correct twice before. When I asked about changing a non-powered vent to a MaxxAir I was advised to get one and bring it with me and they'd install it (as they don't carry them). That was fine with me- I probably got a better price on it that way. The installation was just fine, as were the other items they took care of. Communication was very good they whole time. Throw in free camping at the Terraport and a chance to talk to other owners and several company personnel as a bonus.

Our only regret was that Sam couldn't make the trip with me. So we'll stop by on a trip this fall so she can see the place and take the tour.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #32
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We had an excellent experience at JC.

Apparently, quality control for model year 2008 was not in Airstream's vocabulary.

We had a 6 page list that we discussed with the service writer prior to going there. He paid attention to what I had to say and made notes on all of the items. Keep in mind, that the work was done under warranty so we paid nothing for the repairs.

We dropped off the AS on the return of a camping trip not too far from JC, left it for about a week while they did the repairs and returned to pick it up. When we arrived, the Service writer had our list, went through the trailer with us, looking at each item, asked questions if he wasn't clear on what was needed and took a considerable amount of time with us. Additionally, he introduced us to the two technicians who they had assigned to do the work who also reviewed the items with us.

They called when it was finished and I drove back to pick it up. One of the technicians went through the AS with us and over each item. Only after we told them we were satisfied with the work, did they ask us to sign off on it.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
... I have yet to figure out how to repair the sender in the fresh water tank to properly show the water level as at the present when as little as 4 gallons are depleted, the indicator shows that tank level in the red...
typically this is just a calibration issue.

calibration of the micropulse sensor/tank is covered in a small booklet that part of the owners packet...

the calibration guide is also online at the vendors website.

many threads here on doing this here too and the tricks to getting it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
,,,paint misapplied that will force me to do paint repairs and rust removal. When I asked for the paint code I was told I would have to buy paint from AS. BS, there is no way I'll source paint from AS, I'll get it mixed locally and make the repairs myself...
paint misapplied?

i've never seen that in an oem stream, maybe the previous owner or dealer/service folks are responsible for this.

what exactly is MISapplied and where?

IF this is an assembly line issue, it's really NOT the fault of the SERVICE center (these are 2 separate facilities)

the tongue/belly wrap paint is extremely durable in my experience and the rattle cans a/s sells are exceptionally good paint.

but folks 'personalize' streams everyday, so go for locally mixed custom paint and have fun!

the poll CHOICES are silly. the wording makes them all of limited use.

folks who haven't BEEN to the service center should NOT form an option from what others experience.

while i've had B- service once or twice, i've also had A and A+ service many other times.

hourly labor charges are NOT lower at the service center, how/why could they be?

some things they do MUCH more efficiently than other shops simply from experience and in those cases the cost may be less.

the free camping and full hookups, coffee and COOKIES do offset SOME of the travel costs.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
TM, don't confuse the factory and the service center. It's almost like they are 2 different companies. The factory does some sloppy work, doesn't change and improve with the times easily and seems to be isolated from contemporary reality. Top management seems to condone and protect this attitude and overcharges for the product.

The service center does far better work than the factory. The mechanics know about the factory problems but are apparently either neither consulted nor listened to. Management claims there is an interchange of info between departments, so maybe the factory just doesn't listen. Our two trips to the service center were positive, though I'm sure they screw up sometimes as we all do. The service center fixed some things at no charge even though they weren't warranty items.

There's also wifi while you wait and hot chocolate, but I never saw any cookies there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
cookies

The cookies are there! They even had some no sugar added cookies for us diabetic types. They are all yummy. And the free hot chocolate and lots of coffee are a plus too!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
I purchased a used 2004 Classic 30 footer in 2007. The people from whom I purchased it didn't use it very much because the husband became ill. I paid " a good penny" for it thinking I would be buying the "cadillac" of trailers. I found a number of quality control issues with the trailer and we took it to JC. I have to say I was pleased with their work and they actually fixed some of the warranty issue without charging me. I found Chris Burch and his crew to be professional and pleasant to deal with. I was disappointed in the fact that the quality of the Airstream trailer is not quite what I expected. For instance the front skylight was not properly installed and the skylight company refused to replace it. Now
I just noticed that the one in the back of the trailer is also not properly installed and I have to replace it at my expense.
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #37

2005 25' Safari
Cookeville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
typically this is just a calibration issue.

calibration of the micropulse sensor/tank is covered in a small booklet that part of the owners packet...

the calibration guide is also online at the vendors website.

many threads here on doing this here too and the tricks to getting it right.

paint misapplied?

i've never seen that in an oem stream, maybe the previous owner or dealer/service folks are responsible for this.

what exactly is MISapplied and where?

IF this is an assembly line issue, it's really NOT the fault of the SERVICE center (these are 2 separate facilities)

the tongue/belly wrap paint is extremely durable in my experience and the rattle cans a/s sells are exceptionally good paint.

but folks 'personalize' streams everyday, so go for locally mixed custom paint and have fun!

the poll CHOICES are silly. the wording makes them all of limited use.

folks who haven't BEEN to the service center should NOT form an option from what others experience.

while i've had B- service once or twice, i've also had A and A+ service many other times.

hourly labor charges are NOT lower at the service center, how/why could they be?

some things they do MUCH more efficiently than other shops simply from experience and in those cases the cost may be less.

the free camping and full hookups, coffee and COOKIES do offset SOME of the travel costs.

cheers
2air'
Good advice which I will use regarding the water level issue. Thanks for that BTW.

I haven't had the time to tackle that one but it is on my list. As far as paint misapplied, what I mean by that is there is way too much surface rust on the frame of this RV and if the surfaces had been properly prepped and the paint applied correctly I wouldn't be seeing the surface rust that I'm currently seeing.

When I fix the tail light housings I'll post before and after pics to show what I had to do to fix those.

TM
TMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disappointed, jackson center, repair