Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
gly

1973 21' Globetrotter
Raytown , Missouri
1" Plywood

I have a 1973 21' Land Yacht and I need to replace the 1" thick plywood that the water tank rest on. Any suggestions on where I can buy 1" thick plywood or is there substitute I could use?
gly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
These people carry it, in hardwood only: Hood Distribution - Leading lumber distributor of hardwood lumber, hardwood plywood, certified and engineered wood products.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I know here in Knoxville there are a couple of plywood wholesalers that carry 1" plywood for specality purposes. What I saw when we toured them was for the boatbuilding and safety cabinet industries. Awful expensive, since it has good plies all the way through. Maybe there is a decking grade that would be more affordable? I think maybe a local lumber dealer could order it for you. My idea of a substitute would be 3/4' plywood and some spacers or glue and screw two half inch sheathing sheets together, or glue and screw a sheet of 1/4 inch sheathing to a sheet of 3/4.

I have seen 1" baltic birch at a local woodworking shop, but it comes in 5' square sheets.

I would be very worried about the glue in a hardwood plywood or in imported panels. One good thing about the southern pine sheathing is they use a glue that is very, very waterproof, even in the interior rated panels.

I expect if you look into the boat building suppliers you will find some wonderfully waterpoof 1" plywood.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote