Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
North Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Need Hub & Drum for '98 Cutter

Need hub & drum for tag axle on 1998 34' Cutter, Chevy P30. Airstream Parts Manual listing identifies it as

Chasis Tag Axle
7400094H tag axle, 72.95"
3160705 Hub and drum, 10 x 7.25 bolt pattern

Airstream advises the part is no longer manufactured and could not be a any assit in locating one. I only need the 10 lug hub. I have the rest of the parts.

Marlind
Marlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlind View Post
Need hub & drum for tag axle on 1998 34' Cutter, Chevy P30. Airstream Parts Manual listing identifies it as

Chasis Tag Axle
7400094H tag axle, 72.95"
3160705 Hub and drum, 10 x 7.25 bolt pattern

Airstream advises the part is no longer manufactured and could not be a any assit in locating one. I only need the 10 lug hub. I have the rest of the parts.

Marlind
Marlind.

Sad, but true, GKN, has done something with the drum mold. They either threw it away, or have hid it.

Bottom line, is that none can be made, unless someone invests a ton of money making a new mold.

We, just today, received a complete used tag axle for a P-30 chassis, but it's rated at 3000 pounds. The worst part of it, is that it can only be sold as a complete unit, and not used for just parts.

A tough decision, but for the time being, no one wants to make the drums.

We have spent hours on the phone, trying to find a manufacturing source, but "no luck".

That drum, might be available in 8 lug, but the outer bearing must be rated at 8000 pounds.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
North Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Marlind.

Sad, but true, GKN, has done something with the drum mold. They either threw it away, or have hid it.

Bottom line, is that none can be made, unless someone invests a ton of money making a new mold.

We, just today, received a complete used tag axle for a P-30 chassis, but it's rated at 3000 pounds. The worst part of it, is that it can only be sold as a complete unit, and not used for just parts.

A tough decision, but for the time being, no one wants to make the drums.

We have spent hours on the phone, trying to find a manufacturing source, but "no luck".

That drum, might be available in 8 lug, but the outer bearing must be rated at 8000 pounds.

Andy
Thanks for the early response. If new is definitely not going to be available, what are the chances of finding used one? How many years was that model produced? I've called emailed nearly every salvage yard I can locate and am having little or no luck.

You mention going to an 8 lug hub. WOuld not that mean replaceing the hubs on both sides?

As you can tell I am a novice at this (smile)!!

Marlind
Marlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlind View Post
Thanks for the early response. If new is definitely not going to be available, what are the chances of finding used one? How many years was that model produced? I've called emailed nearly every salvage yard I can locate and am having little or no luck.

You mention going to an 8 lug hub. WOuld not that mean replaceing the hubs on both sides?

As you can tell I am a novice at this (smile)!!

Marlind
It will probably be a long long time, before any new drums will be available.

In the meantime, a reconditioned drum, will be very expensive.

We are running into walls at every turn, trying to find a substitute.

So far, no luck except with a complete used tag axle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #5

1999 34' Cutter Bus w/slide
Abq , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
It will probably be a long long time, before any new drums will be available.

In the meantime, a reconditioned drum, will be very expensive.

We are running into walls at every turn, trying to find a substitute.

So far, no luck except with a complete used tag axle.

Andy
I have an 1999 airstream cutter and the rear tag axle just shot grease everywhere and I’m not sure what to do. Have you come across anything to replace parts or the entire hub????help ASAP
BigDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
I have an 1999 airstream cutter and the rear tag axle just shot grease everywhere and I’m not sure what to do. Have you come across anything to replace parts or the entire hub????help ASAP
I don't have your answer. However ....

You have replied to a thread that is over nine years old. It is doubtful you will get a reply because your posting to a 9 year old thread doesn't generate the same visibility as a current thread. In addition you have quoted a member that has recently passed away.

I would suggest starting a new thread by clicking the box near the upper left in this forum that says "New Thread". You are far more likely to get what you seek from a thread that you create about your situation.

Good luck.

Action