Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Gainesville , Georgia
Dexter self adjusting brakes

Just had new axels put on my ‘96 Excella and was alarmed today to read a post on FB airstream addicts where a guy has experienced two broken brakes on these axels. Has anyone had or heard about this issue with Dexter axels?
jucsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I've had the self-adjusting Dexter brakes on my trailer for 4 years now...no problems. They're better than the ones that manually adjust.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Gainesville , Georgia
Well got this explanation, “Called Dexter and they are self adjusting. They also told me they had a problem with springs breaking, so if you have a square axle trailer made before 2108 your brakes may do the same.” guess we have been warned.
jucsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Yes, we have had one brake spring on the self adjuster brake, and have found out numerous others have as well. So far all seem to be the right rear brake on 2017 Classics with a square axle. I now carry a spare brake plate with all brake parts installed on it one for each side.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you are getting your information from Facebook, I would suggest ignoring 90% of what you read there, and take the other 10% under heavy advisement.
I've seen exactly two Dexter self-adjusting brake assemblies have problems in the last several years. Hardly an epidemic.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If you are getting your information from Facebook, I would suggest ignoring 90% of what you read there, and take the other 10% under heavy advisement.
I've seen exactly two Dexter self-adjusting brake assemblies have problems in the last several years. Hardly an epidemic.

Not from FB, but from Airstream owners - specifically 2017 Classics and it's so far always the right rear wheel. As of this morning I personally know of four including our own. Spring on the adjuster appears to fail, snapping the adjuster under pressure and some of the other parts simply "blow" apart. I have pictures of two, mine and one other owners and they look virtually identical. Now there is another as of today. May not be a "epidemic" but it is significantly more than the two mentioned over the past several years. My guess is an axle issue OR Dexter found a new spring supplier or the existing supplier changed the specifications of the spring or the small metal piece that activates the adjuster wheel and one of these is failing. EDITED Just received an email - Now five known Dexter brake failures on 2017 Classics - right rear wheel.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
I've had the self-adjusting Dexter brakes on my trailer for 4 years now...no problems. They're better than the ones that manually adjust.
[QUOTE=overlander63;2144344]If you are getting your information from Facebook, I would suggest ignoring 90% of what you read there, and take the other 10% under heavy advisement.
I've seen exactly two Dexter self-adjusting brake assemblies have problems in the last several years. Hardly an epidemic.[/QUOTE.
Yep...one rumor... rite rear...why not left front?.....48 years towing our travel trailers.....no bearing or brake problems.....Sunday leaving Montana and going to Nova Scotia....with no spare brake backing plates or bearings....no worries...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
[QUOTE=tjdonahoe;2144472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I've seen exactly two Dexter self-adjusting brake assemblies have problems in the last several years. Hardly an epidemic.[/QUOTE.
Yep...one rumor... rite rear...why not left front?.....48 years towing our travel trailers.....no bearing or brake problems.....Sunday leaving Montana and going to Nova Scotia....with no spare brake backing plates or bearings....no worries...

45 years of towing and never an issue until now. Two neverlube seals blown and now right rear brake failure. Now up to five other 2017 30' Classic right rear failures. My question exactly to Dexter, why just this wheel - the response "don't know". My suspicion was peaked when there was never a question on replacement, no proof required, no pictures or return of parts. Simply sent out a two new backing plates for the right side with brake parts and one brake drum, when only the rear right had failed.

I ordered spares, no big deal. $124.00, total. One hour job on my own.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
3 brand new Dexter axles. Magnet wires trapped and cut.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote