Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Brake adjustment not automatic????

Having installed Brenda's Christmas present--Prodigy and in reading the directions, I noticed that brake adjustment should be performed after 200 miles and then every 3000 miles. I have gone 7000 and they still work BUT

Do I really have to jack up each wheel and do the Dexter directions? Using search I saw that this was sort of covered except for the fact someone with an 88 had to "lever the star-wheel" the opposite direction.

I certainly hope you guys tell me that all I have to do is back up once in a while with the brakes on

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
PS--the Voyager is not selling well like not at all on Hitch Trader. Any of you want it? I'll mail it to you, snail mail, of course at no charge to you. I hate to trash it. It is only 14 months old and has the Ford plug in cube.

Kistler
Old 01-07-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Yep,

Unfortunately you will have to manually adjust the brakes. No automatic adjusters that I know of. (Unless their discs). Maybe that can be the new million dollar idea-Auto adjusters like used on cars!

Fortunately, its a simple job(even easier if you have two people). You should be able to adjust all four satifactorily in about 30 min max.

I usually do mine once a year while I'm inspecting the bearings and performing general maintenance.

Just installed new axles on my '73 31' and forgot to adjust them before I put them on. Its on the list for this weekend. Got to have the trailer put back together and ready to go by Apr 1 for my Watoga, WV trip(native brook trout fishing)

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks Tripp, I was afraid that was the case....there is only one who does these things here--me.

Want a Voyager?

Kistler