Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
1960 Trade Wind

Greetings All-

OK, we have a new for us 1960 Trade Wind single axle and need to change out the hyro brakes for electric. I know there is a very simple answer to this so I'm waiting!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Woohoo! I have no answer, simple or otherwise, but welcome to the Early Tradewind club! I'm sure someone has an answer though. Congratulations, and when will we see pictures?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
You will have to replace the brake assemblies, completely. This means backing plates with electric brake components, and hub/drums as well. You will need new bearings and seals.
It might be easier and safer to simply replace the entire axle, and buy a new one that has the electric brakes already. Then you have new and strong running gear. You need 12inx2in brakes, with 6-lug wheel stud pattern.
An axle like that from Dexter would cost approximately $ 300.00 to $ 400.00, depending on shipping costs. Buying the individual parts and doing the labor will likely cost you just about the same, maybe slightly less.
You must run wiring for the electric brakes, pease do take that into account as well.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Woohoo! I have no answer, simple or otherwise, but welcome to the Early Tradewind club! I'm sure someone has an answer though. Congratulations, and when will we see pictures?
Well, you have all seen the photos and have heard all the stories, we bought Robs trailer! It seems he thinks he is running out of AS room. Hopefully he will get home tomorrow safe and sound from WV and we can run up and pick it up. Since Sandi and I are getting married at the Wedding Rally my best man, Jody my brother will need an AS to attend! So this will be perfect for him!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Well, you have all seen the photos and have heard all the stories, we bought Robs trailer! It seems he thinks he is running out of AS room. Hopefully he will get home tomorrow safe and sound from WV and we can run up and pick it up. Since Sandi and I are getting married at the Wedding Rally my best man, Jody my brother will need an AS to attend! So this will be perfect for him!
Rickandsandi,

Since you bought the trailer from Rob, ask him. Seriously, Uwe's answer won't work as this trailer does not have torsion axles, which started in 1961. However, it is easy enough to purchase a new axle and springs, if needed. The new axle should have the same drop as the existing one, unless you want to change the height of the trailer. A usual way to replace the brakes is to buy "fully loaded backing plates" which have new magnets, springs, linings and backing plate. This is cheaper than buying the individual parts. I don't know if the existing drums are compatable with the new electric brakes, if not it will be less of a hassel to purchase a new axle. Talk to Rob or Colin Hyde about your options.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Wedding Rally! There's so much going on at this forum and I didn't even realize there was a Wedding Rally planned. Congratulations to you both. Rob's Tradewind is great. Before I purchased mine I looked over their pics several times.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I don't think you need to replace the whole axle assy ,unless its a smaller
3500# axle ,then an upgrade to the 5200# is a wise choice.Our 60 trdwnd
has the 12 "electric brakes and the hadco 5200# axle originally, yours must
have an early 59 axle in it originally .The brake upgrade is straight forward
and easy to do .you should check the cost of the brake drums and backing plates total cost and bearings and such .there are also left and right side
backing plates so watch for correct position of those.you can buy the
dexter axle complete non torsion (not all dexter axles are torsion type)
if your upgrading .The size and drop on the axle and width and all needs to
be provided to dexter ,they are not sold ready to bolt in .The existing drums
are not compatible as you need drums for electric brakes as they have the
armature plate for the magnet as part of the drum ,the early drums had the
armature plate rivited or bolted to the drum ,mine are bolted to the drum.
As for the springs ,you can have them remade by a spring shop exactly as
yours are now .you also can have them rearched ,but new is really better.
i think many don't do alot with the springs and they are fine ,but its up to you .I had new springs built for ours ,now Ive an extra set of used ones
just in case .Don't forget to install some new shocks also ,they are not a
special shock as the torsion style is ,so napa or carquest can match up your old ones.shocks are a must for leaf spring axles .

scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations on your wedding and on being new-to-you TradeWind owners. I really need to keep up with this trailer as I helped Rob locate it. I'll update my TradeWind registry with you as the new owners. Now Rob's only listed once. OK, so which one did you buy? The one with serial number 309 or the one with the cool bunk windows and serial number 547?

I replaced the whole axle for the same reason you're inquiring about. Hydraulic was not something I wanted to deal with. I feel so much better knowing all of the components are new. Had the bearings packed before our trip to Yellowstone in September and the shop said everything looked brand new. Gotta like that!!

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Rickandsandi,

Since you bought the trailer from Rob, ask him. Seriously, Uwe's answer won't work as this trailer does not have torsion axles, which started in 1961. However, it is easy enough to purchase a new axle and springs, if needed. The new axle should have the same drop as the existing one, unless you want to change the height of the trailer. A usual way to replace the brakes is to buy "fully loaded backing plates" which have new magnets, springs, linings and backing plate. This is cheaper than buying the individual parts. I don't know if the existing drums are compatable with the new electric brakes, if not it will be less of a hassel to purchase a new axle. Talk to Rob or Colin Hyde about your options.

Bill
Bill,

Straight axles are also available as complete assemblies, with brakes and all. The hydraulic drums are likely not to have the inner machined vertical surface for the brake magnets, which is why I recommended replacing the entire assembly.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Bill,

Straight axles are also available as complete assemblies, with brakes and all. The hydraulic drums are likely not to have the inner machined vertical surface for the brake magnets, which is why I recommended replacing the entire assembly.
Uwe,

True, true. I replaced the axles on my Liner for a similiar, but different reason. The existing electric brakes were the original 1954 brakes and not size compatible with the new fully loaded backing plates and in order to avoid trying to locate drums and bearings which would fit the old spindles (while in Tampa before towing to Orange, CA), I opted for new axles with brakes. I also decided to replace the springs, which Rickandsandi should consider also. The total cost for two axles (brakes on one axle), springs and hardware was about $500 from Axis Products.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
single axle leaf springs are not available ready made .they are 36" eye to eye
length ,might vary an 1" or so .The tandem springs are standard available as
wkerfoot has said .I do recommend as Ive mentioned to have new ones built.
The peace of mind is worth it .My spring length info is for the tradewind

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags