Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey everyone

I read that those 13" falcon wheels were used on bambi,s.I was mistaken about the 14".I dont believe that those wheels would be any problem on a early bambi especially when they were brand new wheels back then.That trailer isnt very heavy.It doesnt seem likely that there would have been a special trailer wheel in a 4 lug pattern way back then . Now I dont know To say noeverything ,so if someone has more correct info to offer thats fine.To reply to Action , you are right about not using automotive wheels ,full size car or not.As we all know the 15" split rim with the 700-15 truck tire,there was no special trailer tire back then, and they were not car tires obviousely,was the tire and wheel for airstreams and we all dont want those on our airstreams. I would not deny as yet that those falcon 13" wheels were not used on said bambis .It was not a split rim as far as I know . Hey Inland Andy do you remember what wheels were used?

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The way I see it...as of now

Well, The way I see it as of today, after reading all I could on this, Hunters' and VAC...........there have been 2 (two) instances of axel failure on the Caravel. Both of those were on 65's and one of those was a second hand witness report. All the axel changes I see talked about here seem to be the result of actual aged out rubber, self induced desires to upgrade or the reaction to reports of widespread failures in the 60's fleet. If you have the time and money its probably a good idea...........So, after I do the electrical, appliances and polish I will probably do the axel & probably use Dexter or Southwest at that. (Take a look at this if you plan that axel swap for whatever reason.)http://www.southwestwheel.com/sidebar/promo3.htm

Please don't jump my case on this subject....Its just the way I see it now.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey MelodyRanch,

No ones trying to slam you or your decision .I believe ,yes alot of people just change the axles cause they feel better about it. most change them due to the aging an worn out torsion rubber rods ,angle of the swing arm on the axle is in the negative meaning,worn out .I would myself look over my own coach carefully and make my decision .My 60 trdwnd has the original hadco 5200lb axle,new brakes and brand new leaf springs because it needed those items replaced .it does not need a new axle .We as a group here newbies or long time streamers,want to provide whatever help or info we can to help you enjoy your airstream .The only reason .

good luck

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Well, The way I see it as of today, <snip> there have been 2 (two) instances of axel failure on the Caravel. Both of those were on 65's and one of those was a second hand witness report.
The "second hand report" as you stated is not really second hand. I don't own the particular trailer but I know it (and it's owners) almost as well as my own. I witnessed it first hand, and the "second hand" information on RJ's website is FIRST HAND to me, I saw it happen. Just because the owner doesn't have a personal website or blog like RJ, doesn't mean it didn't happen or it's hearsay. The spindle plain & simple sheared off due to either a flaw in the metal or fatigue on the light weight spindle. '65 Caravel Coincidence? Maybe, but if I had a one, I would want to know of the potential problem, however the sharing of that information takes place.

You obviously are going to do with your trailer what you want...good luck with that. Being that your Caravel is a '66 with a different heavier axle, you probably will be fine...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel