Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

wheels and tires for a 65 caravel

OK help. I want to pick up a trailer next week. My first trailer. (shouldn't it be an airstream?) But it needs wheels and tires to make it home safe. Where can I get some quick. ANd what size do I need? Heres some pics...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...vel-22103.html
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I'll probably re ridiculed for this, but --- . 15" rims from '70s GM 1/2T 4X4 pickups/Blazers have the same six-hole bolt pattern, but need to have the center (hub) hole bored out just a little to fit the hub of the trailer. These rims are usually available at a wrecking yard and are about as heavy-duty as they come - plenty adequate for a Caravel. Don't be tempted to put wide tires on, however, because you'll not have enough clearance in the wheel well to get them on. From the photos, it looks like you might be in need of a new axel soon. If so, check out the alternatives from Dexter. I've seen two smaller Airstreams equipped with Dexter axels and they work fine. They seem to have more weight and down-angle options, and are less expensive. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
I'll probably re ridiculed for this, but --- . 15" rims from '70s GM 1/2T 4X4 pickups/Blazers have the same six-hole bolt pattern, but need to have the center (hub) hole bored out just a little to fit the hub of the trailer. These rims are usually available at a wrecking yard and are about as heavy-duty as they come - plenty adequate for a Caravel.
Only that this one seems to have 5-lug wheels.....

I question buying so/so wheels from a junk yard for just a little less money than you can buy new and guaranteed wheels from web sources like www.trailertiresandwheels.net You don't know if the junkyard wheels are running true, and if they are a close enough fit.
I' say get some tires put on the existing rims, you can always have them transferred to new rims once you get the Caravel home safely.
Look for a tire place local to where the trailer is now, and carefully tow it there before heading out. You can find tire stores with Yahoo if you know the owners address and zip code. Call ahead and make sure they have your tires in stock once you get there.
The other option is to get in touch with another 65 Caravel owner and get the bolt pattern and offset specs of the wheels, then you can buy new wheels and tires, get them mounted and bring everything along to change out before you leave for home with your new treasure.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I have the pictures for you but can't send here. The JPG file is set too big. How do I reduce the size of the pics so I can post all these Caravel pics?
RC
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
I have the pictures for you but can't send here. The JPG file is set too big. How do I reduce the size of the pics so I can post all these Caravel pics?
RC
You need some sort of photo processing software. The maximum size for the pictures is 1024x1024 ( often it comes out at 1024x768) and 300k
Tha actually makes a nice size picture.
Once you open the picture in photoshop, you have to go in the Image menu,
then choose image size, and reduce to the specs above.
Strangely, on my mac, I have to reduce to less than 250k, otherwise the finished photo still comes out at over 300k and gets rejected.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
what I did

I called up the friendly folks at redneck trailer supply. for a/b $350 I got two modern style aluminum trailer wheels (look like what comes on new airstream) with 8 ply tires. they came mounted and stems etc. total with shipping was like $350.

first I tried my local airstream dealer and they wanted almost $300 PER WHEEL (no tire or mounting). so I had redneck ship the wheel/tire set straight to my dealer where they put 'em on our 70 safari. all the folks at the service center there were very curious a/b my redneck trailer purchase and how I got them so cheap (they saw the invoice). but I just paid regular price.
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Sorry for the mis-information. I've had a '65 & '66 Caravel here recently. Both had 6-hole wheels. One had the original split rims. Must have been optional. If you have 5-hole, then new rims would be best since they are not that expensive. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkutz
OK help. I want to pick up a trailer next week. My first trailer. (shouldn't it be an airstream?) But it needs wheels and tires to make it home safe. Where can I get some quick. ANd what size do I need? Heres some pics...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...vel-22103.html
Our "new" AS had the original split rims. When we went to pick her up we had called ahead we were able to find that Les Schwab (regional tire store here in the Western US) had wheels (15" 6 lug 5.5" pattern 0" offset) and tires (7.00 x 15 8ply). We too had a very short timeframe, so ordering wouldn't work for us. We got black wheels, like we wanted - no boring out, perfect fit. Worst case, get new tires on the old rims to get you home. Then order the rims you want
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
WHAT I HAVE - Just for INFO

I just bought my 66 Caravel, with original axel (which I will replace). She has 15 inch by 6 inch rims with 4.5 inch bolt pattern. All 3 rims (spare) are different. I believe only one is original, the other two look like truck rims. I bought Goodyear Marathons for her (after reading all the pro and con threads). They were well within the range of the Caravel. I will replace all rims with the axel.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello caravel owners,

I have read that caravels had axle/spindle failures with the 5 lug wheels,meaning that it had a small axle installed.I forget which website for vintage airstreams had the story.It had photos and step by step axle replacement.caravel axles should be first on the list at least if equipped with 5 lug wheels to get the axle replaced.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
I forget which website for vintage airstreams had the story.It had photos and step by step axle replacement.

Scott of scottanlily
Here's the "bad axle" link I think you are thinking of. This is not one of my websites, but the one picture of "someone else's trailer" is.

We were traveling with some good friends when their '65 Caravel's axle broke...we were following closely behind and saw the whole thing happen...pretty bizarre! Thus the pictures...they sent them to RJ to include on his site.

Fortunately, the folks we were traveling with were very lucky, it happened at a very slow speed and nobody was hurt and the trailer wasonly minorly...well, not if it's "your trailer". The biggst problem we had was we were in a very remote canyon, on a bridge, blocking the one lane dirt road in and out of the canyon on a Fourth of July weekend with two trucks & three trailers...but that's a whole 'nother story!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Now for the axel

Can you , or anybody here, send more first hand info on actual axel/spindel failures? I just got into this 66 Caravel and when I checked at two different Airstream Service Centers on them doing the axel change.......BOTH replied that it was B....S...! and, they sell the axels and do the labor. Expect some failures but it is not a major problem as promoted here and VAC. Remember, I am in middle here and only want to get it done right.....I know, I know, anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Giving me CHILLS

Ohhhhhh, this thread is making my skin crawl. I appreciate the info but for my first vacation with the Caravel and with the original (I think) axle has got me worried. After purchase, the drive from IN to home (700 miles) was eventless, and I did a complete recheck of the bearings after I got home. Had a shop check them before the tow, but how to be sure this thing will last. Oh well, after this trip I'm doing the axle in May, along with the rims.......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello evryone,

Im sorry about putting some worry out there. It is just that there have been problems with some caravels axles and its better to get the most info you can now ,rather than later after somthing happens .The info that is on the link InsideOut posted is worth looking at .I really havent heard of any other airstream axle failures involving structural failures of this type.that link talks of 2or3 caravels icluding the one in the link having this trouble.To melody Ranch, This is as first hand as I can provide ,maybe you can track down the author of that link InsideOut posted here on this thread.As far as airstream is concerned ,that reply of B.S. tells me that they have never seen one break.Really ,how many caravels do they work on truthfully?You can talk to inland andy at Inland RV .Has been and is involved in vintage airstreams for 20,25 years or more .You may also find that todays airstream dealers are not as knowledgable about vintage airstreams.So dont take their word for it,look at the link ,speaks for itself .

Good luck,

Scott of scottanlily
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Hello evryone,

Im sorry about putting some worry out there. It is just that there have been problems with some caravels axles and its better to get the most info you can now ,rather than later after somthing happens .The info that is on the link InsideOut posted is worth looking at .I really havent heard of any other airstream axle failures involving structural failures of this type.that link talks of 2or3 caravels icluding the one in the link having this trouble.To melody Ranch, This is as first hand as I can provide ,maybe you can track down the author of that link InsideOut posted here on this thread.As far as airstream is concerned ,that reply of B.S. tells me that they have never seen one break.Really ,how many caravels do they work on truthfully?You can talk to inland andy at Inland RV .Has been and is involved in vintage airstreams for 20,25 years or more .You may also find that todays airstream dealers are not as knowledgable about vintage airstreams.So dont take their word for it,look at the link ,speaks for itself .

Good luck,

Scott of scottanlily
Scott,

The author of that link is RJ Dial the owner of the VintageAirstream.com site and former webmaster for the Vintage Airstream Club. He is very knowledgable on Airstream trailers. He had a spindle break on one of his trailers and a member of our unit had one break in 2002 on the way home from the Santa Maria VAC rally. I don't recall which model they have but it either a Globetrotter or Caravel.

BTW, did you receive the newsletter copy?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
BOTH replied that it was B....S...! Expect some failures but it is not a major problem as promoted here and VAC.
All I know is that of the failures I've heard of, all are on '65 Caravels which have the smaller 10" drums and lighter spindles. The folks we know are VERY good with their trailer maintenance and they didn't see it coming...it just sheared off. It may be BS, but I would question why it hasn't happen with the heavier rated axles used on the larger trailers if it was just a quality control issue...why haven't some of the bigger axles with 12" drums and larger spindles broken too?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey wkerfoot,

I did receive it ,thankyou ,It appears that it is only the small axle with the 10" drums and 5 lug wheels .Agree also its not lack of proper care as is stated by Insideout,The way I read R J Dials article is that the machined spindle sheered off right at the attaching point where the spindle is welded to the square end of the axle ,not the spindle forging itself . he refers to the forging as the failure and talks more about later mild steel spindles and so on.The fact,of the matter is ,the forged steel spindles are extemely strong .Doesnot matter if its a trailer or automobile or truck .no spindle period is made other than by the forging process ,that I know of ,because catastophic failure will happen.The attachment point is another story because the spindle is not one piece with the main axle ,which is not a forged part. It is welded on to the end of the axle .nevertheless these caravel axles do fail .I dont want to drag on about metallurgy and cast steel etc.But that axle as designed is weak in general as we know ,bambis as I recall used a 4 lug wheel from early ford falcons ,so how stout could their axles be? Havent heard of any spindles sheering off.

scott
Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #18
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
But that axle as designed is weak in general as we know ,bambis as I recall used a 4 lug wheel from early ford falcons ,so how stout could their axles be? Havent heard of any spindles sheering off.

scott
There are no automotive applications on any Airstreams built from the 60's on up.

A 14inch wheel from Ford Motor Company (Be it a Falcon to a pre '65 full size Ford or Mercury) was not supplied to Airstream nor is it acceptable for a trailer application. It may fit. And just cause it fits does not mean it's acceptable.

Single axle loads on a Bambi should be far less than the loads for a Caravel.

However there is a point to be made for dual axles. I bet the load on my dual axle Overlander is less per axle than the load on those single axle Caravels.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Hey wkerfoot,
. . . bambis as I recall used a 4 lug wheel from early ford falcons ,so how stout could their axles be? Havent heard of any spindles sheering off.
scott
Those would have been 13 inch wheels, right? Not 14 inch 5 holes.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I stand corrected. Falcon had 13" wheels for most of it's existance. With 4 bolt holes. A Falcon wheel would be a poor replacement for an Airstream.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Tags
caravel