Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
TPMS. Sealed or pass through?

Opinions:
Do you prefer the sealed (valve cap) styled TPMS sensors that need to be removed to add air, or the pass through type that have a Schrader valve built in?

I'm only asking about external sensors.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I prefer the valve cap style (lighter). With my Michelin tires they don't loose much air so the caps rarely need to come off. (I do remove them for the winter.)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
Here is my opinion and disclaimer: This coming from someone who has only owned one RV, and I owned it for a little over a year... but have pulled it over ten thousand miles since June 5th.

I installed the TST 507 TPMS system at the beginning of our trip, a non pass through system. This is the only type I have ever had.

I purchased new GYE tires at the start of the trip. I only added air once about a two months ago, not because there was an issue with the tires but because of altitude and temperature changes along our route.

With that said here is what I think: If you have tires which slowly loose tire pressure and need to be topped up regularly, or if you are the type of person which feels the need to constantly correct your tire pressures due to changes in altitude and or temperature buy the pass through system.

Having the non pass through system for me, has been fine.

(BTW- If you do purchase the TST system get the repeater, I didn't, and I do regret that. I will be buying one before next years trip.)
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
So I contacted TST about the color monitor and got sort of a generic answer. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.
Then I watched the YouTube video of the new monitor because they mention you can drop either the tow vehicle or the trailer.
But you just turn off the tires, you still have the outline of a trailer. (and why are all 4 trailer tires on the front half?)
You can now program four different trailers and the receiver finds them automatically. But you can't make the trailer disappear.

It must just bother me, because no one else mentions this.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
One of the ‘trailer’ boxes shows the tire psi and the other box shows the tire temperature.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
One of the ‘trailer’ boxes shows the tire psi and the other box shows the tire temperature.
The left hand box has mirrors.

Although it's an improvement over the B&W version that has a tractor/two trailers.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Opinions:
Do you prefer the sealed (valve cap) styled TPMS sensors that need to be removed to add air, or the pass through type that have a Schrader valve built in?

I'm only asking about external sensors.
I chose to go with the non-pass through type. When I put the TT to bed for the winter I took them off the valve stem which saves on battery life. I also move them between our TT, our boat trailer, and our equipment flatbed. And when I’m not pulling a trailer I turn off the trailer sensors from the display.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote