Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Spare Tire Mounting question

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this inquiry, but here goes.
I see that there is a spare tire mount available for Airstreams. I gather that it mounts in the front. Does it mount into the "V" formed by the
A-frame ?? In other words below the propane tanks. When I re-did my trailer light cable I installed a junction box on the inner frame rail in the "V" and I don't think a spare would mount there. Directly aft of the propane tanks there is an area under the trailer ( at least on mine) that would work. The frame rails form a rectangular space large enough for the spare. So if it mounts in that location I could manage it. Otherwise I would have to move my cable junction box. Not the end of the world but I'd rather not.

I'm hoping someone out there in AS Land has one and can advise my just how and where they mount. Otherwise, I'll just keep in in the truck.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
There is a formed recess in the front belly pan that the spare fits in...
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
You didn't indicate what model/year. They may be different. I have an '08. The carrier pivots from the 2nd crossmember about 3' behind the front of the trailer body. There is no belly skin in that area so the tire parks in the recess against the floor. The carrier latches near the point where the a-frame meets the frontmost crossmember on the curbside inside the a-frame. When released, the tire can slide forward onto the ground under the a-frame. I find it easiest to put the tire back by sitting on the ground and using my legs to push the tire back up on the carrier, then lift the front of the carrier and latch it with the pin.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
There's a tire holder for sale on our Classifieds. Used, but powder-coated. Looks interesting.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Roger here is what the space for the spare tire carrier looks like. It mounts up under the body of the trailer forward of the first crossmember and aft of the front edge of the shell.
This is the view looking forward. You can see the edge of the shell and the tongue in front of that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare Tire Carrier Forward View.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	129106

This is the view looking rearward from the front of the trailer. The edge you can see is the first crossmember.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare Tire Carrier Looking Rearward.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	129107
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks all. My trailer has had some work done by the previous owner so I was not sure if this area was used for the spare. PO had a new and heavier "A" frame welded in after the batteries had leaked and rotted through and corroded the steel frame. I see the area mentioned but wasn't sure if it was usually covered by the belly pan or not. Thanks, I plan to consider the spare mount.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote