Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
St. Louis , Missouri
Good Durable Tire Inflator?

Greetings!

I am looking for a good, durable tire inflator that can be used for a variety of purposes including:

a) keeping our Safari SS25 tires at pressure (65 psi)
b) flushing water out of the pipes when winterizing
c) pumping the high pressure tires on our tandem recumbent bike (100 psi)

Because the 12V power outlet in the truck is plus or minus 35' from the tires, I would need a combined length of 12V power cord and air hose of at least that much distance. I have begun combing the websites for products and can find NO combination that long. Therefore it looks like I'll have to go with a cordless rechargeable. I did see the Black & Decker AS1500 12V/Cordless Air Station that meets this requirement. I am wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this particular brand/model, or any other brand that meets my requirement and would be durable. Would appreciate the benefit of anyone's wisdom and recommendation! Thank you.

Jim Pona
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Any of the 12V ones that I have ever used tend to be noisy as heck, and weak as, well, weak.

If you really feel you need a 12V one, be sure to actually try it out on your TT before buying.

We just drag along our 120V compressor from home. It's a smaller one, but can pump up anything relatively fast. If you are checking tires very regularly (minimum every morning and evening when we are on the move) you will hopefully catch any problems before they get dramatic...
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I bought a small one a Walmart that works fine on tires, even truck tires to 65 pounds, but the requirement of blowing the water lines will require lots more volume than any of the small 12 VDC compressors that I have seen.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
I've been happy with the Black & Decker Electromate 400. It's inflator keeps the tires at 65 psi (but usually only has to bring them up a couple of psi).

We have a 25 ft Safari Rear Bedroom. When I hook the electromate up the city water input, it blows the water out of the kitchen, bathroom and shower faucets. I only open one faucet at a time. The faucets are all about in line with the water inlet on our trailer.

It also has an inverter so you can run a house fan for a couple of hours too.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
_

. , .
inflator OR compressor?

tank or tankless?

hard wired or not?

12v or 120v ?

pressure rating and duty cycle?

and the most important question, how much $$ do ya wanna spend?

-first lets solve the 35 ft of 12v cord issue...

there are 12 outlets INSIDE the stream, so use them when inflating the trailer tires...

using the trailer outlets means a 10-20 ft COILED 12v extension cord solves the distance issue...

(be aware of the amp/volt requirements and limitations of these extension cords)

Click image for larger version

Name:	coiledextension_12v.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	119349

skip looking for a battery version it will be expensive and have VERY limited utility.

-at 100$ or less there are a couple of directions 4 a portable 12v or a small 120v...

the small tankless 12v inflators WILL air up a tire, but take a lOOOOOng time doin it.

for example going from 55psi to 65 psi might take 10-15 minutes PER tire.

i carried and used one of these for 5 years and it worked ok.

slow, but it would eventually get the tires UP to pressure, and it still works fine.

Name:	portable12v_inflator.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	119346

many versions but this one is adequate at 50$ and i still use it occasionally.

search the brand/name online, i had LOW expectations for this 35$ purchase but it worked fine, still does.
_________

because i wanted something with more UMMMMPH! a small 120v was purchased.

see post #5 here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ion-18687.html

with the small (1 gallon?) tank, it was much faster to inflate and can be used to blow out the lines too...

lots of versions and brands in the 100$ price range, but one does need AC juice (or a genset) to use it...

again still in service at 5 years but as the garage compressor now.
_________

last year i added a 12v HARDWIRED compressor and reservoir tank to the truck...

it's installed UNDER the bed (inside the double wall) on the frame rail

a couple of companies market these but they are available from 100s of truck accessory websites and stores...

VIAIR Corporation - Portable Compressors

these are 200-500$ with pumps rated for 25% up to 100% duty cycles...

the duty cycle is HOW LONG the pump can run continuously...

relative to how HOW LONG it must be rested 2 avoid OVER heating and failure.

this is important when inflating large tires like those on the truck or trailer.
_________

with/out a tank they also make portable versions of the airlift/viair noted above,

that either plug into a 12v round outlet or connect to the battery POSTS...

typically they come in a bag with a long coiled air hose like this...

Name:	portable12v_compressor.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	119347

again many versions and price points and vendors (camping world, and most truck enthusiast stores)

there are versions at harbor freight for less money but durability may be an issue.

mine is 100% duty cycle, does tires quickly and will blow out lines and even work with LOW volume air tools.

the tank is always FULL of compressed air at 170 psi, for a speedy tire or blowing job...

it's probably more than most folks want or need.

many other examples in these threads and the LINKS within...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...tml#post829730

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-30644.html

so again sort of price point and features when choosing, from the many options.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I had a 125 inflator from Black and Decker purchased at Home Depot for about $45. It worked o.k. until I tried to inflate 4 tires on the Airstream to 65 pounds and also those in the tow vehicle to 55 lbs. After 20 minutes of hard use, It stopped working and could not be user serviced.
I purchased its replacement at Ace Hardware for about the same price and like it much better as it has a user replaceable fuse. It is a Cambell Hausfeld 120 volt inflator. It will inflate tires to 80 lbs + (that takes a bit of time) and has plenty of capacity to blow out the water lines.
Both inflators have air pressure gauges. The Black and Decker had an automatic shutoff which is a convenience.
I have one of those 12volt Truck Inflators pictured in 2air's post. It is heavy duty and has a cooling fan. It works o.k. and is durable but is inconvenient to use on the Airstream because of the 12v power.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
air compressor

Proper blowing out of water lines, for winterizing purposes, takes a 5 horsepower compressor to do it correctly.

Smaller compressors will take a long time to get the job, almost done, but not completely done.

The volume of air pumped into the water lines, "MUST" be huge, or else you take the chances.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I use the Masterflow Q-Max from Costco. Fast, high volume, high pressure, and quiet. Has to be hooked up direct to your battery as it draws almost 30 amps. $50 bucks at Costco or can be found on line for $60. Yes, easily blows out water lines. Best bang for your buck, period.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I have a cordless model that I am happy with - it will top off my tires to maintain at 65 psi. I have not winterized, so I can't comment on it's ability to blow out the lines. This model holds a charge for a very respectable amount of time and is easy to store/recharge. It isn't fast, but is adequate.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I use a TRUCKAIR 12 volt compressor, slow but gets the job done. It may no longer be available, haven't checked.
I also made up an extension cord to plug in the trailer plug on the TV and terminated in a lighter plug so it is easier to get at the trailer tires.

None of these will be much good for blowing out lines. We prefer to winterize with pink anti freeze . Blow out may still leave a little water in a low spot or valve
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

My inflator works well to blow out the lines. I let the pressure build to about 20 pounds and then open one faucet at a time letting the pressure build back up each time I turn on a faucet. I have a bypass on my hot water heater as it takes quite a while to put enough air in the tank to pressurize it.
A big compressor is overkill as you don't want the air pressure going above 40 pounds under any circumstance and this happens fast with a big compressor with all the faucets off and the hot water tank bypassed.
Previously, I have drained the holding and water tanks and put rv anti freeze in the grey and black tanks and sink drain taps.
Last, I take the inlet and outlet off the fresh water pump and turn it on for a second to blow the water out of the pump.
This has worked fine for me in multiple below zero winters.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Warn Industries - Air Products: WARN Air-Power SPC
I have this 12-volt Warn Air-Power SPC, which is reasonably priced and strong enough to fill the tires to 65 lbs in short order. After filling eight tires, you'll want to cool it a few minutes before you store it. I really struggled with the 12-volt vs. 110-volt compressor arguments but I'm glad I went with this one since I can use the trailer or truck batteries to fill tires anywhere.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Warn Industries - Air Products: WARN Air-Power SPC
I have this 12-volt Warn Air-Power SPC, which is reasonably priced and strong enough to fill the tires to 65 lbs in short order. After filling eight tires, you'll want to cool it a few minutes before you store it. I really struggled with the 12-volt vs. 110-volt compressor arguments but I'm glad I went with this one since I can use the trailer or truck batteries to fill tires anywhere.
I also have this compressor. I am very pleased with how it works. It is definitely not one of the plastic toy kind that I have been disappointed with in the past.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Tire pressure 34ft

Good Evening,

Hopefully we will be picking up our 34 footer this friday (and a long 1400 mile drive home). Not knowing if the previous owner will have the manual, I would appreciate if one of you could let me know what is the recommended tire pressure. They are GYM. I am used to 65 psi on our Safari.

Thanks,

Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
_

. , .
a/s puts 65 psi in them...

the sidewall sez max inflation pressure is 65 on D rated tires...

i ran 65 psi in those evil gyms for ~half a million miles without issues...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

but there are many threads here where folks suggest basing inflation on the weight/load/inflation tables...

some will suggest running them soft, yadda ya....

inspect them for cracks/side wall defects and funny wear patterns, then BLOW em up to 65 psi...

and while u r at it, just to add another thing to do (or the trailer might BLOW UP)...

torque all the lug nuts to spec (yes there are threads on HOW MUCH torque too....)

and the owners/parts manuals are free/available for download on the a/s company website...

Airstream, Inc :: Trailer Manuals

grab both the owners manual AND parts book, then explore some of the HOW2z...

lots of good stuff there these daze.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
Thanks 2Air. You are the best.
500000 miles. Yikes. I am having new GYM installed before we leave. The old tires are 6 years old with limited mileage but FL sun. If they dont show any visible cracks or bulge- what is your opinion about replacing them,

Thanks again. Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHog View Post
... The old tires are 6 years old with limited mileage but FL sun. If they dont show any visible cracks or bulge- what is your opinion about replacing them...
hi titu

drive the new2u 34 directly to a tire shop and get new rubber.

u might wanna order/check/find the tires in advance

or order online and have them drop shipped to the stream location,

or to a local flo' installer.

but get new tires.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Proper blowing out of water lines, for winterizing purposes, takes a 5 horsepower compressor to do it correctly.

Smaller compressors will take a long time to get the job, almost done, but not completely done.

The volume of air pumped into the water lines, "MUST" be huge, or else you take the chances.

Andy
You forgot to say turn the regulator down to 40-60 psi.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
Thanks Bud. I did talk to the GoodYear store at the trailer location. He sells a lot of GYM and has 22 in stock. I am going to get new tires for the truck also. For the GYM and truck tires (GY Wangler Silent Armor), he is offered me a price that is much less than I can buy them back home. Metal valve, balance and promised me out of the door in 2 hour. The manager said he will have his whole crew working at it to get on the road ASAP. Lets hope for the best. Thanks again. Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
_

. , .
good deal!

and since u r buying 10 tires...

(what about the spares?)

they should AT LEAST throw in a complimentary...

tire inflator/mini 12v tire pump thing...

((the original theme of this thread)

cheers
2air'

Tags
air compressor