Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Differences in weights among wheel positions

In another thread the inaccuracy of the assumption that wheel weights are equal among wheel positions was postulated.

Has anyone weighted individual wheels on their trailer? What did you find?

Mulling it over, I would guess that, with my floorplan, there would be more weight on the road side since the refrigerator and the dinette are on that side. When the dinette lockers and the fridge are loaded with provisions, they would be heavier than the sink, range, and microwave on the curb side of the layout. The holding tanks slope to the roadside, also, and except when completely empty would carry somewhat more weight on this side, and the water heater, when full, would also tend to weigh down the road side.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I think there's going to be some differences between leaf spring/solid axle, versus independent. The importance of a level trailer.

As in that thread it was noted that -- in some instances -- some tandem axle trailers showed one tire of four taking a disproportionate amount of the load, it would behoove us to take the time to separate out the per wheel weights (not just across the trailer averages).

Floorplan is the obvious answer to the question. I think of the "classic" layout as placing the kitchen appliances, furnace and air-conditioner above the wheels, with maybe only the water heater out of the way. A center bath would better that arrangement, slightly, but it would seem to be the placement of the fresh water tank might be the most important consideration (under floor and between and barely ahead of the wheelwells).

Side-to-side, empty to loaded, will be, IMO, more a matter of what is packed as supplies and where. Canned goods/beverages being the killer (after serious toolboxes such as with yours truly. I won't mention my books although they are not at either end).

"Axle set" may be to one side or another, and not just "down" over the years; with any suspension type (past manufacturing mistakes).

So, back to layout: refrigerator across from kitchen counter/furnace/stove would seem to be a good minimum. Cabinetry materials and extent would dictate the rest. Propane and batteries seem almost universally tongue-mounted (or close to it), so that's a wash.

Owner additions would be the big thing. But how heavy are camping supplies carried in the trailer (for travel) that might be used elsewhere on arrival? A Dutch Oven collection and firewood plus bikes carried in the front "lounge" might well introduce a side-to-side imbalance (off the top of my head).

On my old trailer, the rear axle always wound up with more weight than the front (beam type). Didn't matter about FF-RR attitude in hitch height adjustments either. That trailer was flat light on the front (layout), and our additions didn't change things much.

As am now a single full-timer I'm looking forward to some weighings that will include wheel position numbers as I expect my load will not change much, and, hopefully, be of aid in choosing best tires.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote