Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
What were those alignment specs, again?

I know I read the recommended alignment specs for my A/S axle, but I couldn't find them. What are the recomended toe,caster,camber and whatever else they look at? We're talking about a '71 Overlander 27' with new axles installed last year. Tire wear makes me suspect they're a little outta line.
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
alignment

You can check the alignment yourself with a ruler.

The tow in is 1/16 inch, plus or minus 1/16 inch. However, both tires must be the same.

The camber is 3/4 degrees, plus or minus 3/4 degress. Again, both tires should be the same.

Lack of proper running gear balance, can also appear to be an alignment problem. Bad shocks can also cause goofy tire wear.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
Thanks, Andy. Indeed, one axle was just a bit out of align. Good local shop put it right. Thanks for sharing your wealth of information
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can check the alignment yourself with a ruler.

The tow in is 1/16 inch, plus or minus 1/16 inch. However, both tires must be the same.

The camber is 3/4 degrees, plus or minus 3/4 degress. Again, both tires should be the same.

Lack of proper running gear balance, can also appear to be an alignment problem. Bad shocks can also cause goofy tire wear.

Andy
Would it be the same for my '74 Sov 31-footer?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
alignment specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Would it be the same for my '74 Sov 31-footer?
The alignment specs are the same for all Airstreams that used torsion axles and all Argosy trailers.

CAUTION.

Be sure to check the axle mounting plate location, which is the plate welded to the side of the trailer frame.

Check the distance from the center of the jack post, to the lowest forward edge of the axle mounting plate.

It should be the same EXACT dimension on each side of the trailer. It is possible to find them, 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 inch off from each other. Some trailers in the early 70's were built that way, to supposedly compensate for the tilt of the road.

If you find that to be the case, the trailer WILL TOW DOG LEG. That in turn, will cause excessive tire wear.

The fix, is to drill new holes thru the axle mounting bracket and into the axle mounting plate, to correct the side to side dimension. You must first of course, open up the square hole in the axle mounting plate.

I know that my 1970 31 foot Airstream, was 3/8 of an inch off and that made it tow 9 inches dog leg.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote