Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Greenwood , South Carolina
Ok, let me make certain that I understand this. To get 3200# rated axle, you have to spec. the Dexter #10. Even though you can get the 6 lug 5.5 bolt circle on the #10, you order the 5200 lb. spindle (of the #11) with 12" drums to get bigger spindle, larger drums, and larger bearings. The reversed bracket is needed, but you will still need to drill the bracket or frame to get the axle in the proper position. There is not a problem fitting the larger drums to the standard wheels, right?

If this is correct, the larger drums, spindles, and brakes really jack up the price, a lot!

SM
smead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smead42
Ok, let me make certain that I understand this. To get 3200# rated axle, you have to spec. the Dexter #10. Even though you can get the 6 lug 5.5 bolt circle on the #10, you order the 5200 lb. spindle (of the #11) with 12" drums to get bigger spindle, larger drums, and larger bearings. The reversed bracket is needed, but you will still need to drill the bracket or frame to get the axle in the proper position. There is not a problem fitting the larger drums to the standard wheels, right?

If this is correct, the larger drums, spindles, and brakes really jack up the price, a lot!

SM
SM,

I don't think that the larger drums (12") are a problem because your trailer should already have 12" drums (now if you had 14" wheels instead of 15" this would be a problem). What I can gather in these coversations is that Dexter believes that 10" drums are sufficient for a trailer with a 3500# or less axle. Airstream on the other hand has 12" drums on this size of an axle. Airstream specs larger brakes and shocks while Dexter thinks smaller brakes and no shocks works.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
price..

you have to compare compatable prices. Tim's price includes Disk brakes, not the drums. His deal is fantastic.....

Per my dealer....
#10 axles (at 3200#'s) with #11 spindles BARE (no brakes) is around $400
Dexter disks are roughly $300 per wheel ($600 per axle) per the Dexter website and my dealer. I get that some dealer price their axles differently.... read the forums and you'll get a cornicopia of prices. Unfortuenely, there's only one Dexter dealer in the NW. No shocks with these axles.

Henschen prices (bare) are close to the prices I've found.... see above. Shock mounts included, no drilling. Shipping is the one difference...

Your trailer came with 12" drums. No need to replace the wheels.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
FYI, at least in my case, is "right away" meant I still had to wait 3-4 weeks to get them shipped to me.
Terry.

Your axles had to be created, plus your on the east coast.

We have a in house stock of over 40 Henschen axles, that can be shipped immediately.

In your case, the freight cost from the west coast to the east coast, would far exceed that from Ohio.

Generally speaking, our inventory is for the west coast owners, so that the freight is minimized.

But we will ship to the east coast from California, if someone can handle the freight issue.

Try "air freight" from coast to coast for an axle. It's outrageous.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #25
Airstreamin' in Canada

1973 27' Overlander
Waterdown , Ontario
Just as a follow-up, I went with axles from Dexter that were ordered and installed by one of the local trailer shops that I have come to trust. He did away with the shock, and they had to do some welding to get the axles on correctly.

Wow! What a difference in ride and handling. The trailer actually bounces when you jump in it - ok, when my kids do...hehe

Anyways they went up a bit in weight capacity, but it seems to be a good fit. And much less expensive than the direct replacement.
mlang905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang905
Just as a follow-up, I went with axles from Dexter that were ordered and installed by one of the local trailer shops that I have come to trust. He did away with the shock, and they had to do some welding to get the axles on correctly.

Wow! What a difference in ride and handling. The trailer actually bounces when you jump in it - ok, when my kids do...hehe

Anyways they went up a bit in weight capacity, but it seems to be a good fit. And much less expensive than the direct replacement.
Leaving shocks off of an Airstream that was designed to use shocks?

According to Airstream engineers, especially for the older trailers, you "will" be sorry in time. Lack of them will contribute to rear end separation, that brand "X" dealers don't even know about, and for that matter, some Airstream dealers don't either.

Shocks were put there for a purpose. Leaving them off, defeats that purpose.

I am amazed of how many dealers are smarter than the engineers at Airstream.

Probably some of those same dealers don't believe in balancing wheels, or load equalizing hitches, or sway controls, either.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote