Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Smithfield , Virginia
New Axles this weekend for my '73 Safari

I have my brand new GKN/Henschen axles complete with brakes for my 73 Safari and are planning to do the swap this weekend. If anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdoms that would be helpful, I’d like to hear them. I have heard that it makes handling the axle easier if you remove the brake assemblies and than reinstall them after the axle is in place. Any thoughts?
jasmith58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I can't imagine how removing the brakes would help unless there is a weight concern.

My only advice is to be safe! Block up the trailer correctly, then add another jack.

Of course, with two axles this may not be as important.

I sure would like to hear about a good way to insure correct alignment. There has to be a DIY measurement device from ball to hub to check if axles are parallel.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I'm With Dan,the hubs and brakes do not create that much more in weigh.
Pay particular attention (if this is a single axle) to the placement of jacks and jack stands. ABOVE ALL BE SAFE! Asphalt or Concrete drive makes the roll in ,roll out alot easier or an old sheet of plywood to roll the jack on.
Center the jack on the tube remove the bolts and cut the old brake wires. You may have to persuaded (with a small sledge) the axles to drop onto the jack,then just let it down and roll it out. Get someone to help set the old off and the new on the jack and roll it under. Jack it into place (very gently) and reinsert the bolts.
It really easy .
GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE BE SAFE.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
We did the axle swap last year... it is not hard.

Start soaking your old bolts now with Power Blaster or some other penetrating oil.

We did the pull the trailer up on the blocks of wood method. I think we had 4 2 x 10 under each side. If I recall the height was fine. BLOCK THE TRUCK WHEELS TO PREVENT MOVING!

Be prepared to remove the LP line (ours ran under the axles) You will need to remove it forward and aft a bit so you have some room to get the axles in and out.

We used one floor jack but two may have been helpful.

I have snowmobiles and found that the little "carts" for under the ski's to roll the sleds around the garage made great tools for sliding the axles around the driveway and under the trailer.

If I think of any thing else I will post back. Have fun it should only take about 3 hours goofing around. Get some pictures.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Others have given you good answers so far. The axle tubes fit into notches on the trailer frame. Those notches combined with the bolt holes, leaves little chance for bad alignment unless the axle tubes are bent.

I replaced my axles last spring, just bolted them on, no alignment check, and the trailer tracks fine and no unusual tire wear.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I second all the above and will add a couple of things. Don't take off the brake drums! They will protect the spindles if you bump the concrete while installing.
Have 2 floor jacks, one for each side. The axles rotate when you pick them up. I built a craddle for the middle of the axles on my Trade Wind, but it didn't work. Have two jacks and a good helper. By jacking up each side at the same time you can rotate the axle into the slot cut in the frame rail. Also you can get both side into prober position, not easy with one jack in the middle. If your tailer has two axles, just drive up on one set at a time. Be aware that you need to get it up pretty high because if you don't, the new axles have more suspension and you won't be able to put the tires back on.
Last, if bolt holes don't line up, mine didn't, you will need an 5/8in drill bit and a big drill. This is dangerous-BE CAREFUL. When the drill bit breaks through the frame rail it will catch (broke my first bit and they are not cheap). It can break your wrist, or worse. Expect it to catch. It is very hard to apply pressure on the drill while on your back under the trailer.
Good luck.
Oh, safety glasses or goggles are a must while under the trailer.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When I replaced the axles on our Excella last year, I got axles only, no brake assemblies, so had to move the assemblies (they had just been replaced by the PO) from the old axles to the new. That took far more time than removing and replacing the axles. For that reason, I used two 10K lb jack stands, placed at the rear of the axle mounting plate, leaving the trailer hooked to my TV and extending the tongue jack for more stability.

Replacing axles with brake assemblies attached many times is done by backing the rear wheels onto blocks, removing the front wheels, replacing the front axle, replacing the wheels and then repeating the process by lifting the new front axle and replacing the rear axle in the same manner. The trailer should be left connected to the TV, and I would extend the tongue jack for a little more support. This way, your trailer is never off the ground. No chance of a mistake or failure with jacks or stands.

Using either method:

1. Be sure that you lift the trailer far enough to allow for the new axle trailing arm angle so that you can get the wheels back on.

2. Install new shocks on the new axles before installing them on the trailer.

3. Three people are a great help if you don't have access to an axle cradle. One to operate the floor jack to lift the axle into place, and one on each side to lift the drums to "level" the axle and help guide it into the slots on the axle mounting plate.

Enjoy your weekend.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I did our Axles in 1-1/2 years ago - the swap went without a 'hitch'...

I'd sure recommend you have the brakes, hubs, and shocks installed before you install em' - lots easier to do that kind of stuff on the 'bench'!

Here's a description of How mine went into place:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f173...way-41888.html

Go to post #18, 19 for the axle swap...

I got some new grade 8 bolts and nuts to install - they're cheap and having new parts is nice when bolting things back together...

Ray
Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
axle change outs

You fellows make that change out sound so easy.

It is, when simple instructiopns are followed.

The alignment comments are correct.

The axles automatically are aligned with the trailer, because of the mounting bolt holes and the square notch locations.

Additionally, the axles themselves are aligned hydraulically, at time of manufacture.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
once the old axle is out it will take less than a half hour. Wiring the brakes may take longer than putting the axle in.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Smithfield , Virginia
Thanks for all the good information! Now if it doesn’t RAIN this weekend I’ll have my AS back on the road!
jasmith58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
When I brought my new axles I was told that the brakes had been adjusted. Well, maybe, but not evenly with each other.

Do yourself a favor and while the wheels are on the new axles and everything is still up in the air, adjust the brakes.

Oh, for balancing the axle on a pair of jacks you can get a 2x4 cut to length to fit under the flanges and just behind the main axle tube. That is roughly the balance point.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Our new axles arrived today (thanks Andy!); the disk brakes, shocks and Centramatics, etc, are already in the garage. It will be a busy weekend at our house as well....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Actually you will be shocked how easy it is...

Fed Ex Freight called today to inform me that my clients pair will be here monday am.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote