Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Scott,

If you look closely - Dexter is $530.00 (according to the quote obtained) + $200 shipping thus $730 + some welding.

Henschen is $800 + shipping thus $1000.00 with no welding.

Basically the Dexter mounting bracket hole is off by a tiny amount so most folks spot weld the holes closed and drill new. Dexter Engineering (like Axis) say's the shocks are not required on a torsion axle but I understand most Airstream owners prefer them - thus additional welding is required, which adds to the welding cost. Is the welding, if you cannot do it yourself worth $270 (transfer 2 shock brackets and spot weld 4 holes closed) - that, you will have to decide.

It is always important to compare apples to apples.

Regards,
Henry
Freight charges vary depending on the distance.

Certainly, a $200.00 charge for shipping from Ohio to Illinois, is a "guess" very well misquoted.

Direct replacement parts are always desired. Sustitiute parts usually create more problems than they solve.

Since most Airstream owners "demand" that their trailer stays original, it will be interesting to see what those trailers will sell for, that were modified with other than original parts.

Sounds almost like a some of the E-bay stuff, that goes sour.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Not always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Direct replacement parts are always desired. Sustitiute parts usually create more problems than they solve.

Andy
Andy,

Not always, try talking Ford into installing Firestone (original) tires on an Explorer.

Additionally, Airstream, as you know, has used the Dexter axle. Are you suggesting the factory would install inferior componets worthy only of eBay??????????

Did you read the entire post - it ended up being $374.00. That's about $625.00 less than the other OEM axle.

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Additionally, Airstream, as you know, has used the Dexter axle.
Henry

NFL.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Since most Airstream owners "demand" that their trailer stays original, it will be interesting to see what those trailers will sell for, that were modified with other than original parts.

Andy
To draw a similarity; I have a K&N intake on my van. It is, by far, better than the original OEM intake. It costs less than buying a brand new OEM intake from GM as well.
The van also came equipped with Uniroyal Tiger Paw Plus P215/75R15 tires. When they wore out, I bought Goodyear Eagle P225/70R15's for it. If I would have bought the OEM-spec tire from the dealership it would have cost me far more to get, what I felt, was something of lesser quality.
I do not think it really matters to the resale as to what axle is underneath the trailer. So long as it is a good axle and is not sagging.
When I sold my 24 footer with new Dexters under it no one asked, "Is it an OEM axle?", when I told them it had new axles under it. That same trailer had a nearly new Norcold fridge too. Not an original replacement.
All that was noticed was that I had taken my time and restored and repaired the trailer with new, quality parts. I sold it a little over two years ago for $6,500 no questions asked.
I do not think it is a matter of whose parts you use, so long as you took the time to repair or replace things that were broken or worn out.
Just imagine how much a tune-up on our cars would cost if the dealerships were the only places we could get spark plugs, distributor caps and plug wires.
I hate to debunk the theory that these trailers with non-OEM parts might sell for less. Mine sold to the first person who had originally looked at it. They realized they would not have to do anything major to it for quite a number of years. Most of it without OEM parts.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Right on!

Lou,

That's why I dig you man!

Nothing like a statement from a man who has "been there, done that". Beats an opinion every time. Nothing like "realworld" experience!

Best Regards,
Henry
Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou,

That's why I dig you man!

Nothing like a statement from a man who has "been there, done that". Beats an opinion every time. Nothing like "realworld" experience!

Best Regards,
Henry
Henry,

You are STILL my hero, man!

Thanks for the kind words.

People have got to realize that there are other sources out there for replacement components for these trailers.
Just like with cars. Sometimes the non-OEM parts are far superior and much less expensive than the original stuff.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Right on!

Lou,

I agree.

I can appreciate both stock and aftermarket items - that's what's cool about America.

We as individuals, have a choice and can purchase what we prefer.

Regards,
Henry

PS: You Da Hero!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou,

I agree.

I can appreciate both stock and aftermarket items - that's what's cool about America.

We as individuals, have a choice and can purchase what we prefer.

Regards,
Henry

PS: You Da Hero!
Each and every time I have bought "non-OEM" replacement parts for my trailer they have met my two unwavering criteria: price must be lower than OEM and quality must be better than OEM. Both of those are met with every "non-Airstream" replacement I have made. My drapes are a perfect example.
This is why stock car racing is not really using a "stock car".
I may be "da hero" but you are "da superhero"!
Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
In the old days ,early nascar if you will ,they ran 63 ford galaxies,55 chevys
hudson hornets ,and mopars ,they were stock cars ,abeit ,had some modifications .Those were the good old days ,you could see what a factory
car was capable off .You know" race on sunday sell on monday " Today
they are just a race car period ,the factory has nothing to do with it.
AHH the day you could buy a boss 302 mustang ,when ford was racing
trans am and they had to build at least 500 production models for the street.
good times at the car companys and for car enthusiests.

Apology on the off topic post .carry on with axle talk .

Scott

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote