Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
CORRECTION ON ABOVE DIMENSION: It is very hard to measure the center to center hole location without a 10" set of calipers (very expensive) so I spent a half hour yesterday measuring the C-C distance three ways yesterday came up with 9.067" C-C on my 76 Sovereign yesterday. The holes are stamped in the mounting plate creating a raised area outboard on both holes and the axle cut out and are oversize a smidge.

First I took my original measurement above post and made a steel gage on my milling machine and then went up for a looksee and lo and behold it was off so I put a bolt in one hole and mounted it and took a steel scribe and marked the min and max hole separation points and this gave me a variation of .106" so I made up a gage with holes in the middle of the range and went back.

Now both axle mounting bolts go into holes with a little movement left and right. Thusly if have a 76 Sovereign the odds of your specing holes 9.067 C-C will allow you to obtain an axle that will exactly fit.

As I understand it you can go to 3700 lb axles without doing any grinding on the mounting plate as the square axle dimension is still that size up to 3700 lbs.

If you go heavier (as I am) to allow for more shock loading capability without bottoming out the square tube gets larger and you will have to grind out the big square to allow the main shaft to fit through which is not a problem.

I made a crude gage initally out of card stock paper and took a 1 lb ball peen hammer and used the round section to locate the holes. When the first axles came in I used this gage to check hole location and it was dead on with what they sent. I double checked the paper gage with the steel one I made up yesterday and the hole spacing was identical. Unfortunately the first axles had the mounting brackets reversed so they went back.

My thinking is if I used the original hole spacings the axles would be square as I really did not want to elongate any mount holes and risk an out of alignment condition.

I will take pics of new axles next to old axles before I change them out to show differences and mounting mods.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
My thinking is if I used the original hole spacings the axles would be square as I really did not want to elongate any mount holes and risk an out of alignment condition.

I will take pics of new axles next to old axles before I change them out to show differences and mounting mods.
In the case of it being necessary to elongate one hole, that will not change the alignment, as the other hole will not allow movement.

That's assuming that the same hole on each side of the trailer is enlarged.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Andy, I agree, if I had to I would locate off forward hole and elongate rearward. Neither hole appears elongated and all 5/8 bolts/nuts were very tight.

One hole is about .035" larger than the other and apparently was punched that way.

I do like the way they are mounted without using top holes on axle. I was also surprised there was very little galvanic corrosion. When the first axle came down I thought it was going to be a disaster but wasn't.I will prep it before raising new axle into place.

I would love to see some detailed pictures by someone who has stripped away the floor and the underbelly to see the full details of the construction in that area.

I also checked thread depth and the wear on the front tires at 5000 miles of road towing is about .010" to .016". I am running 225 75 16 10 Ply light truck tires with 80 lbs in them.

Also I just picked up a IR laser thermometer so I can keep check on the tire temps in the future.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
I decided to bite the bullet and am making arrangements to get a 13" vernier caliper so I can make the C-C hole location measurements with a even higher confidence level. I will measure all four sets of hole locations outside to outside and inside to inside and see if there is variation from hole set to hole set.

Then we have the problem of are the California holes the same as the Jackson Center holes????? This info needs to be added to data base.
Since it is a punched plate maybe one plant stamped them and sent them to the other for uniformity.

Is there a code in the serial number or somewhere that tells where your rig was made?

I now have a template made in an elongated U configuration so I can hold it up to axle mounting bracket and make sure hole location is going to fit my rig before they are loaded on my utility trailer for trip home.

Once I got the 1" strap stock holes located on the money with bolts through mounting holes I cut the previous one in half and added a third piece for the bottom to form the elongated U and welded them in place with the second gage as a welding fixture so the holes in both gages are on the money.

My axles should be at distribution center on Friday and I can go get them and it is now going to be real fun as I just came down with gout pain in my foot. Haven't had an attack in 10 years so this is going to be fun mounting axles and I can barely walk ! ! !
Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #25
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post

Is there a code in the serial number or somewhere that tells where your rig was made?
Hummer,
I hope the gout doesn't slow you down. The trailer's serial number had the code you seek.
J=Jackson Center, OH
S=Santa Fe Springs/Cerritos, CA

Good luck with your axle install.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
So, does anyone know what my hub to hub measurement would be if my mounting brackets measure 61.375" on a 1991? Note: I'll verify all of these measurements again when I have the wheels pulled and before I order the axles.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Ray View Post
#10 torsion axle, down-rated to 2800#
Straight beam (with standard toe and camber bends)
74" Hub-face to Hub-face
58" Outside Frame width
Reverse orientation
Side mount hangars
25 deg. down
Electric brakes
10" hubs (5 lugs on 4 and 1/2 centers)
Roger-Wilco, Houston. The Eagle has landed...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
2 different hub face dimensions for 61.375" .....80" for the #10 axles and 80.75 for the #11.

Greg
Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Oh and if you go with the Dexter # 11 your minimum weight rating is 3800#, not a bad thing with the triple axle setup.
Greg
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
So, does anyone know what my hub to hub measurement would be if my mounting brackets measure 61.375" on a 1991? Note: I'll verify all of these measurements again when I have the wheels pulled and before I order the axles.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve.

I would suggest that you increase the axle rating to 4000 pounds, as that's what they are on later 34's.

The hub face to hub face is 80.75"

You can also now get them with self adjusting electric brakes, or if you wish, you could upgrade to disc brakes.

The basic difference is the cost of the actuator.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Greg and Andy,
Thank you both very much!!!

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
OK I have a L S Starrett 12" Vernier Caliper inbound. If I am lucky it will be here Saturday via Priority Mail.

I have a form made out I will publish on my gmail account with a link for all to reference and a blank form others are welcome to use when measuring their units to order axles.

I will measure all four hole locations C-C, I-I and O-O and figure a average.( I already know the hole sizes are different on the first set of holes).

I will also measure all hole sizes so we will have a range of hole sizes known for reference purposes at least for a 76 Sovereign 31'.

The place I am getting mine from will custom drill holes on locations you spec.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You don't need calipers to measure the distance CC on the holes. If the holes are round and the same size, just measure from edge to edge. Measure from the left edge of one hole to the left edge of the other hole for example.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
My holes vary in size by like .035" ! ! ! ! if I remember correctly. As well the inside of the holes being stamped are shall we say chamfered. Personally I would prefer a rather precise reading as I have machine operations background and own my own lathe and mill and a caliper to me is the way to go as I know it will give much more precise measurement for the actual hole locations C-C.

Assuming the hole locations are identical on all the 31 Sovereigns then those of us that have them will know what to order for a more precise fit.
My data that I publish will need to be confirmed by several others of course.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
I haven't forgotten the measurements. It is just this Gout has got me crippled now but getting better slowly. I cannot wear left shoe at all.

I did get in my Starrett Vernier and though it is old it is as if hardly ever used and checks out good. Soon as I can walk half way I will measure the sets of mounting holes.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
So much for the database.

1996 Excella 28' GVWR: 8200 (as it sits: 7100 on the axles)

This is my order:
Axle: #11 Torflex
Quantity: 2
Capacity: 4,500 lbs. (originals were Dexter 4,000lb axles)
Hub Face: 86.0"
Bracket outside: 67.0"
Bracket orientation: Reverse
Bracket profile: High mount
Start Angle: 32 deg down.
Lubrication: Nev-R-Lube
Bolt Pattern: 6 on 5.5" (655)
Stud size: 1/2" - 20
Brakes: 12" electric, auto adjusting
Custom: Torsion Arm welded shock mount

Notes:
"Before" Ride height: 25" Ground to Center of wheel arch.
Tires: 225/75-15 Goodyear Marathon Radial ST load range D
Wheels: 2013 Aluminum OEM max 2850lbs. ea. (I didn't write this down, but I remember it was 2,8xx lbs.)
$599 each from my local trailer parts retailer.

-Kevin
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
This is axle data plate as installed on 76 Sovereign

Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
This is template I fabricated that aligned the AS frame holes with the axle shaft so I knew exactly where to relieve the mounting plate to install the axle.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kevin:

You're so close on the dimensions that I don't think it'd make a difference, but the factory specs are 86.43" hub face and 67.125" outside bracket dimension.

Greg
Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@AirLA View Post
Kevin:

You're so close on the dimensions that I don't think it'd make a difference, but the factory specs are 86.43" hub face and 67.125" outside bracket dimension.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I got a PM that 2 of my measurements were off, but no indication of which two. It really did scare me because if it's done wrong, it's on me. Well, the Six Robblees Distributor has a 50% restocking fee. Which I think is generous knowing that if it's done wrong, it's pretty much scrap metal.

It's also pretty difficult to make the measurements by yourself with them on the trailer. I would take one off to measure it, but I have to cut one of the bolts to get it off. The spindle arm doesn't move out of the way.

You're right, the Hub face probably won't make a difference, and 1/16th on each side of the mounting plate won't be a deal killer. I'm just surprised that I was off by that much.

I haven't made the order yet, but I will this week. I might do my measurement with a neighbor since the wife is not really excited about being my helper.

-Kevin