Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Repair or Replace NT 24

Have a NT 24 furnace that the gas line was disconnected and capped from PO don't know why. Is it better to try and find out what is wrong with it or just replace it. I pulled it out and I do know it is packed full of dirt dobber nest and wasp nest.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It's very easy to spend someone else's money, but...

Once you've gone to the trouble to remove it and you found all the junk in it, you should consider whether or not you want to do that again soon. If it's VERY easy to remove and replace in your trailer, you might take the risk to see whether it works or not, but there might still be a different problem that caused the PO to disconnect it, and the insect nests came later.

It's a 33-year-old propane appliance. Upgrading to a new one with a lower current draw on the fan motor and hopefully a few decades of trouble-free operation might be worth the money. I'd say it gets you a warranty, but IIRC Suburban will only give you a warranty if an authorized service center installs it. I have *NOT* looked that warranty detail up today so I may be wrong, but that's what I remember from buying an NT30 a year or two ago.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
If this was your home... would you rebuild/refurbish a 33 year old appliance or upgrade to a new modern technology appliance?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A 33 year old furnace………….is there really any question about what to do??????

DUMP IT NOW!

Any RV furnace of that age has the distinct possibility of creating a hazardous and potentially lethal environment. There are better, safer ways to exercise your LP detector! ….unless you harbor suicidal tendencies

Get yourself a new furnace with modern technology and a warranty. You won't regret it!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Trash it! The heat exchanger is probably shot and could leak Carbon Monoxide into your trailer. DKB SATX & Lew are giving you good advice.

It is not worth the risk.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You'll be pleasantly able to rest in the warmth of the knowledge that you can trust your furnace, not worrying if it is going to explode in your sleep.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
That was what I was thinking. Would have to replace almost everything and still be 33 year old heater. Will most likely do space heaters for awhile since we don't do a lot of cold weather camping.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote