Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Question Radiant Floor Heat

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1971 31 Sovereign. I currently have the rear floor out and am waiting for for parts until I continue. However, my question relates to heat. I took the old furnace out and I am contemplating the best way to heat the Airstream when I put it back together. I was thinking that a radiant heat placed under the new finish floor (floating hardwood) would be pretty cool. Has anyone thought of this and tried it out yet? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this idea?

Thank you.

Chad
cjohannesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the forums!

I would think that the radiant heat pad between the sub-floor & floating hardwood floor wouldn't be a good long-term solution. My thought is that the movement of the floating floor during travel would abrade the mat over time. Maybe someone has first-hand experience with them...just my thoughts.

BTW, do you really need heat in Florida?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Lots of threads on this idea, try the search function. It is more technically complicated than it looks at first. Heat the water and circulate it in a moving flexible structure. The energy requirements are higher. A regular furnance with ducts or a couple small cat heaters (no 12 volt needed) would serve you well.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Glad to have you with us!

I'm sure there are many different radiant systems out there. However, we just did radiant floor heating in our house when we redid the bathroom. Both systems we looked at required that the wiring be inbedded in mortar (we used a thin, self-leveling mortar), which you obviously can't do in a trailer. The instructions said to inbed even if the flooring was to be the floating. Perhaps there's something out there that wouldn't require mortar, but I'm not aware of it if there is. But believe me, I too had the thought it would be awesome in an AS!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
I did search and didn't find it. I guess I searched the wrong thing. I was actually thinking some of the electric instead of water based systems - some seem like they might actually be able to work off battery power via an inverter. I am actually planning the entire new re-build based on electric with a propane generator that will power most of not all things. I was thinking a 5KW or 6KW would do it.

I was thinking a small catalytic heater could be a supplement if needed if I ever went to the mountains and utilized it in a winter environment.

Thanks for the thoughts and I will use them in my decision as to what I do.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hot water radiant heat systems

I saw a system on This Old House - some kind of flexible PEX like hose was laid between joists on a reflective metal tray - that had channels for the hose. This was nailed to each joist, then the subfloor was laid over it, and carpeting installed. They said it could be retrofitted to a house with existing wood or carpeted floors as long as you could access the joists from below. It circulates heated water under the floor.

I've also been made aware that there are "radiator" systems out there. I need to attend to some business right now, but I'll look up the link later - I think Lewster sent it to me.

Paula
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Thank you for the thoughts so far. I am interested in one of the electric versions and possibly powering it with an inverter. I am thinking that the re-built 31 Soveriegn ( My wife and I should name her) will be based on propane powered generator and plug in only so I wanted to re-capture the old furnace space for other things.

In response to Inside Out, I would love to go spend an extended period in the mountains in winter and I want to rebuild it now so I can use it to do that in 10 years plus. We bought it thinking it could be used as is, and well I have since gutted it and the project gets bigger with everyday of work on it. I just want to do it right and plan for the future b/c one gut rehab per Airstream is enough for me (for now). Plus it gets cold here in Flordida every once in awhile.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
In the search section use Google, you will get better results. Great idea.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I put 120v.heat mats under my cork floor. I love them! The floor fees so good! They work well down to the low 50's.Then I need some extra heating.cost around $300.
I would do it again.

Bibbs
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

It takes a lot of battery to heat with 120v mats and an inverter. To use it without a generator running will be a challenge. The tradeoff will be that you will probably need to replace your furnace with a few batteries, so no real space savings. Running your genset all night at a campground will not make you any friends either. I am thinking of using a 120v oil-filled radiator type heater for daytime use when I can run a generator, and a vented propane radiant heater for the times I can't use a genset.
The radiator fits into the bottom of the coat closet so it can be stored out of the way. I have used it in temps down to about 45 degrees and it worked great. I only have about 18' of trailer to heat, compared to your 27' though. The radiator I have runs on 1500 watts on its highest setting, but after heating the interior up to comfortable temps I turn it to low or medium settings(1000 and 1250 watts. It has a built-in timer and thermostat also. 1500 watts under your flooring would take a long time to heat up the whole interior.
There are a lot of ways to go with this so keep on checking for what works for you.

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Go with two small propane cats. You get the furnance space back and won't freeze when your battery is dead or other electrical problems.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
Go with two small propane cats. You get the furnance space back and won't freeze when your battery is dead or other electrical problems.

Is it true, that when you forget to open the window these heaters help you to sleep, for a very, very long time?
I hear a lot of people use these in Airstreams but is there some kind of built-in protection against asphyxiation? Personally speaking, after a few cocktails I can hardly get in the door, much less remember to open a window. At least it's a peaceful way to go
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
burton , Michigan
what about catalytic heaters? Are they any good?
goobygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

That's what Over59 was talking about(propane cats) not the feline type, I hope. My understanding is that they require ventilation to keep from killing you.
Rich
Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Just found this thread...

I just ran across this thread today otherwise I would have responded earlier. I am intending to use hot water in PEX tubing on top of my sub-floor. My 1973 31' is a complete interior rebuild so I can easily enough do that if I want. I just wrote a rather long post in another thread which you could read here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ers-59777.html

Post number 34.

If you want electric radiant heat in the floors you might want to check out the following link:

STEP Warmfloor™ - STEP RV™

These folks have some products that are designed for RV use. I have not studied what they have to offer in much detail though.

This electric heater might be of interest to someone reading this thread. Again I have no personal experience but it is recommended by Bob Vila.

EdenPURE Heaters Quartz Infrared Portable - EdenPURE® GEN3 Model 500 Quartz Infrared Portable Heater - Heats up to 300 SQ. Feet

Malcolm
Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
I just found this searching the internet for RV radiant heat floors.

STEP RVâ„¢ - Heating RV/s, motorhomes, boats, etc - STEP Warmfloor

Going to look into this for myself. But it does have a high energy usage. Can be run off solar or wind it says but if you will be plugging in that shouldn't be a problem. I am looking at this because I am in Montana and need good heating and a high R-Factor insulation. I too have a really really hard time finding any information searching the forums here. Not sure why but whenever I search for something it comes up with 4k+ results and none of them have anything to do with what I am looking for. I must be doing something wrong.
aholmquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Go to "forums" upper left to pull down menu and select category.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...at-128840.html

Heres one
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholmquist View Post
I just found this searching the internet for RV radiant heat floors.

STEP RVâ„¢ - Heating RV/s, motorhomes, boats, etc - STEP Warmfloor

Going to look into this for myself. But it does have a high energy usage. Can be run off solar or wind it says but if you will be plugging in that shouldn't be a problem. I am looking at this because I am in Montana and need good heating and a high R-Factor insulation. I too have a really really hard time finding any information searching the forums here. Not sure why but whenever I search for something it comes up with 4k+ results and none of them have anything to do with what I am looking for. I must be doing something wrong.

I wintered over one year in the Colorado mountains. The coldest it got was a week of -20F at night and 0F in the day. The rig was an older 5th wheel originally with an uninsulated unskinned belly and no tank heaters. I put tank heaters on the three tanks, lined the underside with Reflectix (foil faced bubble wrap), put heat tapes on the water in hose and the dirty water fittings to just on the downstream side of the dump valves then wrapped those with Reflectix, made a skirt for the main part out of the plasticized paper lumber gets wrapped in, kept the gas tanks full and the heater on - never froze.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat, radiant