Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
No furnace option on thermostat

I bought a used 23’ safari se. My furnace doesn’t work and there is no mode option on the thermostat for a furnace. I do have an attwood furnace in the trailer. It doesn’t work. The fuse box says furnace and running lights are on the same fuse, and the running lights work. Any info. Would be appreciated.

Thanks
Airone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
See if it has an Aqua mode. If so, hit up and down arrows together and it might switch to furnace mode.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Running lights are powered by the tow vehicle.
Furnace is powered by trailer's 12 volt electrical system, through the converter and/or battery.

What year model is your Safari?
Does your trailer have a heat pump, or is it air conditioner only?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
See if it has an Aqua mode. If so, hit up and down arrows together and it might switch to furnace mode.
I must have hit those together by accident recently. That had me stumped for a few minutes until I randomly pressed both arrows and got Furnace back on the menu! I probably would have pushed buttons for another hour before breaking down and reading the manual. What is Aqua mode?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Furnace is powered by trailer's 12 volt electrical system, through the converter and/or battery.

2007 and yes it has a heat pump.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I must have hit those together by accident recently. That had me stumped for a few minutes until I randomly pressed both arrows and got Furnace back on the menu! I probably would have pushed buttons for another hour before breaking down and reading the manual. What is Aqua mode?

I’ll try that. I don’t know what aqua mode is. Never heard of it but I learn something new every day it seems.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post

It does have a heat pump. 2007 23’ Safari SE
Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airone View Post
I’ll try that. I don’t know what aqua mode is. Never heard of it but I learn something new every day it seems.
There was a recent thread that discussed this. The CCC2 thermostat has three languages, English, French, and Spanish. You cycle through them by depressing the up and down buttons simultaneously.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
aqua mode = a thermostat setting used when there is hydronic heating in lieu of the furnace

you can download a manual here;
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...#documentation
Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
. . .
. . . before breaking down and reading the manual.
. . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
My thermostat looks like thisClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	323670
Old 09-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I had a similar problem when they replaced my AC unit. They failed to properly set the switches on the roof unit. I took the cover off set the switch and all was well, however I do no have your thermostat.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
My thermostat looks like thisAttachment 323670

This is a link to the manual for your thermostat>
https://assets.interactcp.com/fretzr...rol_Manual.pdf
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Quote:
My thermostat looks like thisAttachment 323670
Have the same thermostat connected to an original Penguin 13.5 BTU with heat-pump. It operates the same as the newer models, toggling between Fan, AC, Heat Pump, Furnace.

Spoke with Dometic support while researching options for replacement and was told that the Furnace option only appears if the control board in the AC unit itself sees a Furnace connected, which is what @urnmor indicated in his post. The thermostat is connected to the control board via an RJ-11 style telephone cord, so if it's working at all the issue will be with the control board in the main AC unit.

It is also possible to install a newer AC with a control board that interfaces with the original Comfort Control thermostat. If the AC has been upgraded and the original thermostat left in place, something may not have been connected during the swap.

You can always contact Dometic support with questions. I have called half a dozen times with various inquiries, and while not everyone knows everything, on several occasions the representative was able to speak with a tech person offline and get answers to even very specific technical questions. Overall quite impressed with their support.

RV owners and end-user customer support @ 800.544.4881
aswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I had a similar problem when they replaced my AC unit. They failed to properly set the switches on the roof unit. I took the cover off set the switch and all was well, however I do no have your thermostat.
We had this happen, too ... when we replaced the AC and got a new thermostat.

Read your thermostat's manual (if you have it ... if not you should be able to find it online)...that will give you directions to reset it or trouble-shoot as needed...I had to do that as well.

Good luck. This stuff is frustrating.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I bought a used 23’ safari se. My furnace doesn’t work and there is no mode option on the thermostat for a furnace. I do have an attwood furnace in the trailer. It doesn’t work. The fuse box says furnace and running lights are on the same fuse, and the running lights work. Any info. Would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's a long shot but on our maiden voyage night 2, I had a stat that turned on the furnace and the AC at the same time. I suspect pushing buttons I should not have. However a hard re-boot to factory specs solved the issue. I discovered instructions in the stat manual (Dometic). The furnace is a Atwood 7920-II Hydro Flame.

Happy Trails
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswell View Post
Have the same thermostat connected to an original Penguin 13.5 BTU with heat-pump. It operates the same as the newer models, toggling between Fan, AC, Heat Pump, Furnace.

Spoke with Dometic support while researching options for replacement and was told that the Furnace option only appears if the control board in the AC unit itself sees a Furnace connected, which is what @urnmor indicated in his post. The thermostat is connected to the control board via an RJ-11 style telephone cord, so if it's working at all the issue will be with the control board in the main AC unit.

It is also possible to install a newer AC with a control board that interfaces with the original Comfort Control thermostat. If the AC has been upgraded and the original thermostat left in place, something may not have been connected during the swap.

You can always contact Dometic support with questions. I have called half a dozen times with various inquiries, and while not everyone knows everything, on several occasions the representative was able to speak with a tech person offline and get answers to even very specific technical questions. Overall quite impressed with their support.

RV owners and end-user customer support @ 800.544.4881

Thanks , that’s a lot of good info for me to look into. I have a feeling the ac was worked on before I bought it. I noticed what looked like a hanging phone line under the inside vent filter cover. Also my ac condensation tube isn’t connected to anything. Ac just drains out on the roof. Some prior owner had some kind of work done.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #18
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Quote:
Thanks , that’s a lot of good info for me to look into. I have a feeling the ac was worked on before I bought it. I noticed what looked like a hanging phone line under the inside vent filter cover. Also my ac condensation tube isn’t connected to anything. Ac just drains out on the roof. Some prior owner had some kind of work done.
Your feeling is likely correct, and it sounds like things weren't quite put back together properly.

Just so you know, if you do have someone service the unit, there is a pretty simple solution for the condensation issue: https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-079.htm
aswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswell View Post
Your feeling is likely correct, and it sounds like things weren't quite put back together properly.

Just so you know, if you do have someone service the unit, there is a pretty simple solution for the condensation issue: https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-079.htm

I want to thank everyone for your valuable information. I can’t thank you enough. My furnace is now working. The DIP switch on the AC Circuit board was turned off for the furnace. When I flipped that switch up the thermostat recognized the furnace. Just had to clean up the dirt Dobbe from the furnace vent. I turned on the gas turned it on at the the thermostat and everything fired up. Thanks again.
Daniel Borgman, Plano Texas
Old 12-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:

Thanks
We just had the same thing happen. We did the master reset only to see everything disappear too. Checked with the KOA and they had a RV mobile repair tech in the area. Guess it's common that KOAs have a local business RV tech number available. Long story short, when he looked at it, it decided to work again? However, I asked him to check the telephone wire people were talking about in this thread. He noticed the alignment of the wires in the jack, one of the wires looked to be recessed not allowing for good contact. He re-terminated the connection ( cut, replaced jack for a new tight aligned connection). You would need to get a tool from a place like Lowe's to be able to fix it. YouTube videos will show you how if you are a DIY person. I took a picture to show location and what it should look like when right. Not sure I can post photos. However, you would need to YouTube telephone jack termination to understand how to DIY. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_180441.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	357230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_180339.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	357231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_180358.jpg