Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Quincy , Massachusetts
Crack in A/C Shroud

I have an 02 Safari with a Dometic A/C unit and just noticed a 2" crack starting from the attachment screw hole going up the cover. Is this cover ABS Plastic or Fibergalss. I know how to fix fiberglass but if it is ABS I haven't a clue. Duct Tape?
Gregg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I used J B Weld and it has held up fine over the last 8 months.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Mine cracked last year. I bit the bullet and bought a replacement this spring. I figured once it started the UV had probably gotten to it, and it probably will fail somewhere else and at an inopportune time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

ABS "Permanent" Repair

Posted from the Apache Forums

The best ABS crack repair you can do is with MEK (MethylEthylKetone) and ABS powder or chips. MEK can be found at most hardware stores, and it does a great job melting ABS (given time). ABS could probably be found at a hardware store in the PVC area. If someone finds a good source for white ABS, please let me know. You'll have to grind it up somehow (file or saw, etc.). The best repair method I've seen was described by Gary Burch. Use a small metal or glass jar with a lid. Mix about equal parts MEK and ABS powder or chips. If using chips, the smaller they are, the better, as they take time to melt. Cover and let sit a few minutes, then uncover and stir. Repeat for the next 30 minutes or so until all the chips are melted into a nice thick toxic goo. I've only tried ABS chips, but powder should melt a lot faster than chips. Anyways, this goo can then be spread over the cracks. Work quickly, as it dries fast. Ideally you'd rough-up the ABS surrounding the crack and carefully clean it with ABS/PVC cleaning solvent prior to applying the goo. Be careful with the cleaner as it can drip down the side and remove the white color of the ABS. You can also use fiberglass strips to cover larger holes first before applying the goo. Multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat.

This type of repair will outlast any repair made with fiberglass material only. I've had great success with this method. It can even be sanded smooth and painted. Oh yeah - Apache Sales and others sell pre-mixed goo by the can (for around $12.00). Happy patching! -
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Quincy , Massachusetts
Are the shrouds univeral or and airstream only part. Can you get them from any RV dealer or just AS supliers?
Gregg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg S
Are the shrouds univeral or and airstream only part. Can you get them from any RV dealer or just AS supliers?
They are available from any RV supply store. I just googled "rv air conditioner shroud", and got an immediate hit:Duo-Therm RV Air Conditioner Shrouds for Sale
Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
They aren't cheap though so be prepared to spend at least $100+. The Duo-Therm replacement shrouds made for the Penguin's comes with new gasket material. The gasket is part of the air channeling system that properly directs the air flow through the shroud. It compresses over time and a shroud replacement without a new gasket may not seal tightly thus causing poor air flow over the coils.

I bought my replacement from the local Airstream dealer. It didn't cost me any more than any site I could find on the Internet, especially once you add shipping charges.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg S
I have an 02 Safari with a Dometic A/C unit and just noticed a 2" crack starting from the attachment screw hole going up the cover. Is this cover ABS Plastic or Fibergalss. I know how to fix fiberglass but if it is ABS I haven't a clue. Duct Tape?
Three things attack the AC covers.

UV from the sun.

And, believe it or not, lack of proper running gear balance.

Also lack of enough fasteners allows the cover to flutter when going down the road.

Adding "fender washers" usually takes care of the vibration problems.

Painting the shroud stops the UV problems.

But hey, if you didn't take the time to have some things repaired on your Airstream, you would have to do more camping.

That's great too, except for the fuel prices today.

The oil companies are causing all kinds of prices to rise, even at grocery stores.

I hope they soon back off, so as to not cause a total economical breakdown in our country.

All of our vendors, without exception, have gotten on the band wagon, and have already raised prices from a little, and some to hell and back.

We will hold our price structures as long as we can.

Ah yes, oil companies say they are not the problem, but they all report huge, unheard of profits.

Makes for a good discussion, as to "who" really runs our country, politicians or greedy oil companies?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote