Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

AC cover [shroud]

I have researched the data base on this subject and unless I overlooked some sections, I was wondering if any one tryed repairing there " egg shell thin", cracked or just time worn AC cover.
I have some polyester resin and thought bout " laying up the inside " of the shroud and then paint the outside with a premium marine deck paint. or something along those lines.
I know epoxy would be better but.......
any one?

~markus~
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I have seen a 'heavy-duty' replacement shroud sold at Camping World. I'm not sure I would go the resin-repair route unless it was a vintage restoration issue IMHO.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
AC shrouds

Airstream used 4 different Air conditioning models.

All the shrouds they made were plastic.

We have replacements for all of them but they are made with fiberglass.

That eliminates the cracking because of old age.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Expense

The replacement shrouds available are, I'm sure, more durable than original equipment. The are also quite expensive due to a supply and demand situation ($200 - $400).

My AC cover looks like...bad; I'd love to have a new one, but will not buy a new one until I have at least made an attempt to repair the existing one, or my repair just doesn't hold up. Yes, my time is worth something, but I ENJOY working on things, especially my Airstream.

As long as a safety-critical function is not involved, my joy comes from repairing/refurbing my Airstream, not just dumping money into new parts.

Just a thought,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I also have a plastic a/c shroud that needs repaired or replaced. The look of a plastic (or fiberglass) shroud on top of an aluminum airstream never has looked good to me. Has anyone ever seen or made a custom aluminum shroud? I've been considering making one - just wondering if anyone else has considered this option!

David
davja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
How about trying to spray paint one using that aluminium paint? Just a thought, as the aircraft aluminium is so bloody expensive per square foot to make one...

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by davja
I also have a plastic a/c shroud that needs repaired or replaced. The look of a plastic (or fiberglass) shroud on top of an aluminum airstream never has looked good to me. Has anyone ever seen or made a custom aluminum shroud? I've been considering making one - just wondering if anyone else has considered this option!

David
David!
Do we think alike or what! I have been playing with the measurements to make one out of aluminum. Just trying to figure out what the venting requirements are My AS is a 1975, but according to the numbers on my AC unit it is a 1976 so apparently the AC unit was installed a little later, and 1975-76 was the change over year. As soon as we get a mock up designed I will post a picture of it here. We are building the mock up with poster board. We will probably build the actual cover out of .040 with some .063 stiffners welded in.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Aaron-
Excellent! I knew I couldn't be the only one with that idea. I probably won't have time to work on mine until this spring - good luck on yours & I look forward to seeing & reading results. Were you planning on a three piece design?

David
davja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hell, just show a pic of the mock-up, squared corner, no wait how can we .. the alum,
ok I ...wonder if............markus
Old 01-19-2004, 03:35 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Markus,
The current started mock-up looks like something out of battle star galactica, it follows the basic shape of the orginal but instead of rounded corners it is kind of hard edged. I would love to get an English Wheel and roll a new shell for the AC unit but that is beyond my capabilities at this point. Check out this website
http://www.tinmantech.com/ This guy knows how to do it! We just have TIG/MIG capabilities and a decent metal brake.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I hear that, having the right tools is half the battle.
looking foward to seeing how your project progresses.
good luck!

~markus~
Old 01-20-2004, 09:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
how can I repair the AC cover
can I use polyester on the inside
the cover has some small cracks
I already get sick if I only think of the shipping cost for a new one
to the netherlands
Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Possible repair technique

Quote:
Originally posted by remcolent
how can I repair the AC cover
I'm lining up possible repair techniques for my A/C cover. Right now, I'm assuming the cover is ABS plastic, which means most glues and/or resins won't stick to it for very long. In the past, I have been able to repair similar things with fiberglass and resin by drilling a bunch of quarter-inch holes in the article, and fiberglassing both sides. The holes allow the resin to 'lock' both sides together. The A/C cover, however, may be a bit thin for this technique.

I'm getting ready to experiment with, in effect, "making" new plastic: Cut/Grind/whatever some ABS plastic into shavings. Put the shavings in small glass jar, and pour a small amount of methly ethyl ketone (MEK) in with the shavings. Cover tightly. Let set a while for the MEK to dissolve the shavings. Too thin - add more shavings; Too thick - add MEK. The right consistency should work well for cracks. Thin it a bit, and it will make excellent solvent weld to affix new pieces of plastic.

Keep in mind that, although you want it to look as good as possible, the height it's mounted will make it difficult to spot flaws.

Just some thoughts,
Tom
Old 01-20-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Some repairs create a "liability" problem.

As an example, if the original cover fails, flys off and hurts someone while in transit, that's one thing, in that you didn't know it was cracked.

On the other hand, "IF" you had knowledge that the cover was cracked, and you repaired it, but the repairs failed, you now become totally liable if it comes off, and hurts someone.

Repairing somethings yourself, admittedly, is a great way to save money. However, if because a failure with that repair hurts someone else, we become instantly liable.

That may cause you far more headaches than you ever wished you bargained for.

Andy
Old 01-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
whe do not have that big problems here in the netherlands
if parts fall of and give damage to others insurance pay's
I do not need a insurance on the trailor
when trailor in behind the car
car insurance covers the trailor as well
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Shroud reconstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
I'm lining up possible repair techniques for my A/C cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandRV
Some repairs create a "liability" problem.
A mere seven months later, I have completed repairs to my air conditioner shroud. Scratch what I said about making new plastic. There was no reason to as it is already available commercially as ABS Cement. “Cement” is somewhat of a misnomer since when this stuff is used, it does not glue plastic parts together, it solvent welds them together. There is effectively no bond line for separation to occur.

Keeping in mind what Andy said, I decided there were two challenges to this project: Fill the existing holes, and strengthen the entire shroud. While I have tons of step-by-step pictures for anyone who is really interested, the pictures below show the shroud before the repair, the inside of the shroud reinforced with ABS Cement-impregnated fiberglass mat, and the completed shroud painted in it’s original color.

Edit - There is a picture of the cover installed in the photo section.

Ultimately, the only “flying debris” issue of concern is the small amount of Bondo used to make the patch lines look good. But the since the amount used was so small, I see no associated safety hazard for anyone traveling behind me.

Although I did not weigh the shroud before or after the repair, I was careful to not glob cement or mat on unnecessarily. The shroud does not appear to be unusually heavy.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenerallyLooksBad.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	8820   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReinforcedInside1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	8821  

Name:	GenerallyLooksGood.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	8822  
Old 09-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Tom, excellent work! A true labor of love. Thanks for the information about the repair method and materials. I thought that stuff was irrepairable. Nick
Old 09-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tom.

Looks great.

But........you still have a plastic cover.

Andy
Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
To the Obewon of Schrouds

Tom, you did an excellent job! With the cover in the condition that you started with its amazing, it looks damn fine and well crafted. Congrats on a job well done.

The cover on mine is not filmsy as its a good 1/4" thick fiberglass. After all these posts about being so thin, I was pleasently surprised. It is also secured with 13 screws around its base. The issue with this one is that the surface has deteriorated and the fiber is slightly exposed. My intent is to encapsulate it with a couple coats of the proper paint and change the color, maybe a metalic pewter. A premium grade automotive paint appears to be the best choice for fiberglass.

There was one chunk missing from the end sidewall that I think was a result of being smacked by a tree limb. I chose the 'battle scar' approach for it's patch. However I may follow through with a continuious aluminum strip riveted in place along the entire end to unify. Doing fiberglass work does not excite me. Besides, I like the battle scar, demonstrates character, kinda like hail dents and rivets in holes where old accessories were removed.

My AC unit is a DuoTherm Brisk Air XL Supreme. I ran it for a few hours and all worked well. The patch jobs present (PO) on 2 of the lines appears to be OK. I did a rub on the name plate and came away with the serial and unit numbers but have no clue as to where to find out more specs on this unit, its age, and the care and maintenance for it. Any comments in this direction would be appreciated.

Again Tom, fine looking effort.
Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC16 r2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	8824   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC15r.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	8825  

Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
But........you still have a plastic cover.
Au contraire!

With the fiberglass mat used in the reconstruction, I have a part plastic, part fiberglass cover.

It's...it's...a Frankenshroud !!!

Tom