Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Stuck microwave

I have a 88 34' limited and I am trying to get the (I assume) original microwave out of it's space. I loosened the the two thumscrews accesible from the storage area above the unit but there is something ddfinately holding it back. I have a feeling there is a trick to it and that it should slide out but any help would be most appreciated.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Try looking down the sides...

As owner of an '88, I suspect many of original microwaves have been upgraded... Ours was, and PO who did replacement used little black plastic "Hold Downs" on both sides, front and back, in 1" space on each side of oven... Took some effort to pop latches open and wiggle out plastic straps to be able to remove oven, and they also added wooden "lip" to bottom of front opening which we had to remove to get at straps and remove...

Flashlight and some long skinny tools come in handy... (along with patience..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

No longer an issue.........once I found that a switch over the stove would cut off power to the unit. I suppose that was to prevent tripping the 30 amp breaker if the AC and this were on at same time.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Ah yes.. The mystery switch...

I suspect a number of us (confessing now..) can admit to knowing more about microwave mounting as a result of delayed learning about the "Mystery Switch" inside the cabinet over the stove... It was indeed designed and built in by Airstream to keep foolish owners from attempting to run both A/C and Microwaves simultaneously... Cleverly unlabeled, to make second and subsequent owners read their entire manuals, and then find a website like this one...

I suppose a number of microwaves have been relocated or replaced by folks who didn't learn of the Switch in time... I suspect there are some confessions of Air Conditioner replacements also by folks who's switch was in the other position, and took trailer to a non-A/S shop to have the dead A/C replaced..

There's so much to learn, and so little time... Glad it all worked out, though new combo microwave/convection oven toasters do look pretty cool...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote