Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Do you need an oven?

My wife and I have been talking about another mod to our 23' International ...Removing the flimsey Dometic stove/oven and replacing with a better quality cooktop ( Force 10 three burner) and using the new space under it to install two new drawers. We wonder if we are being precipitous! Are we infected with the Modificacious virus?

So the question is, how many chefs out there actually use the oven? Has anyone else done this and rued the decision?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Some like the oven, some don't. We have both an oven and a microwave, and use the oven much more than the micro. When we bought this trailer we have now, we passed on one just like it that had a convection microwave and no oven, but I suspect others would not have.

I think this is something you will have to decide for yourself based on your life/cooking style.

One thing to consider is if you ever plan to do any camping without hookups. A gas oven works fine without hookups, but you'll have to have generator to us a microwave without hookups.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Well, the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...-28619-28.html thread has 386 posts (right now) about this exactly.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
My wife and I love our oven and use it often! How else could we cook those chocolate chip cookies that you slice from the tube of dough?
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We just picked up our 2008 Class 25 and tried the oven for the first time on our shake down trip. The previous owner never used the oven. We wanted to heat up a lasagna so we popped it into the oven. The oven smelled like it was burning off the brand newness and it activated the smoke alarm. My dog hates smoke alarms. We ran the Fantastic fan and kept the door open and eventually the oven smell got better. One thing I noticed their is a tremendous amount of heat coming out the rear vent of the oven. We had to run the stove top vent fan also. Not sure it would be fun using the oven in Texas summers to bake cookies. We have a small toaster oven for that sort of thing.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
One thing I noticed their is a tremendous amount of heat coming out the rear vent of the oven. We had to run the stove top vent fan also. Not sure it would be fun using the oven in Texas summers to bake cookies.
But when it is in the 40's outside, the extra heat keeps it nice and cozy inside. The wife is baking some bread at the moment.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Bread machine doesn't require an oven, our micro/convection does bake. Cooking indoors is usually limited, very little baking while traveling, good reason to check out bakeries.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
After 6 years with ovens in my 3 successive Airstreams, I traded my oven with a friend for the cook top and 3 drawers in her, otherwise identical trailer. She yearned for an oven and we used ours to store the frying pan and toaster.

It took only minutes to install my oven in her trailer and the cook top in mine to get me home. The drawers took me a little longer to install the rails and slides once I was back at the storage yard.

The drawers are two shallow drawers and a deeper drawer. The shallow drawers don't hold much. I am seriously thinking of converting the two shallow drawers into one deeper drawer but keeping the outward appearance of two shallow drawers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have an oven and we are glad we do. We've used it quite a bit, actually... for instance, we usually travel for the holidays and it's great to bake a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving or roast a small turkey or ham for Christmas dinner. We've done all these...I think we'd really miss it. (It's a great bread box when it's not in use, too!) We dont have anywhere to install a microwave in the 19' Bambi, so we carry a small inexpensive micro when we know we will have electircity....we use it, too.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
8 years, never used the oven. We carry bread in it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
My wife and I have been talking about another mod to our 23' International ...Removing the flimsey Dometic stove/oven and replacing with a better quality cooktop ( Force 10 three burner) and using the new space under it to install two new drawers. We wonder if we are being precipitous! Are we infected with the Modificacious virus?

So the question is, how many chefs out there actually use the oven? Has anyone else done this and rued the decision?

Thanks!

It's a perennial question and there will be people lining up to say that the either can't live without it or don't know what to do with it as the case may be.

Seeing as how you're in B.C. where it rains you might want to think about keeping it. Most of the no-oven crowd live and camp in the desert southwest or other places where they can count on cooking outside.

But if you always camp where there's electricity, or if you're one of those generator people, well then you can use a convection microwave or something and get by.

Or you might just have a cooking style that doesn't utilize an oven, or you might not cook much at all. Well then.

Me I live and camp where it rains and so we can't count upon cooking outside. We sometimes camp where hookups are unavailable. I don't tote a generator. My personal cooking style involves a good deal of roasts and bread and baked goods of one kind or another. So as you might well imagine I'm not about to give up my oven.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Convection/Microwave here and we use both the functions of the oven. I like fresh biscuits. The oven is used more than the cook top because we generally cook on a Coleman gas stove or electric burner outside to keep from stinking the trailer up.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I'd do bad things for a working oven. The original Magic Chef in our '64 Globetrotter worked really well (oven and two burners, the other two burners were dead) until a series of repairs made the whole thing essentially inoperable. I I've been looking at used but think we'll go with a new Atwood sealed burner 21" gas range. I don't think they bake as well as the old units, but we don't seem to have a great choice in the US. SMEV cooktops are used here but we can't get the ovens. http://www.smev.com/spare.smev.com/c...catalogo_1.pdf
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We use ours.

The boondock flexibility is a plus, too.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The official nickname for "modicicacious noxiainfectus" is FARKELING. This is a blend of words "functional" and "sparkling" meaning both occur with the activity.

FARKEL on!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Wonderful!

That makes us Farkers!

:-)
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Well...we're gonna find out how much we like having an oven...we apparently are not the most observant people on the planet So... we have a micro/conv/cooktop combo in our Sovereign 21 - frankly I've used the micro maybe 5X in 2 years.... so we decide we want a second larger Airstream -- we find a great deal on a 2012 Serenity 28' - I swear we have looked at those pics a zillion times... walked through it last night ... still didn't notice that it had an oven and no microwave Once we got over the "panic" we started talking about how we could toast garlic bread and the hubby could make his biscuits when we boondock (which we do a lot)...so we're gonna see how it goes. If we miss the micro we can always get a small one and stash it somewhere....

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
We really want a oven in the 25 Eddie Bauer but all the models we can find only have the convection micro and cook top. The 27s have a oven and slide out micro for the most part.

That is the only reason we want a 27. We don't need the extra storage. Is the oven worth a extra 6 k and 2+ feet of extra weight to tow. I say no.. Wife says yes.

I grill a ton and can do most anything in a oven on a grill but my wife wants the oven to control her meals when she cooks

Sure we could add one on a 25 but then we lose the functional space for the micro.

Decesions decessions
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Having had a 25 and a 28, I say get the bigger trailer. No real difference in towing. Not to carrry more stuff, but to not have everything jumbled.

We had ovens in out 3 Airstreams, but virtually never used them. We finaly traded the oven for a cooktop and drawers. Lots better.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post

Thanks!
Wish I had known before I ordered an oven which we will get in a couple of weeks. Darn. The Airstream we have now only has a micro conv. and I really miss my oven. Have to have an oven.