Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Broken Tubing In Oven

When we bought our '01 25' Airstream, the small 3/16" aluminum tubing that goes to the pilot light was broken where it enters the pilot light assembly. I repaired it by splicing the tubing to get some extra length to replace the part that was broken off. It was broken right at the compression ferrel. The alternative was to remove the oven to replace the tubing as it enters the oven from the rear.

On our trip last weekend, I found the tubing broken again at the same spot. It must be moving during transit and hardening at that spot, causing the break.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, what was your solution?
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I saw a thread about this same problem a few weeks ago but I can't find it now. I remember that Silvertwinkie was one of the posters though. You might check his previous posts and find it there. I remember one solution was to replace the whole tube with copper which requires removing the oven. It sounded pretty easy to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a recall on those ovens, as this is a serious defect. more than one of the posters had the full fireball-in-the-trailer thing happen.

Be careful, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Here's that thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...lem-43801.html
Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, Crazylev is right. I just re-installed it this past Sunday. I plan on updating with some photos later. I would not re-use that POS alum line. I spent maybe $15 on my fix which thanks to the posters of the linked thread got me to where I am now, a fix that will not break, is not over torqued or stressed which caused it in the first place.

There really should be a reacall on this oven. This is a potential issue of some significance. Three things you don't mess with, things that burn LP, your running gear or your hitch.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Looking at the first picture in post 33 of
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...m-43801-3.html
I would say the problem is a result of overtightening the nut on the pearl. When a brass pearl is used on aluminum tubing the aluminum is much softer than the brass and the edges of the pearl cut into the aluminum. If overtightened the aluminum tubing is cut almost like a beer can top. Any additional vibration after that will brake the tubing.

If it were mu stove I would replace the tubing with copper tubing and consider a service loop in the tubing just before the connection and support the end of the loop farthest from the pilot.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote