Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
E-PEX tubing

When I modified the dinette in my trailer into a couch, I had to cut several E-PEX tubes in order to route the wires and relocate the water pump. I bought some E-PEX tubing and attempted to use common tube clamps to reconnect the system. I had leaks at each connection that would not stop short of stripping out the clamps. Apparently, the E-PEX is just too rigid to compress in this manner.

I found this just a day before leaving for a week-long trip. My only recourse was to buy the E-PEX crimping tool ($$$) and copper rings (the wrench block was not available).

The first thing I found was that the crimping tool takes a lot of space to operate. I was just barely able to crimp the connections without dissasembling the couch.

Anyone using PEX to replumb a trailer should try to pre-assemble sections of plumbing in open space as much as possible.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:01 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
thanks

thanks for the info, I just spent the weekend tearing out the bath in the overlander after finding rot on corners under the tub and toilet. Since I had to remove all of the copper tubing I was considering going back with the E-Pex, but I think I'll just go back with the copper, it's easy to work with and I've got tons of fittings and pipe laying around.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

There are a couple of other options. Flair-it brand fittings appear to be very secure, and, in theory, tighten down by hand. I always give them another turn with pliers. There is also the Qest plastic fittings. These are much larger and bulkier, but are much easier to work with, and can be tightened with a wrench. Finally, there is a crimping tool for the brass Qest fittings that looks and works like a muffler clamp - you place each part around the tube and tighten it down with a wrench or socket. It is designed to work in tight places.

But, in general it is much easier to assemble it first berfore installation when you can.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:03 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Wrench block

Unfortunately, the wrench block wasn't available; since I was leaving in about 18 hours, I had no time to consider options. I was connecting to existing Tees, so other types of fittings weren't practical.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote