Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Fridge heats up while driving on LP

Recall not installed.

I’ll try to find recall doc.

But I now think best thing would be to go on dometic site and look for recall by model number etc

On my 2007 the visible clue for recall was a large sheet metal panel that covers entire burner assy.

I’m on iPhone not pc harder to do a few things this way.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #22
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbailey View Post
Airstream manual for my 2018 Flying Cloud (with Dometic refrigerator) instructs the trailer owner/reader to carefully study the supplied manuals for installed appliances. This morning I poured over Dometic Installation and Operation manuals . . . and I quote—

12V VDC Connection
RM2451, RM2551, DM2652, DM2852, RM3762, RM3962, RM1350, RM1350SL & NDA1402: these refrigerator models are not designed for 12 VDC operation of the cooling system; however, 12VDC must be supplied to operate the controls.

On one trip of 5+ hours duration I secured the trailer and as a last step before closing and locking the door, I toggled Battery Disconnect (beside door on inside) to the STORE position, which, as I understand it, cuts 12 VDC off from everything but the LPG sensor. Without the 12 VDC input, the Dometic refer is not able to operate it's thermostat (and likely shuts down cooling mechanism).

So, if you want to maintain refrigerator operation whilst driving, your Battery Disconnect must be in USE position . . . and one or both LPG bottles must be open, though a RVer is advised NOT to drive with LPG bottles open, and especially one should NOT enter a gas station with either bottle open.

jgbailey
There are nine models that can't operate on propane?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #23
ASLover

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Louisville , Kentucky
Mine not on recall

My RM3762 does not appear to be n the recall list.
gregshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #24
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Does it run on gas if stationary?

I’ll check something else when I get home.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 06-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #25
ASLover

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
First, I'd confirm that while not driving, but running propane it also does not stay cool.

2) Confirm the stove and the furnace both have strong blue flames. No oranges, greens or yellows.

3) make sure the refrigerator is warm so the cooling is operating Open the door if you have to.

4) Here is a link with pictures of a typical set up. The propane burner and also the electric heat element are attached to a boiler off to the side in the back. A pipe runs from the bottom of a metal accumulator bottle and goes to the boiler, that heats the ammonia water solution and distills (separates) ammonia from the water. The ammonia boils at about 110 degrees so the boiler shroud should feel hot but not hot enough to burn you. If it is not hot while it is supposed to be cooling the burner is not functioning correctly.

5) if you're still unsure, compare the feel of the boiler shroud when running on electric heat. It should be the same temperature as with propane.

Try this and come back to us.

Ok so the fridge definitely cools while stationary.

Range flame is strong blue but has a tip or two orange that dance around.

Shroud on gas is very hot to the touch.

Looks like door seal is adequate based on dollar test.

My fridge does not appear to be included in recall.

My next step is to try the easer of the contacts as described in another post.

What else should I do to troubleshoot??

Thanks,
Greg
Old 06-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #26
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Greg,

I'm not an RV or Dometic trained tech, just a hands on guy. I have a PDF of the recall and checked on Dometic and the RM 3762 was not on the list seemed like it skipped over the "7" but it applies to the RM3662 and RM3862?

I've been hands on and hands in post recall to clean and inspect. As I read the DOC it involves a new temp sensor installed in the chimney and shrouding around the burner base and a large 8" X 12" high front shield. It significantly surrounds the burner assy.

From the Dometic Recall PDF 3311145.000:

"This step-by-step instruction describes how to
install the Secondary Burner Housing Assembly
consisting of a protection plate, bottom plate,
boiler cover, rear cover, holder for thermal fuse,
and cover for the heating element. Furthermore,
it explains how to install the thermo disc and
how to connect the thermal fuse and wire on
units operating on LP gas and 120 VAC energy
sources. These units are called 2-Way refrigera-
tors."

Do you have any history of this fridge working correctly while driving in the past, is this a new issue?

My GUESS, the flame is getting blown out while driving, but did you see my opening comment?

Might want to call Dometic or https://rvrefrigeration.com/ Fords RV see link.

Gary
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 AM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Greg,

Just curious, any update?

Gary
Old 06-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #28
ASLover

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Louisville , Kentucky
Not yet. Haven’t been on a trip yet.

Stay tuned.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
jgbailey here (2018 FC 30RB).
I only THOUGHT I was getting LPG refrigeration on the road. Now I have reason not to even try. After repeated attempts (including pulling the AC plug), I was not able to force refer to GAS, and this while parked in camp site. I read and read and tinkered and tinkered. Finally called the RV DOC (Montrose, CO) who gave me the bad news—some device on motherboard crapped out. Must purchase complete motherboard to square away, and that might run up to some big bucks.
RV DOC thinks LPG may never have been used, that first owners probably never tried and thus never knew the board was out. We'll see what warranty does for me, but dealer repair departments are social distancing and booked up through summer, leaving me to order board through mail and try to install it myself . . .
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote