Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2006, 07:13 AM   #21

1976 25' Tradewind
Lakeland , Florida
Turning refrig upsidedown to mix ammonia/hydrogen

I have a 1976 Tradewind with a DM77 refrig. I discovered that the copper wire from the freezer to the gas control was severed as it left the rear of the freezer box. Must have rubbed on the steel box and the copper lost!! I extended the remaining copper wire thru the back of the freezer and reconnected it to the freezing unit. Because this copper tube/wire was severed, I assume there was no thermostat control for the gas operation and the cooling unit over heated and screwed up the ammonia/hydrogen mix. So, as instructed in the Airstream Service Manual, I turned the refrig upsidedown about 5 times over a 5 hour period to get a "better mix" (so I've read), reattached the gas line, lit it, and let it run overnight. The freezer gets to 50 degrees overnight & the refrig to about 70. Does anyone have any idea if I am doing this right? Also, do you know of a reputable Dometic refrig recondition/repair person in central FL? I would like to keep the original refrig if I can. Thanks for any help provided. Don Smith, Lakeland, FL
dfsmitty60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Door seal replacement??

My 39 year old Diometic needs a new door seal. Any iteas on this replacement?

Deano
Deano69LY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Flue cleaning from below

Well, I ran my buret brush up the flue after removing the burner unit--took a good deal of twisting--and let out about half a cup of soot. I put everything back together, fired it up, and 24 hr later--the refer works! I've got 38F below and freezing on top, like I should have--and the cabin is 90F today.

Brushes like mine can be bought from scientific supply houses like Carolina and Boreal Labs/Science Kit, or maybe begged off a teacher friend. Warning: the brush will get pretty bent up, so don't promise it back in pristine condition!
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Sheenboro , Quebec
Recharging Dometics

Hi Folks,
I have a 79 Excella 500 and the apparently (according to 2 sevicemen who have looked at it) the rust inhibitor has crystallized and blocked the big coil on the back of the fridge. Both told me that I could possibly get it cleaned out and recharged, but said it was almost as expensive as a new fridge. Anyone know of anywhere (preferably in Canada) where this can be done?
Thanks
James
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Several in the US...

James-

Sorry to hear the cooling unit itself is bad, as that means more of a challenge. You do still have options, however... There are several shops that advertise rebuilt cooling units for self-installation that might solve problem for less than new box...

Look at http://www.rvcool.com/ for info on new or rebuilt cooling units and how to install in old Dometics. Sounds like it's possible, though freight and customs to get it into Canada could be a challenge. Perhaps some firefighting friends might be able to bring it in on a trip south....

Another alternative is: Cranes RV Refrigerators near San Francisco. THeir website is http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/new_cores.htm They will also sell cooling unit, or rebuilt refrigerators. Relatively small shop, and better to deal by phone or in person than trading e-mails...

I have no direct history with either, but they've been around quite a while... Good luck with your quest.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
blaine , Minnesota
Hi. Can you please send me a picture of this part? I have a ‘69 Sovereign. It worked on AC last year. Never tried on gas. Now it works on gas but not electric. It works better on gas than it ever had on electric!
idahospuds21 is offline   Reply With Quote