Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1974 - 1979 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
London , canada at present
smallest airstream with seperate bedroom?

I have a three year old child so have to have an area to put her to bed, ie mid-bedroom (or ideally rear). Just wondered what the smallest Airstream was that still had this. So far the smallest one I have found is a 23 Airstream Safari. Also if it could be 70's that is the sort of age/price bracket I am looking for. If you know of any for sale that would also be useful.
Thanks for your help
tom
tom wolseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think you're probably right, in that the 24' tradewind is going to be the smallest trailer with a sleeping area that is divided from the kitchen/living room. Maybe some Safaris (22') as well. But I'm pretty sure everything smaller is of the 'one big room' variety.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This site might help you

http://vintageairstream.com/archives/

as well as being useful for looking up trailers you see in ads to get an idea of their original layout before you go look at them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks

Hi Stephanie
That was aquick reply, this is the first time I have used the airstream forum, Thanks for the welcome.
Tom
Old 05-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Get a Flying Cloud-

They have a rear bed, and the doors to the closet and toilet can be "opened together to form a dividing wall (usually) and its 21' up to '53 and 22' thereafter.

I have a little one, and I use it as such- still have to keep the noise down, but affords some degree of privacy. The one I have now has a side to side bed- some call it a "rare Hollywood bed" but they're actually plentiful in rear double bed trailers. I've seen FC's with the bed this way and also front to rear- along one side. The early 60's started having a mixture of characteristics between Safari's and FC's, so make sure its got the older style layout.

Also- in better quality but without a bathroom, is a Spartan Manor- 25' and very easy to pull. I'd say the easiest pulling trailer of its size.

Good luck with whatever you decide to take!
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
early 70's 23' safaris have this config; next smaller size was a 21' globe trotter, which did not.

Mine works well with a 3-year-old; we removed one of the twin bunk mattresses, and the platform below is just the right size for his "pack-n-play". he's getting too big for that now, as he's very tall for his age, so I just put the mattress back in. next trip, its the "big boy bed". which should be interesting, because he's still in a crib at home, and has no desire to change that. So we'll see.

Camping w/ small children is always interesting. They change so fast, its like having a different person with you on each outing. What used to be a hazzard, isn't anymore; what wasn't a hazzard before, is now.

tip: sticky tambour doors that everyone hates: makes for good baby-proofing....
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Had a look at the spartan, fantastic but more than I can take on away from home. Need somthing immediately workable, will have a look at the FC.
If any one sees a resonable 70's Safari 23' would be glad if they could let me know.
Thanks for your help.
Tom
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
seperate sleeping areas

we first bought a 72 globe trotter and decided the one room configuration was not ideal. actually it was the 6 yo daughter that noted how she missed the curtain partition we had in our class A MH. we also have a 3 yo son.

so we stumlbed on a 70 safari that had a rear-side bath. the layout is really great for us and seems very spacious. and we have a privacy curtain.... which we don't actually use.

will post pics soon as I get the new upholstery in.

paul
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Think about the weight also-

You'll save a 1000lbs or so if you go with a 1950's FC as opposed to a 70's Safari. Plus the trailer is made with better quality materials- no presswood and tambour door fronts. That'll probably start a fight here, but its my honest opinion, and yes, I've had both.

You can also take a 22' to 25' Airstream or Spartan and gut and restore to your needs if you have the ability or finances. There are some decent shops working for very fair prices- also some that are taking deposits and not doing any work- so be diligent...

Good luck, and camping with a couple kids is the best way to spend time with them- away from TV and distractions that home tends to have. Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hi Paul
What is a rear side bath? I have not come across this.

Thanks everyone for your help, will check out other suggestions.
Tom
Old 05-14-2006, 03:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1969 Caravel & Rear side bath-

Rear side bath would be where the bathroom is to the rear and situated on 1 side and run long, rather than across. I saw a FC like that and also have one with the bed totally sideways going across.

There is also, if my memory is correct, a 1969 Caravel layout, that has a rear side bath and the bed adjacent. Its going to be tight, at 17' you don't have a lot of room to divide and isolate noise etc.

I'm in tune with this issue, as I really want my daughter to get her sleep and not be interrupted. I'd think seriously about the Flying Cloud with the closet and bath doors that open up and connect, and you can improve on that by applying "sound foam" like they use in recording studios- or any convoluted foam that will absorb- to the inside of the doors, and have some loose pieces to stuff in the bottom and top where they cross but don't fill all the gaps.

Good luck, and now you start understanding where customizing trailers has its definite place in our world- satisying our little ones needs...
Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Good luck great advice here!

Camping with kids is lots of fun!

You know, I'm sure you'd think of it, but if you find one with the gaucho option it can work too. We leave our gaucho in the up position, slide a portable kid bed rail (safety first) under the gap between the mattress and the frame, and it works great. So he has the back of the gaucho behind him and the rail before him no rolling out of bed. I can understand why you would want to find a dedicated sleeping area. Good luck with your search its part of the fun...this is the right place for advice...
Just to share...
Our little guy (now 4 camping since baby days) sleeps pretty well when we are camping without the dedicated bedroom, because he is just plain worn out from all the fun and activity.