Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2023, 09:54 AM   #301
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
US Military aircraft and picture stories

I remember 65’ 66’, always gulping as they dropped below the flight deck momentarily as F8s & A4s came off the cats loaded with ordinance.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #302
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
BUF!

Beautiful old gals…global vigilance, reach and power..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
I was in the Air Force 1960 to 1964. Station at Clinton Sherman AFB OK in the second Air Force 4123th heavy bombardment. B52 E model. Flew in Operation Crome Dome. Just think the last B-52 was made in 1964 it now 2021 that’s almost 57 years of flying the grandkids if the first guys are now working and flying them. [ATTACH]
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:09 PM   #303
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
One year half way through our winter stop-over at San Diego, CA we had to leave early because of mud slides near by.

We called the RV park at the Naval Air Facility, El Centro, CA - winter home for the Blue Angles demonstration team - and much to our surprise they had a FHU overflow site available. It had been raining there and some of the snow birds left early; seeking dryer pastures.
The F-4 is actually a USMC RF-4B with a replacement nose. I was working the flight deck on the USS Midway when it crashed on the deck with a nose gear malfunction.
Stonerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:48 PM   #304
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The last bomber lost in Europe, Germany, April ‘45, Richard Farrington crew, B-24 Liberator.
466th Bomb Group, Based at Attlebridge, East Anglia/Norwich
My Dad, flight engineer/top-turret gunner in the same bomb group, served with and knew this crew. The US Post Office issued this stamp, illustrating that particular B-24 sixty years after the loss.
Ironically, the nose-art and name of the plane: Black Cat
It came-apart from flak. Only two survived.
A book written by a descendant who discovered his deceased uncle’s diary is “Wings of Morning”, tells the story of the days leading up to the mission and the aftermath, and his search for and discovery of the site, including the German treatment of the wreckage site and crew remains. An excellent read.
Here’s a follow-up: While camping in the Airstream in Colorado Springs I was sitting at the picnic table and saw a man about age 50 walking with his son who was wearing a Boy Scout uniform-shirt. As an “old Scout” I called out to them and said “hello”…which led to a conversation.
The lad went to play with some other kids on the playground …so I offered the “Dad” a beer…which he accepted. His name was Ben Schilling and as we talked the subject came up about visiting England. I told him I’d been there, and enjoyed visiting my Dad’s old air-base “Attlebridge”…and Ben interrupted me….. “Hey, MY Dad was stationed at Attlebridge with the 466th B.G.!”

What chance/coincidence meeting! Good Cheer all around!

THANK YOU GUYS of THE “GREATEST” GENERATION! (We’ve just about lost them all by now. NeXt month I’ll be visiting a flying-club Member who, as an Army Ranger climbed Mount Kehlstein at Berchtesgaden and has given me a photo of him and his platoon sitting on the patio wall of that “Eagles Nest”. I hope to write down for posterity his story of how he talked one of his buddies into pulling a German primary glider with a jeep so he could fly it. (I’ve got a photo of that event.)
He sat in a FW190 cockpit and got it started…but it was low on fuel and he knew it’d be wrong and dangerous to try to fly it…so he ran it up and shut it down.)
A week later his platoon re-traced their steps and upon returning to the same small air-field found OSS had put signs all over the airplanes he’d been sitting in and playing with the previous week….”DO NOT TOUCH - BOOBY-TRAPS”.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:34 PM   #305
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
MCAF El Toro '66-67 VMFA-122

THUNDER ALLY...day & night

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D41D8AB9-ADA2-4E9A-B6B6-B44ABBADEFDE.jpg