Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
Trip Planning and GPS

Next month I retire and my wife and I are hitting the road (we are newbies) in a 2014 Flying Cloud 27FB. I am wondering how important it is to use trip planning software like Good Sam's or RV Trip Wizard. How accurate are they when it comes to low clearance and grade information? Also, we are looking at a Garmin GPS system that reportedly provides low clearance, grade info and weather info. Any suggestions, dear friends?
jimrosemergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
This is the one I got.

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2016/05/gps.html

So far so good. We like it. But when we planned a long trip I did it on my laptop using Google Maps and the Good Sam website for campground recommendations. I then entered the addressed in the Garmin GPS.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We are also retired and have been Airstreaming for 11 years now. We have 1,800 nights and 160,000 miles under our belt. we have traveled all over the lower 48.

We use a Garmin RV760 GPS unit. We have found it very useful in our extensive travels. It is not perfect and has messed us up on several occasions. We have found it very useful when negotiating the lanes on Interstate Highway through major metropolitan areas. We also find it quite useful in calculating distances and driving time. It can also identify campgrounds and other services in the immediate area.

In recent years, we have made it a point to avoid Interstate highways when possible. The Garmin can be set to stay off all expressways. We have had this GPS unit for about 6 years, and have been very satisfied with it.

Good lick in your travels.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Unless you are traveling through Amish country with covered bridges, and you can see them, I doubt you will ever need clearance information.

You can get far more information from a smartphone loaded with Allstays, and Apple maps. The single advantage to Apple maps at this point is yu can request a repeat of the last verbal command. All to often we miss the original command for one reason or another.

Yes for point to point travel a GPS is nice and does not run the phone bill up. If you have any adventure coefficient the principle consideration you want in a GPS is instant route correction as apposed to one that tries to get you back on route.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Unless you are traveling through Amish country with covered bridges, and you can see them, I doubt you will ever need clearance information.

You can get far more information from a smartphone loaded with Allstays, and Apple maps. The single advantage to Apple maps at this point is yu can request a repeat of the last verbal command. All to often we miss the original command for one reason or another.

Yes for point to point travel a GPS is nice and does not run the phone bill up. If you have any adventure coefficient the principle consideration you want in a GPS is instant route correction as apposed to one that tries to get you back on route.
Howie, thanks for the tip. Have you got any recommendations for particular makes/models? and price vs feature?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
We use a combination of a free app called RV Parks and Campgrounds as well as a 2013 version (the last one available) of MS Streets and trips, and a Garmin voice activated GPS unit. We first think of the places we want to visit, then plot out a course on MS Streets, then use RV Parks to locate places to stop overnight or for an extended stay. We are also Escapees, so we include their app to find SKP parks near where we want to go. Each day that we travel we send our destination via voice to our Garmin GPS. As mentioned previously, you can set the Garmin to avoid Interstates, toll roads, etc., so you can choose your route. Maybe we are old fashioned, (we are), we also carry a road atlas to use as well. This combination has taken us to all 49 states without much problems and only getting lost when we want to.

Good luck!!
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As for recommendations on a GPS that is a tall order. There are so many variables and so many different requirements by individual users. I would suggest you write down what you think you will want and call Garmin and ask them to walk you through those that will meet your needs. Garmin as well as being the leader in equipment has excellent phone support and they will discuss it with you in detail.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I use my RAM navigation in conjunction with two apps on my iPhone; Allstays and Rest Stops.
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We like the Garmin products, but prefer the OEM navigation systems. They are not all perfect, but newer ones help considerably. Not having to deal with another stand alone product is an advantage.

The exception is the "phone play" capability that is available on some vehicles. No navigation upgrade cost and one unit familiarity is a learning curve plus.

What is more important to your question is - grade, overhead clearance ... etc. The grade info is available in the Mountain Directory books. Good resource. Now, overhead clearance ..... that's a problem mostly when traveling the unknown. Box delivery trucks have higher clearance problems than you. Consequently, there are really not many places of concern. Railroad under crossings should be added to Howie's list. Brother had to dodge one in the NW and we know of at least one in Oklahoma, just off I35. We are a bit concerned about trees. So good eyes are a plus with which no planning tool can compete.

Planning - personally believe that several tools help. The latest version of a catalog may be more current than a website, because they are not always updated. The satellite image of the campground identifies location with respect to railroad tracks and highways. Personal recommendations help with analysis of quiet and flavor. Recent reviews can provide pricing where catalogs may not. The AAA books help with everything from rating to state regulation. The Google street view images also can give you insight on what is ahead. Our first Canada crossing was easier for it and the way home was challenging for not taking the effort. We find a planning book with several vetted alternatives helps us adjust to our changing schedule and circumstances .... like that train wreck on the Columbia last year!

Keep on smiling. Do not yield to distracted driving. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
All the cell phone navigation sounds great. We frequent remote areas where the is no cell signal. Phone navigation does not work in these areas. In these areas, you have nothing without a GPS.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
All the cell phone navigation sounds great. We frequent remote areas where the is no cell signal. Phone navigation does not work in these areas. In these areas, you have nothing without a GPS.

Brian
There are still paper maps, which I've always liked referencing just for fun. I just got the latest Rand McNally road atlas for the US and Canada and it's also fun planning and looking at your routes on those maps. It fits nicely in the pocket behind the front seats, and it was only about $8. Kind of retro, and haven't had one for years.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
GPS and route planning

I have been using the Garmin RV760 for a couple of years and find it works well while on the road. It is very adequate regarding low clearance, dirt roads, etc. Nice to be able to search ahead for gas, food, even rest areas while you drive. It has good campground and other travel specific info built in. However for planning on my laptop I use MyScenicDrives.com. You can plan your entire trip including overnight stops, tourist places, parks, etc. and then export it directly to the Garmin. This way you do not need to plan then manually enter all of the destinations. It is also very easy to force the route to your preferences. The Garmin and all other GPS units make too many decisions for me. For example I am traveling the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. Every time I tried to plan it the GPS constantly got off the parkway as soon as possible, not to Freeways but other non-parkway roads. With MyScenic Drives I was able to keep it on the parkway. I travel backroads all over the country and want to be able to pick my own route, not use the one the GPS tells me is shortest (I don't care) or quickest (I also don't care). I want to plot the one that is most interesting to me. There is no GPS for that yet. I also use AllStays, Campsite Photos.com and other planning tools when I feel I need to make reservations, etc.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We travel with the Delorme Gazetteers for most of the western states and New England. These are indispensable for use on Forest Service Roads and navigating very remote areas.

We have found that, on occasion, the Garmin has some road detail that the Gazeteers do not.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Patty hates when I say this but she really qualifies for a Black Belt in lPad navigation . She uses Google maps to follow along and make course changes, Allstays to plan stops (

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
...continued. (See who uses the iPad less)
She has Waze running on the iPhone mounted on the dash near the driver announcing road hazards AND showing the distance to and direction of next turn.
A NEW TO US Resource is MAPS.ME This fully detailed map runs without data in areas where coverage is Zilch ( like yesterday on the loop road off the Tamami trail in the middle of the glades) maps are downloaded before you lose coverage . We used it all over Canada and felt it the equal of Google maps Patty is a little irritated with the syrupy southern drawl of the voice, but that sounds like a personal problem that could be resolved with another download. Try it as a backup.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Navigation recomendations

We also use the Garmin 760 for past 8 years. I have a built in Navigation with my Platinum F150, and find the Garmin helps "correct" when it fibs a bit on the correct rout to take...they argue from time to time, also, but end points typically are correct. We also have new maps with us for every state from AAA just to confirm our sanity and trust is not being misled by the GPS! More than one time, we have argued about which device was right...(notice I said device...not wife!)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
I'm quite surprised with the several mentions of the Garmin RV760, but no mention of the BaseCamp mapping software that accompanies it. I've used BaseCamp (and MapSource before that) for years. You not only plan your route (in RV mode if you wish) but you can build an actual itinerary complete with travel times and distance. I've found no limit to the number of waypoints you can include in a route and I like that you can paste web addresses into the file that include points of interest along your route. I just have to remember to switch out of RV mode sometimes. BaceCamp and Garmin are rather conservative in RV mode. They won't take you up the Blueridge Parkway unless you plan your route in auto "Driving" mode.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Me, too, FL Crackers. I always pre-plan using BaseCamp and I have also learned the RV quirk when taking lesser roads. I keep the program on my laptop as well so that while we are on the road and decide, overnight, to change something, I can easily make the change and read it in to my 760. I am very pleased with the Garmin technology.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you can wait a few weeks, Garmin is introducing the Garmin 770 LMT. It's got a 7" screen and can be configured for the size of your vehicle. (Low bridges).
BTW did you know about half the states ban attaching anything to your windshield? I didn't. I put mine in the upper left corner and I can see under it. Unless something is going to fall from a tree, I can't see it's a problem, and I can reach it with my seat belt fastened.

BTW, LMT means free "Lifetime maps and traffic". Paying for a map update is nuts.
Now if Garmin could get the voice to stop mispronouncing every street name.
Here we have a street named Boulevard. Part of it is North Boulevard. Garmin thinks the street name is North and it's a boulevard.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
You're The Best

Thanks everyone for your input. We are on our way. It is nice to know the Airstream family is always willing to help.

Soon to be on the road...Jim and Nancy
jimrosemergy is offline   Reply With Quote