Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #1

Orange , California
Tow vehicle for Flying Cloud 25’

Hello,
I am new to trailering and recently purchased a used 25’ Flying Cloud. I’m looking for a tow vehicle and am wondering if I need to get a 3/4 ton (250/2500) truck, or if a 1/2 ton (150/1500) will suffice. Seems that a 1/2 ton truck could do the job, but concerned that we would be too close to the towing and max cargo weight limits, which of course could impact mileage, wear and tear, etc. Would be open to any advice or observations.
Thanks in advance!
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
The answer is: it depends. Some 1/2 ton trucks can adequately do the job. Some can’t do the job. It really depends on the truck and the specs for that specific truck. A 3/4 ton truck could do the job without an issue. My choice for a 25 footer would be a 3/4 ton.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
As Dennis said, some 1/2 tons will be fine. But as he also said, I also would get a 3/4 ton and not worry about being overweight, bogged down in the mountains and whatnot.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Hello,
I am new to trailering and recently purchased a used 25’ Flying Cloud. I’m looking for a tow vehicle and am wondering if I need to get a 3/4 ton (250/2500) truck, or if a 1/2 ton (150/1500) will suffice. Seems that a 1/2 ton truck could do the job, but concerned that we would be too close to the towing and max cargo weight limits, which of course could impact mileage, wear and tear, etc. Would be open to any advice or observations.
Thanks in advance!
Do you have a specific 1/2 ton truck in mind?

If not, as per the above good posts, a 3/4 ton truck will work, almost certainly.

To expand a bit on the ‘it depends’ part for the 1/2 ton: If you opt for a smaller truck, you’ll need to do some work.

First You’ll need to add up your cargo: this is the occupants (adults, kids, pets), plus your truck cargo (bbqs, bikes, tools, etc.), plus the tongue weight of your trailer. (Beware: some owners report Airstream factory provided TW values are underestimated, so a 25FB spec might read 800 lb but actually will be around 900.)

Once you know how much payload you need, you can go look at 1/2 ton trucks to see if they’ll work for you. You’ll find this on the payload sticker usually put on the drivers door post.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
A very good question and one that is going to illicit a lot of response. I tow my 25FB with a Tundra and have over 58K miles towing. We live in the Pacific Northwest and have covered most routes in and out of Canada, across the highline into Wisconsin and back. Also driven through Yellowstone into the south down to Albuquerque and back through California. I have never "bogged" down on the hills and get mileage in the 11 to 14 mpg range.

That said, weight is an issue based on how much you load into your trailer and how much "stuff" you take with you. It is just the wife and I and we are small people. On the long trips we carry the generator and the usual chairs, small BBQ and a little firewood too. I have weighed things a few times when fully loaded and have stayed withing the limits. If you like to travel with lots of extras, a half ton might be an issue. Also, a 25FB has a pretty large tongue weight. Two full propane tanks and two house batteries, and a spare are all on the tongue. Like mentioned above, there are half tons and then there are half tons. Make sure you get a sturdy one and a good hitch with WD and SC built in.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Speaking only for myself, I've towed a 25' Flying Cloud with a 1/2 ton and a 25' Globetrotter with a 3/4 ton. I much prefer towing this size trailer with a 3/4 ton. No worries about payload and, for me, the overall towing experience is superior.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Western , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
The answer is: it depends. Some 1/2 ton trucks can adequately do the job. Some can’t do the job. It really depends on the truck and the specs for that specific truck. A 3/4 ton truck could do the job without an issue. My choice for a 25 footer would be a 3/4 ton.

Wholeheartedly agree. Tried both and much prefer the 3/4 ton.
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:10 PM   #8
Lil Al

2007 23' Safari SE
EVANS , GA
Agree with aftermath's post about the Tundra. Although I wouldn't do it with the new V6 cylinder twin turbo version of the Tundra. If using a 19-21 Tundra, I would have the aftermarket transmission cooler installed, or your trans temps will be well above 250 degrees. Years prior to '19 came with a factory installed trans cooler. I would also opt for a version with 38 gallon fuel tank, as the 25 gallon tank will cripple range when towing.

I am partial to '18 Tundra when it comes to towing as I own one. It is the last year with the factory installed trans cooler and the first year "Toyota Safety Suite" = blind spot monitor, adaptive cruise, rear cross traffic alert. And it comes with a 38 gallon fuel tank.

With the 25' Airstream, the best new offering that could do it well is a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel with 3.92 rear axle and 33 gallon fuel tank. Great design for what you need in a half ton.

The Titan XD is probably ideally designed for this setup from a towing capacity, but it only has a 26 gallon fuel tank, so it really limits range.

There are no Ford or GM offerings in the half-ton segment that would make me comfortable.

F150s are too light (IMHO) for the tow vehicle to control a 25' Airstream in a strong cross wind or down steep grades. The 5.0L engine only comes with a 25 gallon tank. The Ecoboost, is going to get about 6-7 mpgs towing that load on the highway and those turbos are going to be hot.

Despite loving the Baby Duramax 3.0L GM, it only comes with a 24 gallon fuel tank. Again not a bad choice except 24 gallons is miniscule even in diesel.

Bottom line, there are no new half ton offerings designed to tow your Airstream without compromise other than the RAM 1500 Ecodiesel with 3.92 rear end and 33 gallon fuel tank, or the Titan XD if you don't mind stopping for fuel every 3 hours.

If you are in the used market, a 2nd generation Tundra with the 38 gallon fuel tank and auxiliary trans cooler (only available '16-18') could also be considered.

Any 3/4 or 1 ton will handle that load without. any difficulty
Edward Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. Tried both and much prefer the 3/4 ton.
Same for me. Lots of other threads on this topic, you can spend hours (even days) scanning prior dialogues. There is no one answer that serves all cases or people, but as the others have said, I have towed my 25' with both and there is no question the 3/4 ton truck is more stable, secure, and has more payload available (and its ride quality is a bit more harsh than a 1/2 ton). I vote 3/4 ton is the right choice for any recent airstream, 25' or above.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
To answer your question succinctly, you do not need a 3/4 ton truck. A 1/2 ton truck will suffice as well as a number of SUVs. The key is a proper set up. Payload is a factor to consider, but there are a number of other variables at play (suspension, aerodynamics, tires, centre of gravity, braking power.) Many members on this forum are of the view that a 3/4 ton truck is not necessarily the best option for an AS 25’ or longer, but just as many feel the opposite way!
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Sherline for your actual tongue weight and then check the yellow sticker on the door of potential TV to make sure that the cargo limit is not exceeded.
We have tried 1/2 for our 25 FB and really prefer the 3/4 for many reasons enumerated ad nauseum all over this site.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
The biggest issue with half ton trucks is payload. Some half tons have a payload rating well above 2,000 lbs, making them good candidates to tow a 25 foot Airstream. These half tons are typically equipped with the max tow and max payload packages. Some half tons have a payload rating around 1,200 lbs. or less. These trucks are inadequate for a 25 foot Airstream. The “half ton” designation encompasses a very wide range of capabilities.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a 1/2 ton (F150 XLT with 3.5 (Ecoboost) that pulls a 28’ just fine. Payload about 1700lbs.

But it depends upon how much you tow, how long your are out, and where you tow.

Rule of thumb the more you tow and the length you are out on the road means you will need more payload capacity. You will just bring more stuff. Thus a gas 3/4 ton is your friend.

If you don’t tow that much, and you aren’t out for long stretches, then a 1/2 ton will work fine if you aren’t going to bring a bunch of heavy stuff with you.

We are in the latter camp. My wife and i travel light, tend to stay within a day’s driving distance, and aren’t out for more than 5 days at a stretch.

The 1/2 ton then works great as a daily driver.

By the way if you have a 3/4 ton will it fit into your garage? Just a heads up to check.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We have a 2017 25FB and towed about 30K mile using a 2018 F150 4x4 3.5L ecoboost with payload of 1560lbs. Worked well even in the mountains and always felts safe but we were definitely over max GVWR by about 300lbs when towing with all our gear. We frequent the mountains and after only 22K miles the brakes were gone. We upgraded to an F250 Diesel in January and the difference in downhill braking is huge and it is nice not having to worry about how much stuff we are taking. Mileage towing with our 2018 F150 was typical 9-10 MPG and with our 2022 F250 Diesel it is typical about 12 MPG so far (only 4k miles on it). Bottom line is I believe either will work but if you need 4x4, take toys like bikes and kayaks, and frequent the mountains I would definitely recommend going 3/4 ton.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I love my half-ton, with my FB20. If I went up to a dual-axle, a 25' or longer, I'd swap my 1500 for a 2500. I would want the extra payload capacity that it'd offer. IMHO, FWIW...
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Being a half ton fan, I will always step in and offer up my support to anyone asking about the 1/2 vs 3/4 choice. All that said, let me go on record saying that a larger truck would always be a better choice. A one ton diesel is by far a better TV than my Tundra. Way back, when we got into trailer towing, I had to use the truck as a daily commuter. Half tons at that time made more sense for me. I am on my second Tundra now mainly because my first gave me 80K miles with absolutely no issues. I only traded for the toots and whistles they upgraded.
When it comes to stopping, unless you have a diesel, I see very little difference between the half and three quarter ton. When the brakes are PROPERLY adjusted, the truck brakes stop the truck and the trailer brakes stop the trailer. At 80K miles the Tundra has its original pads. Just had the brakes on the Airstream inspected and they are over 50% left after 58K miles. The brakes on a Tundra are quite robust compared to many other entry level half tons on the market.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
With gas and diesel prices the way they are a half ton will be lighter on the wallet, especially when not towing.

Nonetheless, the OP should clarify a few things like passenger load, quantity and weight of stuff they must carry, expected duration and distance of a typical trip, and whether the tow vehicle will also be a daily driver or just used to tow the trailer.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Our family is different than may Airstreamers, in that we don't buy new vehicles, except for my wife's car :-). My daily driver and the towing vehicle for our 30' Airstream, our utility trailer and our horse trailer is a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500' with the 5.9 Cummins.

New aftermarket intercooler, injectors, fuel rail, fuel lift pump, fuel injection pump, air induction, exhaust system, transmission cooler, radiator, and fully rebuilt transmission (with oversize torque convertor and valve body) means...

* Addition HP and torque.
* 19 - 20 mpg (without Airstream) local driving.
* 24 mpg (without Airstream) on highway.
* 16-18 mpg with (Airstream trailer, even going up and over the top of the Sierras near where we live.

An all new leather interior and leather wrapped steering wheel keep travelers comfortable and happy.

These changes to an already clean truck have given us the power and stability necessary for this to be a GREAT 3/4 Ton diesel towing vehicle. If we could just change back fuel prices by switching out the dream teams in Washington and Sacramento (we live in California) to return fuel costs back down to where they can be, our approach would be even more beneficial.

Refurbishing a solid used 3/4 Ton truck may be old school , but there are some real advantages. Definitely not the only answer though...
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Dennis said it all. I have an F150 towing a 25' international. It tows great but I am always at my cargo weight limit with very little capacity to bring what I want on trips. I'm moving up to an F250 and look forward to getting up in the mountains out west. If you can't find a larger truck and need something fast then go with a 1/2 ton without the moon roof or anything else that adds weight to the truck. Be mindful, the less options the more cargo weight capacity you'l have. The longer bed will give you more cargo capacity as well.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
3/4 ton it is

We have a 25' Classic and recently finally received our new 3/4 ton GMC Duramax. We have a fairly steep grade just outside of town. It was always a good pull with the 1/2 ton 5.3liter GMC. With the new truck it was "What trailer?". I could hardly believe the difference. Also think of all the weight you have combined between the trailer and tow vehicle. That takes a lot of braking power. The exhaust brake on the new truck is awesome! My vote is for the 3/4 ton for sure. Good luck!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote