Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Stability in high winds

Hi all,

We just got back from the Bruce Peninsula, an awsome place in Ontario, situated between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.

Awesome weather too... for our second night, the winds were forecast to be 60km/hr with 100km gusts. We took a long look at our high, kinda narrow little Bambi and decided to hightail it down the coast, where significantly gentler winds were predicted.

Wrong - the winds that night were just as high in our new spot as they would have been in our old. In fact, the whole eastern Huron coast got belted. Toasty took the wind without a shudder, albeit tucked into a site sheltered on all sides by 30-foot white cedars.

I'm now thinking we bailed for no good reason, but still have the question - what exactly IS the max safe windspeed for an AS sitting still? Can we happily ride out anything short of a hurricane, or were we wise to seek safer terrain?

Thanks,
Jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hi Jon,

This summer our previous AS (05 30' Safari) withstood 80-100 mph winds. It was positioned into the wind (W). I am glad that we were not in it at the time. However, I think it would been ok since it road it out without any damage. (Hindsight is always better than forsight.) The campground is very open, nothing to stop the wind. Unfortunately, a SOB was hit broadside by the wind which moved it to the side 5 feet and buckled the stabilizers. Our full-sized grill and 4 stacked heavy chairs were over turned. Awnings were ripped off. There was even an awning that was rolled up and locked against a fifth wheel that was ripped off. According to campground personnel it appeared to more like straight line winds. All I know is I'm glad I wasn't there.

Aerodynamics are wonderful whether it is going down the road or standing still.

Mrs. Towdaddy
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Great thread I to have wondered about wind, we rode out a storm a few months ago and I was so worried as my son and husband watched tv thru the whole thing I kept asking my husband think we should hook it back up to the truck. What are some safety tips and how much wind can we handle?
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Wow glad you made it through ok

Hey now Jon,
didn't Gordon Lightfoot write a song about the gales of November coming early? Lake Huron is lovely, hope your trip overall was fun.

Say where did you all camp--a Provincial Park or private? Care to mention any? Sounds like you had a great trip, we've got to get out that way with our kayaks. Next summer I hope!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Good thread

This thread got me thinking.....what if we were stuck somewhere and a big storm was on its way? Hummmmm. Since we tow our Airstreams at 50 to 65 MPH (some do 75MPH), it would seem safest in strong winds to keep the tow vehicle connected to the AS and head both into the wind while parked. This would be true especially if your TV was a 3/4 ton truck or something of substantial size. Not only would this combined weight give you more stability, this would also allow you to move quickly if lets say a tree or buiding was looking as though it was loosing the battle with the storm and you were in the path.

Just a thought...does anyone out there have any experience with severe storm conditions and trying to keep your AS safe during a trip? Any suggestions?

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Just a thought...does anyone out there have any experience with severe storm conditions and trying to keep your AS safe during a trip? Any suggestions?

John
The voice of experience says:
1- don't park under large trees, smaller ones may help screen you from hail.
2- don't park in low-lying areas, they will flood during heavy rain.
3-if the weather goes South while you are in your coach, DO NOT try to go out and move the trailer, you could be seriously injured by flying debris, and having the trailer unsecured will make it more susceptible to wind action.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
For sure, the Bruce is a great spot. We may decide to head up that way this weekend. The forecast looks promising, highs of 42F for Sat and Sunday.

About a 5 weeks ago we too weathered a nasty wind storm at Lake of two rivers in Algonquin PP in Ontario. Rained hard all night and at 5AM the wind started. The big pine were droping all around us but the bullet hardly jiggled. Felt sorry for the tenters and Pop up campers. We didn't get hit bit our Airstream buddies picked up a dent on their 25 and a big high end motorhome got hit with a tree. No one got hurt.

There always seems to be a wind blowing in Ontario, That's one of the reasons we tow an Airstream. When the big 5ers pull over we keep on movin. Not a problem.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hi all,

Just resurrecting this thread one time to see if there are any more data points out there.

Anyone camped in a high wind? Have some inside dope from AS on the engineering?

Thanx,
jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote