Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Professional RV driving / safety class

We spent 8 hours last week (two 4-hour days) getting professionally trained on backing, parking and more safely towing our Airstream. We used our own equipment for the class, which was really great. We also trained as a couple, which helped radically improve our communications while parking and made it possible for both of us to either sit in the cab or direct from outside while parking, and in a pinch, to do it alone.

FYI, we've owned our Airstream for 2.5 years and have towed over 13K miles, but still learned a ton.

Best RV money we ever spent! We highly recommend this course, especially for folks who, like us, had never towed before owning an Airstream.

Our trainer was incredibly patient and helpful, and now we can back into pretty much anything - even blind-side or a curved parking spot.

Many of the key things we learned are completely counter-intuitive, and we would not have picked them up on our own. He also made us practice uncomfortable scenarios that we would not have attempted on our own, even if we found a big empty parking lot and set out some cones.

We contacted several CDL schools to locate one that offered an RV course. Here's where we got our lessons, and we're super-happy with the one we chose: http://cdstruckschool.com/

We found a list of CDL schools via our state's Department of Licensing (DOL) site: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense...edschools.html so perhaps you can find the same initial reference point for your state, which would then help you find a CDL school near you that offers similar training.

(No, we're not affiliated in any way with this particular CDL school or the WA DOL. )

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Kudos! As you know - my wife and I did the same the first weekend we had our trailer. I should probably go back again and see how different it is to go after having some experience on the road!

This is probably the #1 recommendation I make to anyone who asks "what should I get for my trailer"? 😀

By the way, I know I've told this story before but in our class, one of the exercises was to parallel park the trailer. DW nailed it first try. 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Another great source for RV knowledge, driving, and support services is www.escapees.com. First timers to any RV style can benefit from the Boot Camp they offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
That is a very good idea and suggestion.

Thank you.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote