Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
WBCCI #19997

2021 22' Caravel
Oreland , Pennsylvania
One week to cross country

We are entering our final week of preparation for our 21 day cross country and back adventure. Leaving from Oreland, PA, ending in Bear Valley, CA. I think I've covered everything, but what are some things I may have overlooked? Any tips or tricks?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
215Airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not normally but this year I would consider reservations for each nights stay. That lets me drive a little later into the day and covers ground quicker with less stress about a place to stop. In a normal year I make the reservations same day but now I would be doing them more ahead than that. It is a fun trip. Enjoy.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215Airhaus View Post
We are entering our final week of preparation for our 21 day cross country and back adventure. Leaving from Oreland, PA, ending in Bear Valley, CA. I think I've covered everything, but what are some things I may have overlooked? Any tips or tricks?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
I was curious how many miles are you planning on traveling per day? Do you have reservations or where will you spend the nights? Do you have a TPMS?

Sounds like a great trip. Wishing you the best and be safe!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #4
WBCCI #19997

2021 22' Caravel
Oreland , Pennsylvania
So I feel good about a couple things. First, we have made reservations already at a few RV parks, and then we have calls in to a couple of Harvest Hosts as well letting them know we will be stopping in for the night.

Second, I have installed a TPMS on the trailer's wheels after seeing how tire pressure and temp are co critical when in the desert.

The days look to be around 8 hours of driving per day for the first couple, and then things slow down since we are stopping in to see family in KS and then again in CA. Kind of meandering on the way back, but we wanted to boondock as much as possible on the return trip.
215Airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215Airhaus View Post
So I feel good about a couple things. First, we have made reservations already at a few RV parks, and then we have calls in to a couple of Harvest Hosts as well letting them know we will be stopping in for the night.

Second, I have installed a TPMS on the trailer's wheels after seeing how tire pressure and temp are co critical when in the desert.

The days look to be around 8 hours of driving per day for the first couple, and then things slow down since we are stopping in to see family in KS and then again in CA. Kind of meandering on the way back, but we wanted to boondock as much as possible on the return trip.
And there is also the option for guest parking for Airstream Club members. That would be great for meandering!

Be safe and enjoy!
Old 04-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
I love Bear Valley

Sounds like a fun trip.

Bear Valley is a great place. We had a home there until just recently for almost 20 years.

Have you been there before? I assume you know about the weather/snow/closed roads thru the Sierra. If not, make sure that your chosen route is open this time of year.

Be safe. Enjoy the trip.

-Kaylor
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
Depending on your route, always carry a weather radio. You just never know and also know what county your in will help IDing weather info.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We've had the joy of doing this a couple of times. Our best learning point would be, don't, whenever possible, have hard, absolute, non-flexible time dead lines. Weather, 'issues', fun things you didn't expect, a side trip, etc. are all part of the adventure, enjoy and post updates.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Parking

Most of bigger chain truck stops have a parking area for RVs. You could park with the big trucks but it’s gonna be noisy. Truck stops are about the safest place to overnight while on the move. You can download an app called “Truckerpath” which will link right to google maps and it has all sorts of info.

Motor On!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #10

2021 28' Flying Cloud
GILROY , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
And there is also the option for guest parking for Airstream Club members. That would be great for meandering!

Be safe and enjoy!
LadyGadiva: Hi! Great info here. We're new to Airstream club and leaving in a week for a 5 month trip. Where might I find the list of the Airstream Club hosts for quick overnight stays?
LadyGadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
While the weather has been dry for a month, there is a new system moving into CA at the end of this week. Keep an eye out and track the conditions as you approach. May all be over by the time you get here.

Sounds like you have a good plan in the can. An 8 hour day gets you about 400 miles and that's about right. Seven days of travel gives you 2800 miles. Your trip looks to be about 2600 miles and using I80 is reasonably direct. Depending on where you visit in KS, the distance is not far off track.

Wind is troublesome in Kansas/Nebraska. Plan on driving a bit slower. Get on the road early and make miles before the wind builds. You will find wind other places, but not as bad unless there is major weather moving through.

Tornado weather builds as the Spring takes hold. Here is a frequency chart by month to review. Just part of the weather to watch. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/permonth_by_state/

Suggest you indicate your general route and folks may be able to provide some interesting places to consider. Since you have reservations in place, that may only help on the return trip.

Good Luck --- Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGadiva View Post
LadyGadiva: Hi! Great info here. We're new to Airstream club and leaving in a week for a 5 month trip. Where might I find the list of the Airstream Club hosts for quick overnight stays?
Log into your account at the airstream.org website. On the page after sign in you will see Courtesy Parking. Click on it and you can search by multiple methods to find other AS'ers that will offer places to park.

I hope it works out for you!

Travel safe!