Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2022, 05:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
New Bedford , Massachusetts
No room in the Inn

Hello Airstream friends, I am an artist accepted into the May 28th show in Westport CT and I thought we could stay in our airstream at an area RV park. Well I have run into trouble. The closest ones to Westport CT are an hour away and are all full up! "No room in the Inn" I am reaching out to anyone from that area that might have suggestions on safe State park or open to any suggestions. This is a two day show and we live on Cape Cod about 3 hours away. Too far to commute. We are able to boondock. We have an Airstream sprinter, 22ft. Help please and Thank You!
Barb Leger
bleger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Are you a member of the Airstream Club? If so, check the courtesy parking directory to see if someone is near to where you need to be.

Or, try Boondockers Welcome, which is now part of Harvest Host.

Two alternatives if you can't find something in a traditional campground.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Considering that’s Memorial Day weekend, limited availability is no surprise.

If you have Harvest Host, Bishop’s Orchards is near by. We have stayed with them before and they were excellent. Not sure if they would support multiple night stays (if you need that) but would be worth a look.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleger123 View Post
Hello Airstream friends, I am an artist accepted into the May 28th show in Westport CT and I thought we could stay in our airstream at an area RV park.
Barb Leger

Congratulations on getting in the show Barb! Looked at your website and you are rocking it! If it were me, I would contact the venue and ask if I could just stay parked there. Emphasize you will just look like and functionally just be someone sleeping in their van. Good luck at the competition/show.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Congratulations on getting in the show Barb! Looked at your website and you are rocking it! If it were me, I would contact the venue and ask if I could just stay parked there. Emphasize you will just look like and functionally just be someone sleeping in their van. Good luck at the competition/show.
Not a bad idea, unfortunately some large show venues are not in great neighborhoods (no idea about this one).

You could also check into places that allow overnight parking, such as some Walmart's, Cracker Barrel, rest areas(only in some states), or truck service areas like Flying J, also unfortunately some not in great neighborhoods. Check with manager first.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
This is an excellent idea, and there will surely be some basic security/a reasonably secure area as vendors usually don’t pack everything up and store it overnight for these multi-day events.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Kettletown State Park is in Southbury and is never very busy. No services, but a nice place. We have stayed a couple of times visiting family in the area.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:27 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Airstreamers are the best!

Hello Friends, Thank you all for your insight and this morning I found a place to stay Croton Park in Hudson NY. It is an hour out from the show in Westport but it looks nice right on the Hudson. My dog will love it It is nice to know I can always count on the people on this forum to come forth with help and wisdom!
Thank you all
Barb L.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:30 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Thank you Rodney...I am planning to do a painting of the "Silver Bullet"! I have the same quandary as all the travelers..?What beautiful background do I choose..lol?
Have a wonderful day my friend!
Barb L.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Thank you Rodney...I am planning to do a painting of the "Silver Bullet"! I have the same quandary as all the travelers..?What beautiful background do I choose..lol?
Have a wonderful day my friend!
Barb L.

Heard of this, but have no personal experience. Some hotels may allow use of their parking area and facilities for a reduced rate.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:53 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Quote:
Hello Friends, Thank you all for your insight and this morning I found a place to stay Croton Park in Hudson NY. It is an hour out from the show in Westport but it looks nice right on the Hudson. My dog will love it It is nice to know I can always count on the people on this forum to come forth with help and wisdom!
Thank you all
Barb L.
Croton Point Park is very nice.

A few years ago there was a large group of Airstreams there as part of a group traveling through NYS.

I have not camped there, but used to live nearby and it was part of my regular bicycle ride loop.

By the way I do not think there is any such thing as a "bad" area in Westport, CT.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have stayed at motels that also have an adjoining RV park.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote