Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
New Road Trip Planner App

I've found a new Road Trip Planner iPad app with which I'm quite impressed. This one adds numerous features lacking in Google Maps and other apps, such as up to 25 easy to enter waypoints, waypoint optimization, layover and departure times, and graphic displays of elevation, temperature, precipitation and even curviness of the roads. Exports to various formats, including Google maps for navigation. It's nearly everything I want in a planning app. Full version is $3.99.

I'll give it a good workout during our 2100 mile trip from Durango to St Petersburg next week. Hopefully there won't be as much bad weather to dodge as this week.

inRoute - Intelligent Route and Road Trip Planner by Carob Apps, LLC
https://appsto.re/us/ZyX8P.i

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I get confused about apps like this!

Would I be right in thinking that since I only have an iPod touch and an iPad that have no phone connection, that an app like this would only be of any use to me when within wifi reach and so when actually driving, would be no use?

I'm guessing that would be the case, but if I'm wrong that would be great!

Maybe you can download info when on line and then save the route map on the device for use when actually on the road?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Wingeeser you are correct in your thinking. We have same issue, but have a phone where I can create our own "hot spot" while driving and then connect the IPad to the phone through it's WiFi capability. I also connect my Adroid tablet and at times the laptop to this same "Hot Spot". We also use this hotspot in campgrounds as I've set up a VPN for it and that gives us the ability to do banking without having to use a public access wifi connection such as at a campground.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I tested my pad by doing a short trip to gville fl, it was fine on the route, after the route by the time we got to the opposite end of town where the first address was, it decided blank space the area. My best guess would be to put in more than specific address to drive to, maybe a second destination. or a different return route.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
we added a 'hot spot' to our phone plan, $20/mo and use it extensively as campgrounds that advertise wifi usually don't have the capacity to handle 200 travelers all trying to access the internet all at the same time. works great and it supports multiple devices so the two of us can be using it at the same time.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The WiFi only iPad (like mine and my wife's mini) will retain a certain amount of data in 'cache'. For example, if you view an area on a map app while on WiFi, then go off WiFi, it will remember the data for that last area. It will not be able to update or extend that area until you have WiFi again.
We use a Verizon 4G WiFi hotspot (basic plan $20/mo) which can be shared by 5 devices. In the Airstream I just wedge it against a window for better reception.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Many Verizon customers are not aware that there is a free method available for using their cellphone's data plan for connecting to their pads, tablets, or laptop via WiFi or Bluetooth by using the FoxFi app in the store. That method of subsequent device connection is named "tethering."

Verizon employees rarely reveal this method when questioned and continue to upsell the HotSpot feature to uninformed users. However, Verizon agreed not to block third party apps that provide access to the phone's basic data allotment under the customer's plan as part of the rules imposed by the FCC during one of their acquisitions. Verizon paid a $1.25 million fine and removed the software that blocked such use in 2013

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) - CNET
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote