Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Louisville to Jackson Center Route

Does anyone have experience with a good route to Jackson Center from Louisville KY that does not include traveling through Cincinatti, Dayton, or Indianapolis? I have never traveled through Cincinatti and Dayton on the interstate, and I don't want to either. I really hate pulling my AS through large urban areas on narrow lane washboard interstates with maniacs going 80mph.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I know it is not what you want to hear, but from a practical standpoint I would use the interstate and just try for a time of day nwhen the traffic is lighter.

The Indie route would give you much less exposure to heavy traffic as you would only have a short distance from I65 to I70 on the bypass and would pick up I 75 north of Dayton but this would be a longer route.

Actually I would go through Cincy and Dayton. Just watch the signs so you can get in the proper lanes in time.

I am sure a back road route could be put together but I think it would be more hassle than it is worth

I have done both these routes with a trailer many times. If you can overlook the bumpy roads and the fact there are way too many people up there it's not bad
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Personally, from Louisville, I'd go I-65, get off at Columbus, east to Cinci, (us50) then north on 75. 75 is not that evil!

In Fairfield (just north of Cincinnati) a must stop destination is Jungle Jims International Market. Words cannot describe!
www.junglejims.com
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Do that route all the time. No problems. Try and avoid Cinci during morning and evening rush hours. If you have never been to an IKEA store there is one on northern side of Cinci.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I agree with the I65 US 50 East route. That will put you on275 west of Cincinnati and then East on 275/64. By following 275 you will intersect 75,10 miles north of downtown Cincinati. Dayton is not bad as long as you dont go threw in peak traffic hours. Jungle Jims is just north of 275 on RT 4 in Fairfield.
Be advised now that US 50 from I 65 is 2 lane road with several small towns,but you can leter all hang out between them. I used to run that way with a big truck when I was just a little to heavy to go down I 71 form Cincin. GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
I live in the suburbs between Dayton and Cincinnati. I work in Dayton and I tow my Airstream through downtown on I-75. You will not have any problems through Dayton except a little construction. Just take it slow and avoid Cincinnati durin rush hour. The interstate is the best way to go. Good luck.
TROUTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Thank all of you for the great information. I am heading up on Sunday and returning on Tuesday. My appointment at JC is on Monday at 7:00. My start point is in northwest Tennessee. But I am going through Louisville for sure. There is nothing like a bunch of well traveled friends to help you out.

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3
Does anyone have experience with a good route to Jackson Center from Louisville KY that does not include traveling through Cincinatti, Dayton, or Indianapolis? I have never traveled through Cincinatti and Dayton on the interstate, and I don't want to either. I really hate pulling my AS through large urban areas on narrow lane washboard interstates with maniacs going 80mph.

Thanks for any advice.
Your best bet is to get to a computer and Mapquest! The interstate is not a major problem -- I have hit the road to JC from Dallas and from Michigan. Not one problem!! Just stay in the right lanes; get fuel during the day at truck stops, and let the speeders pass on the left! When. At JC, park on their Terraport.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3
Thank all of you for the great information. I am heading up on Sunday and returning on Tuesday. My appointment at JC is on Monday at 7:00. My start point is in northwest Tennessee. But I am going through Louisville for sure. There is nothing like a bunch of well traveled friends to help you out.

Thank you.
By the way! Get there early on Sunday to get a spot on the Terraport -- it's free for those waiting for service! WARNING: Service is good but often S-L-O-W! If you want food there are not many retail options unless you go to Sidney or Troy, OH. Neither is too far south of the factory down I-75.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1966 20' Globetrotter
johnsoncity , Tennessee
Just came down I-75 last week,road was in very good condition. Had no problem coming thru Cincy or Dayton,( was not rush hour traffic.) We were pulling a 66 Globe Trotter. Jackson Center is just seven miles off of I-75,and have very good camping spots. As mentioned before free camping if you are having service, $10 if not having service. If you arrive late the camping is behind the office complex. Full hook-ups.
Have a safe trip. Don
donh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
Your best bet is to get to a computer and Mapquest! The interstate is not a major problem -- I have hit the road to JC from Dallas and from Michigan. Not one problem!! Just stay in the right lanes; get fuel during the day at truck stops, and let the speeders pass on the left! When. At JC, park on their Terraport.
Actually as you approach Cincinatti favor one of the center lanes. You will need to favor the left as you approach the bypass on the KY side (475?) and also will need to favor the left lanes as you cross the bridge over the Ohio river to avoid being sucked off onto I 71.
Generally where there are 4 lanes and city traffic I will favor the second right hand lane to avoid being sucked off into exit only lanes and dealing with merging traffic coming on to the interstate.
If you have a GPS it will usually tell you which lanes you need and also give you some one to argue with,

Sunday should not be a problem except late in the day when everyone who left town for the weekend is coming back.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We went to Alumapalooza at Jackson Center and I was totally against going interstate thru the cities (anxiety remnant from an accident) but we had no trouble at all. I had looked at the options and they really are not as good.
You will be fine, breath and watch the signs, they show the way! You can stay in the "Wheel" RV park at Jackson Center so you will already be there when you have your appt.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Most of my anxiety about the interstate highway through Cincinatti and Dayton stems from my trip on I-65 through Montgomery and Birmingham last week. I witnessed a horrible crash in Montgomery and have bulkhead damage inside my trailer from the extremely rough pavement on I-65 through Birmingham. I have good axles, new tires, centramatics, well balanced running gear, and a properly setup Reese dual cam with 600# bars but none of that seemed to protect my trailer from the rough condition of I-65 through Birmingham.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis

Actually as you approach Cincinatti favor one of the center lanes. You will need to favor the left as you approach the bypass on the KY side (475?) and also will need to favor the left lanes as you cross the bridge over the Ohio river to avoid being sucked off onto I 71.
Generally where there are 4 lanes and city traffic I will favor the second right hand lane to avoid being sucked off into exit only lanes and dealing with merging traffic coming on to the interstate.
If you have a GPS it will usually tell you which lanes you need and also give you some one to argue with,

Sunday should not be a problem except late in the day when everyone who left town for the weekend is coming back.
Rick is right! I forgot about how you need to WATCH that merge lane to I-71!! GPS will be a great aid.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Take the 275 East Outerbelt around Cincinnati - try to do it off rush hour - to 75 North. As you approach the outerbelt in KY you'll pick up a lot of truck traffic for a few miles but once your on the outerbelt it will thin out.

Going through Dayton you'll find is no big deal.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote