Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
Looking for investor to open Airstream only RV Park in Southern California

We’re looking for someone to invest and or build a RV park in Southern California for airstreams only. my wife and I are willing to operate and run the park for you. We would like a park that is very well landscaped, plenty of nice space in between the airstream trailers, privacy. A swimming pool. Vintage feel.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Low cost project... Starting small... Just 1 unit, maybe add more later... Anyone?

JK, good luck

What sort of investment would be required to "own" a single spot in said park?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check with Marcus Lemonis the owner of Camping World. He is always looking for GOOD investments. Be prepared with a professional presentation and a strong case why he should invest in YOUR dream. He expects a strong return on his cash. He recently has been branching out with the purchase of Timberland Tiny Homes the number one builder in the growing industry. You are talking several million dollars and honestly I do not think you are going to find it here and need to rethink your search for funding plans.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

From what I've seen, most AS only parks are pet projects of a WBCI chapter. Management seems to be done by volunteers....

Bob
Old 01-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Investors only want to hear one thing. Return on investment.
It doesn't matter if it's a campground or a potato farm or a lead smelter.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I am sure you know that there are Airstream only parks around the country and there is a reason why you don’t see more of them....money. Lots, and lots of money. Land, zoning, infrastructure all take money. As far as a return on investment, I wouldn’t except much. Airstream is a very tiny portion of the RV industry and not all Airsteamers are going to want to go to S. Cal. But good luck, if you build it I would be happy to drop by for a night or two.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Two Airstream parks that I know of voted to.change over to any brand within the last few years.

Paula
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Looking for an... investor?

There is no better investment for someone with a good or bad idea, to do it on their own.

Mortgage your home or sell it for the investment to proceed. You can live in a trailer while your 'investment' is being built.

Your Cash. Your Sweat Equity. Your Idea. An idea that can change your life to the better... or worse. Then you must have the skill set to operate, hire help and maintain the property. This is a package of experiences one needs to be successful.

Purchase a bankrupt RV Park and put half a million into it.

Those who have profitable RV Parks are not for sale. Those that are for sale discovered that not all ideas are worth pursuing.

I have never invested One Dollar into someone ELSE'S DREAM. If they are too nervous about using their life savings on their own idea... that is already all I need to hear. If your idea fails, and you are working on a cash basis, you will have a large lot to park your trailer.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Hey Shawn….welcome

I saw your other post about wanting a 30 footer with a bunk.

I too, am wanting a 30 footer with a bunk. But I don't have a place to store it. I am looking for someone who could store and take care of the trailer. I only need a trailer a week or two out of the year. Need someone who could tow it once in a while (weather permitting ), to keep the tires from getting a flat spot.
Problem is, I would also need someone to store my tow vehicle, and run it regularly to keep the battery charged. I could pay a reasonably monthly fee, plus expenses.

If you are interested please call me on my cell phone.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Shawn521

I think you are about 40 years too late.

Historically those parks that were dedicated to a single brand of RV were created and maintained by the members of a given unit. As social responsibilities have evolved that level of dedication has faded away and many parks have closed. Those that remain almost all have open the door to owners of other brands as a last ditch effort to remain open.

The newer owners of RVs are not interested in working towards the upkeep of the park but rather see there ownership in the park as an investment without obligation.

In the 60s my father in-law bought into an Airstream park in New York that never got to the point of having their first structure before folding.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
Part two of looking for an investor

A more in depth explanation on what I’m looking for is an investor, not peoples negative opinions please. I’m looking for someone with a passion for this idea who has and loves airstreams, knows & loves how beautiful Southern California weather is and knows how hard it is to find an RV park set up properly for relaxation and total enjoyment.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Gosh, sounds like a wonderful idea. I'm kind of with RandyNH, except, make it two spots.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 01-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

How much of an investment?

You'll need to know the cost of….

1. A Designer/Architect

2. Cost of land….5 or ten acres?

3.Electrical lines and outlets

4.Water lines

5 Sewer lines

6. Excavator

7. Landscape design

8. Roads and pads

9. Laundry facility?

10. ETC.

Then annual overhead….Payroll, insurance, property taxes, etc.

I mean…you can't just ask for a blank check. You will need to know the math.

Please forgive any of the negative comments, but, folks on the forum tend to speak their mind and tell it like it is. The " only respond if you agree with me " thing, doesn't often appear on this particular forum.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Shawn521,

May I suggest a slight change to your request in order to get a better response, something more like what is written below.

"Airstream lovers, my wife and I are looking for additional investors into an Airstream RV Park in southern CA. We currently have (X number of dollars) to invest, plus are willing to run the park and be hands-on investors in the day to day operation of the business. We have (X experience) in campground managemt and maintaince. Over the past several years, we have turned around (X number) of campgrounds to make them profitable and are now ready to take it to the next level. We have already found (X locations) which could be a good fit based on market surveys, cost of land, etc..., etc..., etc...."

Most folks are going for you to put more skin in the game other than just, I want to run your campground in exchange for part ownership.

Enjoy,
Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
You'll need to know the cost of….

1. A Designer/Architect

2. Cost of land….5 or ten acres?

3.Electrical lines and outlets

4.Water lines

5 Sewer lines

6. Excavator

7. Landscape design

8. Roads and pads

9. Laundry facility?

10. ETC.

Then annual overhead….Payroll, insurance, property taxes, etc.

I mean…you can't just ask for a blank check. You will need to know the math.

Please forgive any of the negative comments, but, folks on the forum tend to speak their mind and tell it like it is. The " only respond if you agree with me " thing, doesn't often appear on this particular forum.

I had a similar idea 6 years ago, but it was No. CA based, and it was to be high end and exclusivelyfor Class As and Airstreams. I was going to build in Marin County or Sonoma county. I was going to use my own $$ to fund. Once I did a cash flow analysis, I realized that it was not going to be a high return investment. Costs related to CA property taxes (high), permitting costs, site-maintenance, monthly water and sewer, monthly electicity, monthly nat gas and liability insurance need to be added to the list above.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
Old 01-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Ed, not only finding someone to risk a million or so..

Finding a " nice " place to build it.

Most nice places in California, are inhabited my million dollar homes, with home owners that don't want to live next to a campground.

There is a guy who lived in an RV, in the posters home state of Pennsylvania. He lived on a lady's private land, near her house, right next to the middle of nowhere.

The township evicted him. It seems zoning codes prohibited living in a trailer less than 50 feet long. They also wanted him to have septic and water.

In California..Whoa. There is a place that doesn't allow your porch light to illuminate any part of your neighbors property.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

A quick search found the following:

"My neighbor looked into opening an rv park near annapolis md and with all the rules and regulations it was going to run $ 40,000 per site for roads , utilities and site work , excluding land costs ."

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums...reatment-plant

Someone better have deep pockets

Enjoy,
Old 01-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I just love these 'pie in the sky' solicitations. Any response that questions the 'big plan' of course are... negative and not consistent with the original premise.

Hey Buddie... "do I have a deal for you."

Where is this mythical open area that zoning permits a Trailer / RV Park?

Having a well designed, secured by a gate, employee on site 24 hours... RV and Trailer Storage Park. Maybe... Airstreams only, but you would be broke in no time. There are not enough of Airstream owners, looking for a place to park theirs near a large city. Most mega Trailer Storage lots in Denver, Colorado may have two Airstreams out of hundreds with a nice mountain view thrown if for free.

Accept any kinds of trailers, except House Trailers that someone wants to dump at your storage park and abandon.

This is where the money is to be made. If the lease is written well and a patron does not pay... you put a one ton concrete block in front the the trailer. You could also end up with dozens of wrecked trailers and unsalable house trailers to store parts.

We paid $150,000 EXTRA for one of five lots, with the... view of Lake Mead and Arizona mountains. It was the largest of five. A total of .52 acres. My trailer is parked in the RV Garage. We were forced to live in the house.

We are, possibly, 280 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Houses in California bring a premium IF they have a view of the Pacific Ocean. A view of the Mohave Desert... priceless and inexpensive in comparison.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Shawn

I would say all these responses are good ones, even the ones who don't see the likelihood of your proposal.

You did put out a very basic question out to a very public forum with a lot of people who have a lot of life experience. Forum members giving you their opinions, pros and cons, also allows you to answer any of those questions you will likely get from your potential investors.

If you haven't already a place to contact might be the Shooting Star RV Park near Escalante Utah. They run an Airstream type of RV Park in a very beautiful area and have had quite a rough go of it. They could maybe be a resource to you.

Being Airstream owners and fans of Southern California (for vacation spots) we would certainly be interested to visit a place like this.

Good luck

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Also consider that an investor who wants a return on investment may not want to put money into California right now.
Closed Thread